Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 06-December 07

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

D/F# Chord Fingering
I know that on the fretboard it is:
BUT what fingers go where?
All I found so far was the regular D fingering, with the thumb sneaking over the edge, and that CAN'T be right!
Thanks
"You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however." - Bach

#2 OFFLINE   Fretsource

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,403 posts
  • Joined 27-May 06

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

Hellview said:

All I found so far was the regular D fingering, with the thumb sneaking over the edge, and that CAN'T be right!
Thanks

It CAN be right. That's how it's most often played. In classical style, though, it's played with 1st finger on str6, 2nd finger on str 3, 3rd finger on str 2 and pinky on str 1.

Other ways to get D/F#' are:
the C shape barred at fret 2 (frets 254232)
or just XX4232

#3 OFFLINE   Noodler

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 06-August 07

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, if you're a rocker, the thumb thing is right, because you might want to play D, D/F#, D/G and you just move your thumb up that one fret to the G. That's surprisingly difficult to do with your index finger. "I'm on the hiiiiiiiighway to...."

#4 OFFLINE   blackcat

• Active Members
  • 120 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

I agree with fretsource, it is the most common fingering for this chord, and with practice, probably the easiest, and i play an acoustic mainly.But if you find it uncomfortable try any fingering you want until you find one that is comfortable.
For a long long time i found the B chord impossible to hold, but as i progressed into barre chords it became much easier because i was playing it a different way.
Now i play lots of chords using different fingerings depending on which chord follows the one i'm playing, when i first started out i was under the impression that i had to use the fingerings i was shown, but of course this is not the case.I'm sure you will develop your own way of playing that is comfortable and economical.
Good luck

#5 OFFLINE   cshude

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 2,330 posts
  • Joined 10-April 06

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:10 AM

Practice and you'll find that sneaking your thumb over for that chord is easy. If you've got fairly large hands you'll likely be able to grab the 5th string with the thumb for some chords as well, so long as the guitar's neck is not too chunky.
Chris

Life- live it.

#6 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,482 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

I tend to leave the high F# out (High E String) and play it like this: 2XO23X

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users