thodwris

Looking for new effects...

Noodler    1

This is a great thread! :yes:

Theo, we're OK, mate. Yeah I'd actually love to own a vintage Marshall stack, but I wouldn't have anything to use it for. Even if I was succesful beyond my wildest dreams: that is, having regular gigs playing pubs and clubs, I'd still never have a use for such a beast! In fact, I've checked it out and even an AC30 is bigger than I need. Orange actually produce small valve amps that have that tone we like so much (Orange Tiny Terror, already mentioned). So I'm taking fly's advice and trying for a smallish valve amp.

I agree with krissovo that modelling can result in more time tweaking than playing. Actually, I've come to think of GAS/ tweaking as a separate hobby to guitar. If I bought a GT8 or 10, I could forget actually playing anything for months.

Stratrat, I can't find Dr Z in Australia! I've even checked the big shops, emailed, etc. I'm looking at a Peavey Classic 30 or a H&K Statesman (both seem big enough), and then learning to play...again...from scratch. Valve amps respond so differently than solid state, and tend to not be as kind in a way. I play percussively and that sounds harsh with the extra punch. Maybe a compressor will help. They seem to magnify your mistakes more than your playing.

To be honest, for a strictly bedroom player, I think a lot of today's modelling amps are probably more fun. Low volume, 0 maintenance, or the Laney with the G1x idea of dejankuki. If I didn't have aspirations of reliving my high-school days and getting back with a drummer, and wasn't into OD (vs Dist) I wouldn't be bothering with a tube amp. My Vox Pathfinder 15 sounds extra good. In fact, it's not valve but I couldn't tell in a blind test. Sweet, sweet amp. I've got my GDEC with some very Bassman-like tones, too.

BTW Theo, I'd love to put up some sound clips, but I haven't figured it out yet. I can only record using Windows Sound recorder. But I've got other stuff to work on first.

thodwris    1

Hello again krissovo...

Once more thank you for your wishes,but....You would have to reach a hundred years to hear some good guitar work from me!!! :laughingg: I am a beginner and it takes time to do good work with the guitar,especially when aiming high...As for the effects,I will do my best and try breifing you...

Thanks again man!Good luck to you and I hope I will be the one listening some of your work as I see you are more experienced.All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello fly and dejankuki...

I know that what you say is true,but you should probably let me live my lie a little bit longer! :) .At first,when I got the G1X and the Fender Frontman 15G,I told myself,that's it!You're good man,you're made!It has been three months from that time(what a long period of time! :) )and I allready ordered new gear!So now,I must convince myself,as I did back then,that I won't be looking for something else for many years or maybe at all!...Want to know some more?Once I have upgraded in guitar equipment,I am already thinking to do the same with my acoustic!Also in the longrun I would want a better electric!I know in a way that it never ends,but I must stay with a choice a little bit longer or else I would have to sell my home(a saying in Greece)in order to keep getting what I wish for! :) Only time will tell...

Take care of yourselves guys,see you around...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello again Noodler...

A friend in Greece owns a big boys amp.I don't know exact the model but I am pretty sure he has a marshall at least 100 watts.It is huge,big enough to be a fridge! :) .It is about 1,50 m high!He plays the guitar for about 15 years now and he started playing live a long time ago.His band was supposed to play live in a pub and the guy(it was his first time playing live then)brought his amp with him.When the owner of the pub saw this beast(as you successfully call them Noodler),got scared and told him not to plug it in cause it would demolish the place as he actually said! :laughingg: So in a way I can see what you are saying...But then,her I come and tell you one thing.You never know your limitations,so if you have the budget and get the chance,get one of those.Who knows?Maybe some day you will play somewhere live,let's say a football stadium and I wiil be there in the front row to enjoy the show!Keep doing your stuff and leave them all with their mouths wide open!!! :)

For the GT-10 I hope it won't be that way.I am thinking that I could study it slowly,let's say for an hour or two at a time.As for practcing I can allways use a clean sound and do my stuff.That's what I have in mind...

As for listening to your work,we could meet on the site's chat room or on skype or something.It's not that big of a problem :winkthumb: ...

Good luck to you doing your thing man,take care...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello again to all...

Yesterday I got my new amp.The difference with the one I had until now is huge!When I plugged it in,I couldn't believe my ears!What stunned me the most though,was the fact that the guitar seems to listen to me better as I play with the new amp!The knobs on the guitar are working better and playing is more easy and more fun!Even in my wildest dreams I could not expect what happened.A big thank you to all who contributed in my decision and especially to fly who insisted on getting a better amp...

Thanks again to all!I will be back next week with news about the GT-10..

All the best,

Theo

Noodler    1

So what did you end up buying, Theo? Was it the Line 6 or something else?

If you bought the Line 6 Spider, are you sure you need the Boss GT-10? What do you expect it to do that the amp doesn't? And you've still got you G1x, right? Just thinking of your wallet, my friend.

There are lots of other cool toys: slides, wah pedals (or does the G1x have that already), Amplugs, a 12" speaker box if your new amp doesn't have a 12", loop station, upgraded pickup. I bought a PH3 Boss Phase Shifter and it didn't occur to me until later I could have gotten a wah wah pedal for cheaper and had more fun. I ended up with both...Anyhow, I'd think of what else I could spend that kind of money on instead of the GT-10. Just an idea for you.

Oh and then there's DVD's, lessons, etc. Lessons with a good teacher are great. Have you had lessons? How have you been learning?

thodwris    1

Hello again Noodler...

I bought the LIne 6 Spider ||| 30...

To answer your question about the GT-10.The amp has 36 presets while the GT-10 has 200.The effects on the amp are 6 different and one can use 3 simultaneously while on the GT-10 the effects are quite unlimited and one can use 13 effects simultaneously.It has 4 pedals,while the amp has none(if I remember correctly with the Line 6 75 watt amp comes a footswitch with two pedals),it has the loop function(up to 40 sec.)which I think will be very helpful if I want to make my own melodies(great stuff,playing a theme in the background and adding something else at the same time),sound modeling COSM,USB port and many other features that in my opinion make the GT-10 special and necessary for me....

The G1X had an expression pedal,nothing too fancy(I don't say it is no good but there is no comparisson between the G1X and the GT-10).IT didn't have the loop function as for instance the GT-10 does not have a drum machine....I sold it,to be able to get the GT-10,maybe on Monday it will be in my hands.I can't wait! :yeahhh:

I know that there are a lot of other options as various pedals,but as a thought,I prefered having it all in one place.I don't say that I am right or something,I just want to experience,see for myself and in the end learn from my mistakes...

Thank you again my friend for your interest,I appreciate it a lot!Good ideas also,but it is a bit too late as the amp is allready in my appartment and the effects on the way...

I know about DVD's.I wanted Kirk's DVD about slide guitar but I would have to order online and I don't have a credit card to do that.I could only buy it from a store or at delivery,but I think it's not an option...

I have a teacher and have been taking lessons from the minute I bought my acoustic guitar.The problem is that he can't really help me with the electric guitar,very unfortunate for me...

Have a good day there,noodler...Thanks again for all.See you around man.Take care of yourself...

Your buddy, :)

Theo

Noodler    1
The problem is that he can't really help me with the electric guitar,very unfortunate for me...
Theo, that's a big problem.:isaynothing: It's obvious you have a passion for the way an electric guitar sounds, and they are different beasts. It seems like you like electric more. Have you though of a different teacher?

Anyway, congrats on the amp. The amp is better than the Pocket Pod, trust me. I hardly ever plug my PP in, because it has too many cords and the battery flap keeps coming off. The PP should be called the spider! Yep, little centre thing with lots of legs coming out everywhere (the cords):lol:

The GT-10 should keep you happy and busy for about 10 years. I reckon when you can use it you should get a hat and a ceremony like so: :smartass::winner: It's top-drawer. Congrats. You will have lots of fun exploring tones. Just don't forget to play guitar too, OK? If you don't know what I mean, you soon will.

Let us know what you think when you get em.

thodwris    1

Helo Dave...

You got it right there!The sweet sound of an electric guitar is the one that gave me the microb(since I first listened to the electric guitar when I was 8 years old it became something like a good disease,something more of a passion)!That's how the world of rock opened before me and since then,allthough I can listen to many kinds and styles of music,I have a special connection with it...

Getting a different teacher?That is really a joke when it comes to Iasi-Romania.You can find guys that played the guitar and say that they can give lessons,but no real teacher.I couldn't find anyone with studies on the guitar,someone that could really guide me and give me important tips,the real deal that could give me a boost,the little detail that really makes the difference...You know,what I say may sound strange,maybe one could say that I am a guy with complex of superiority.It's not like that.I don't think of myself as superior to others(like the guitarists I told you about that played for a while and now give lessons),I just aim high.I allways like to put high goals,expect from myself more.Work hard and proove to myself that I am up to the challenge,that's all...

Thank you for the congrats on the amp.By the way,when are you getting yours?If I got it right you,want the AC30,no?When you get it,please feel free to fill me in...

I know that the GT-10 is a little too much for me for now,as I am only a beginner,but I hope that it will satisfy me.I have a lot of work ahead of me,but that's ok.I think I can manage and proove myself worthy of it...I know what you say.I will try to learn it slowly cause there is no other way.I don't imagine myself not one day trying only to figure out the effects and not play.I got the effects to help me improve,but if I don't play I will only be taking steps back...I will fill you in when I get it,tomorrow I hope...

Thanks again for the tips and your time.By the way,nice joke about the Pocket Pod. :) ...Have a nice weekend there Dave.Nice talking to you...See you around...

All the best,

Theo

Noodler    1
I couldn't find anyone with studies on the guitar,someone that could really guide me and give me important tips,the real deal that could give me a boost,the little detail that really makes the difference...You know,what I say may sound strange,maybe one could say that I am a guy with complex of superiority.It's not like that.
Theo I'm so lucky I actually found two teachers like that!! I know exactly what you mean. Players who do those extra little tricks and things that make you smile and go "Oh Yeah!:yeahhh: " The guy I get lessons with at the moment can sound exactly like SRV! Just makes you smile. I've been blessed. If only I had a teacher like that at 18yo, but I didn't have the money back then, anyway. Sorry you don't have a great teacher, man. Have you tried looking up video tutorials on youtube? Some are as good as lessons. And free!

I bought a Hughes and Kettner 20W tube amp. Nice.

Pulled out the PocketPod (aka Tangles) last night. I think they've fixed the software or something. The editor worked for once. Much more fun when you can tweak it. Funny that.

You'll definitely be able to keep the GT-10 forever. It's their flagship processor, so you shouldn't need anything else for a loooong time.

Distortion with delay. That's where it's at! :smilinguitar:

Anyone here own an Digitech RP of any kind? What do you think of it?

thodwris    1

Hello Dave...

Well,it's very annoying not to be able to learn the secrets of the guitar for me.It is like I am hungry and noone has any food to buy!I will try my best to be able to sign up for Paypal and get some DVD's from the master Kirk.I really love what the guy can do with a guitar.The thing is that it is very different when one has a teacher at home.He is all for himself and he can ask his questions depending where he gets stuck or confused.A lesson on the TV is kind of heartless,cold.That's why I was going for the professor from the first time...That's life though,I need to keep going forward.I hope that when I get a DVD from KIrk that it can proove me wrong,I really do....

Congratulations on your new amp!I am really glad that you are having fun and that you have it going with the Pod too.I wish that a new adventure lies before you now with the new gear.I hope you enjoy as much as possible,do your thing and improve your skills and playing teckniques...

I hope too that I will stick wuth the GT-10 forever!I can't wait exploring it,but it will have to wait unti tomorrow.The dealer said that it will be here Tuesday morning in the end :reallymad: : brickwall: ...

Good luck with the new amp man.Have fun...

See you around...

fly135    5

I recently sold some equipment to a guy that's a guitar teacher. He has a wah with a bad footswitch so I'm replacing the switch in trade for a lesson. I'm hoping he's pretty good so I can hire him for a series of lessons. This will be my first lesson. Something I should have done before.

I have a GNX3 that uses a pair of the same chips that the older RP series used (the AudoDNA chip). I had an offer of a trade for something a while back for an RP250. I kind of wish I took it. The newer units use an AudioDNA2 chip, which is 4x as powerful as the first chip.

Stratrat    0
...Anyone here own an Digitech RP of any kind? What do you think of it?

I have an RP80. The drum beats are great for practicing rhythm and grooving/noodling along with, but I don't like the effects section of it at all. Too difficult to program (pushing buttons, digging through sub-menus, memorizing abbreviations for all the parameters, etc.), and to bypass it and go back to your "clean" sound, you have to step on both pedals at once, which can be tricky.

I like the Boss ME50 much better than the Digitech RP. It's basically a bunch of stomp boxes in one enclosure with separate pedal switches - similar to the GT-10 - but it uses knobs to adjust the controls, just like stomp boxes do. Easy.

My favorite setup is a pedalboard with individual stomps. My current setup is on a homemade pedalboard, and goes something like this:

Guitar > Boss TU-2 (tuner) > BBE Sonic Stomp > MXR Dyna Comp (compressor) > Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive (OD) > Digitech Bad Monkey (OD) > Danelectro Fab Chorus > Danelectro PB&J (delay) > Digitech JamMan (looper) > amp.

I'm currently in the process of revising it, and it's going to end up more like this (on a Pedaltrain PT-2):

Guitar > Korg Pitchblack (tuner) > Compressor (don't know which one yet) > Hermida Zendrive (OD) > Barber Small Fry Burn Unit (OD/dist) > Chorus/Phaser (don't know which one yet) > MXR Carbon Copy (delay) > amp.

The JamMan looper is a very cool pedal, but I'm probably going to leave it off the 'board and hook it up as needed. It's bulky, and I want this new board to be lighter and more streamlined.

Noodler    1

Hi Theo, thanks mate. I haven't tried the pPod with the amp yet. Had it hooked up to computer to try and gat a Bassman model. It was OK, but no dynamics. Same level of overdrive regardless of how hard you pick. I swear I can hear the steps in the OD sounds. It's just so digital.

So I was thinking on selling my pPod and one guitar and buying a Digitech RP. Two different reviews here. I think I might stick with pedals. I do have a Boss RC-2 Loop Station that I don't use. BTW, that's a standard stompbox-sized looper if you want small. Just need to be good at technical stuff. That's why I don't use it! Press this button for three seconds while holding your left earlobe and wearing one yellow sock to go into edit mode. Grrrr. Learning how it works is as much fun as filling out a tax return. But when it works it's great.

I got in trouble for bidding on a Boss ME50 on ebay last night. Hey, it was a bargain.:dunno: I won't win it. It's got a day on it yet. Yeah, they seem good. Put out by Boss and they pitch it as a performance tool. Perfect.