thodwris

Looking for new effects...

fly135    5
Hello to you fly 135...

That is really a question for me.I think that if I use better effects,it could help me better than buying a better amp.That is what I asked stratrat above.I don't know what I should get first,a new amp or better effects.I can not say that my effects do not sound good,they are fine for the moment and I have a lot of fun.But the thing is that I would like to aim a bit higher and look for sounds even more interesting,more satisfying...

The amp that you play your FX through is going to have a big affect on the tone. If you want to improve your sound for recording direct to the computer then you can get a better FX unit. But for listening to yourself play, a better amp will give you the most improvement. I don't recommend get a solid state modeling amp as an upgrade. You already have the GX1 modeler. Spend your money on a nice tube amp. Buying the Line 6 Spider is not much of an upgrade relative to what you have.

The difference is in the cranked sound. A decent tube amp is going to give you superior tone cranked compared to the Line 6. A 15+ Watt tube amp with a 12" speaker (I agree with Noodler that the 12" speaker is much better) would be my suggestion. The Peavey Valveking retails for $400.

Buy Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo Amp online at Musician's Friend

I would consider it because I recently bought an English Muffin off a guy that had the 100watt ValveKing 212 and it sounded awesome. I have a Peavey Classic 30 (tube w/12" speaker). I use only the clean channel and get my distortion from a variety of pedals.

You can use your GX1 with it. It's time consuming to tweak but you can get good tones our of it. In the end it's all about your playing skills. As you get better you will find that you can sound good with any FX box. With a good amp, you can get a better judgement about whatever FX pedals you plug in. With a poor amp, you'll never see the full potential of the guitar or FX pedals.

Unless you are buying FX for recording, the amp should be your first upgrade.

thodwris    1

Hello again fly 135...

I can say that I got the idea about the thing with an amp.At first,when I bought mine,I didn't look for something bigger,cause I play at home and never thought about getting in a band or something.I was thinking that a big amp could not come in handy at home,it would be too loud and I was wright!I can not put the amp that I have to volume 3,the windows are shaking...Anyway,about what you suggested.The amp that I said I am interested in buying is just like your Peavy classic.it has 30 watts power and a 12" tube on.I looked it up before I write this message down just to make sure...So,at first I will try out a new amp and make a little"test drive"to see how it sounds.Although in the future I am thinking of getting better effects also.As the sound will get better,my passion for my guitar will only grow bigger.That is what keeps me going in the first place...

Thanks a lot again for your time and kindness.I never thought of recording something in the computer.I only record myself to see how I improve and I do it with a video camera.I am not so into computers :) ...

Take care there friend,good luck with your instrument and have fun playing...See you...

Theo

fly135    5

Theo, I've been through a lot of multifx units. There are all a lot of work to tweak, and the sound is good but it never seems great. The biggest improvements were amp upgrades and separate pedals. Here's a list of the multifx that I have owned...

GuitarPort

PodXT

Korg AX3G & AX5G

Korg AX1500

GNX2

GNX3

Vox Tonelab

Boss GT-8

Zoom 707 II

Magicstomp

I currently still own the PodXT, GNX3, Zoom 707 II, and two Magicstomps.

The Magicstomps are great because I use them as a pedal on the pedalboard. The Zoom is great for a practice pedal with drum machine. And the GNX3 is good because it has drum machine and an 8 track recorder for recording and hosting backing tracks. I've never had any of my multifx sound quite as good as my pedals. And the wah on my older Zoom 707 II beat the one on the GT-8. The PodXT I'll probably sell soon.

You don't need to crank the tube amp to realize an improvement in sound over something like a line 6. In my experience the tube amp has a warmer sound, and you will *want* to crank it. If you want to get a better FX unit then you should try and buy used, so you can turn it around without losing much. I've never been totally satisfied with any of the multifx units I've bought.

Noodler    1

Fly, that's an interesting read! I've never been willing or able to spend the money on the next level up of multi-fx, but you've owned them. It's telling that you weren't satisfied with them. I especially would have picked the Vox Tonelab and Boss GT-8 to have been pretty good (eg better than an Boss ME-20). They are certainly a level up from the Pocket Pod and old Korg thing I own. 2nd hand is a good idea (go ebay!).

There is definitely a whole new level of sound available from individual pedals. Even cheaper ones. I bought a delay pedal from the supermarket which is great! :yes:

I personally think the Spider III 75W version is pretty good (coming from someone who hates his pocket Pod, BTW), for clean and high-gain metal. But this I think is the crux of it, for both Theo and me:

We like the sound made by big all-tube amps when they are cranked. Not only can it cost thousands (in Australia, add 50% to US prices in real terms) to authentically get this sound, but it's too loud. As Theo was saying, you'd have your windows breaking if you were practicing at home.

That's why I'm looking at things like the H&K 20W Statesman (EL84), the Vox AC15 and the AC30. They can certainly get classic rock, country, blues tones. But for Theo with the bands you like, I'd be looking at the Orange Tiny Terror (you'd want EL34 valves, I reckon).

Thing is, if I buy an AC30, am I going to be able to get decent tones when I'm playing at home (which will be nearly always), without disrupting the neigbourhood?

fly135    5

Noodler, I like the variety of tones I get from my distortion pedals. I run them into the clean channel of my C30. I don't have to crank it to get sounds I like. But when you crank a tube amp it has it's own character. And even at low volume it sounds less harsh than the SS amps I've had.

Even though your dollar is strong, the deals in Aussieland are terrible. I buy and sell through Craigslist and sometimes buy on eBay. I've actually made money owning some of my equipment. I owned the GT-8 for a year and made $15 when I sold it. Made $25 on both the AX1500G and GNX2. Even money on the Tonelab, and my 2 Magicstomps are selling for 2-3x what I paid on eBay.

The Tonelab (tabletop) sounded a little too muddy for my taste. Although it lacked the digital brittleness of the other units. The GT-8 was a good all around unit, but I didn't like the wah at all. The distortion settings weren't good so I was using pedals with it. The Univibe sounded dull. So I just figured that it really didn't offer much I wanted. The AX1500G wasn't really any better than the AX3G tone wise, but that wasn't all bad. But again it was nothing special and it lacked a drum machine.

What I finally came to the conclusion was that they can all be tweaked to sound fairly decent. The whole "this one's good and this one's crap" didn't ring true with me. But my distortion pedals just seemed to always sound better and didn't require a lot of monkeying around. I have two different tube pedals, and a 3 channel tube based preamp. They all sound great even though they are not running the tubes at high voltage. In fact, I don't see that the dirt channel on my C30 sounds any better, or even as good.

In th end if you can play a tune, it will sound good on a multiFX or separate pedals. But the tone I get from my pedals inspires me to play, and the tone I get from my multiFXs inspires me to tweak. That's about the best way to summarize it. The multiFX are strongest for portability and the rhythm machine. My pedal board is too clunky to move.

Stratrat    0
...Thing is, if I buy an AC30, am I going to be able to get decent tones when I'm playing at home (which will be nearly always), without disrupting the neigbourhood?

The AC30 is a master volume amp (i.e. it has a channel volume knob and a "master" knob). This allows you to vary the tone by the interaction between the two volume controls - master up and channel down for clean, channel up and master down for a little more dirt. However, the AC30 is a LOUD amp! A 30W tube amp is a handful for home playing....you *can* play it at reasonable volumes, but it will barely even be breathing and you won't be hearing it's true tone. They're great-sounding amps, but if you buy one you'll probably want to consider getting an attenuator also - you'll like the sound better and won't be "fighting" the amp as much.

thodwris    1

Hello again fly135...

I am not in the music"business"for a long time but I surely want to experiment and find what is good for me,something to get me going.Afterall,as you said,you need somehting inspiring to continue.I haven't made up my mind yet but I think I am interested in the GT-8.Preamp,200 stocked sounds,a greater variety of effects...It is surely a better choice compared to what I have now(or so I think).Well,I'll see...

I was thinking the other day that afterall the fx pedals,amps or all of the guitar gear are something that one can judge by taste.I think it depends what a person likes to hear from his equipment.This depends on what musical preferences he/she has and so on.I figure that without experimenting and seeing for myself I can not really say what is good or wright,nor I can be the same as any other guy that likes his own equipment for his own personal reasons and preferences....

I think you are doing a pretty god job there with your pedals and all.As long as you are enjoying yourself,the more options and new horizons will expand before you.That is good man,that is great!...

Keep up the good work.I wish you all the happiness playing your guitar and enjoying yourself...Take care fly,see you...

thodwris    1

Hello Noodler...

As I see,I guess we kind of have the same taste...You talked about amps.I think you were refering to the AC30CCH.That is way out of my lead and budget!I looked it up and the prices are about 900 $ for it!The one I want to buy is about 300,huge difference!Now as a student I can't afford something this expensive,maybe when I finish here and get a job :) .Also,for me there is no other choice than practicing at home,so the 30 watt amp that I want to get my hands on,will probably have me evicted!! :laughingg: I think that you will come up with problems too.If my 15 watt amp is very loud now,I don't want to imagine what will happen with one that has the double power!..You said about the tiny terror.Here I have a big problem.In Romania where I study,it is too hard to come up with new things.There is a small variety of products and if someone is looking for something really good should make an order(especially when it comes to instruments).The thing is that I found a dealer of fender in Bucharest but that's about it....

So,good luck playing your guitar and enjoying your new amp(when you get it),but mind the poor neighbours! :) Nice talking to you again.Thanks once more for your time.Take care man.See you... :winkthumb:

Noodler    1

Yeah, I'm looking into the Vox Custom Classics, the Hughes and Kettner Statesman (2xEL84, 20W) and now the Peavey Classic 30. Since you're a GASser fly, are you pretty satisfied with your Peavey? I asked a local muso who I'm a fan of what he uses to gig with and he said he uses a Classic 30.

Theo, I've done gigs (supports and sharing the bill) with medium-sized (50W) solid state amps before. I don't want to upgrade to try and copy someone else this time. I've got a tone in my head which is in the ballpark of a lot of music I like, and I want to find an amp that will give me that tone. I'm expecting this amp to be something to grow into. I'm hoping to get back into a band again, so the outlay (over $1000) is an "investment" for something that I hope will last and eventually I will need the wattage. I also want the experience of owning the "real deal" to see how much of the "valve is everything" is true.

If I was a student and wanted to copy my favourite bands' sounds, I'd definiteley go for a Vox valvetronix. It's got a pretty convincing UK 80's model (Marshall Stack) which is exactly what we like for classic rock and you can have it at low volume.

For me, the next bit is hard: going to shops and trying amps out. I don't know if it universal, but the shops I go to are usually pretty rude. I imagine it'll be like :"I'd like to try this amp please." Response; "That's a valve amp, I can't be heating up the tubes unless you're pretty sure you're going to buy it." That happened last time. And I've got to learn some great "wheedly-wheedlies" for the shop too, because there's some real chop-judging goes on. You know, I'll play some country licks and as I leave the shop there'll be some 18 yo sales assistant playing an alternating bassline and laughing. Not a good feeling.:reallymad:

thodwris    1

Hello again Noodler...

I can understand you completely in what you are saying!You have your dream and you want to live it just like the rest of us in this site.I agree with you and your point of view.You should do something of your own,create your style,be yourself(that's great! :winkthumb: ).That is surely something that I would like to do in the long run....

About the amps that you speaked of I would kindly like to make a little suggestion.Since you have high hopes and aim high,why wouldn't you look for something even greater?What about a marshall amp,or something that the"big boys"use?I think it should make the difference(not necesserally with a big difference in budget) and make you feel better yourself! :yes: ...

As for me,well,I am too far away from what I have in mind.In the beginning I thought that the sound of the guitar doesn't depend so much in guitar gear,I thought that"big toys were for big boys".That when you play at home a low budget is good enough and that one should look for something more expensive as he goes live and of course depending wher he plays(a little bar or a big stadium).In these last days I have learnt from all of you a great deal of things that totally changed my perspective and point of view.I am kind of sad I should say :crying2: .I would need too big a budget to sound as I wished for,for all my life...

Today I went in a shop and ordered new gear for my guitar.The line 6 Spider 30 and the Boss GT-8(Unfortunately,I couldn't find the Vox Valvetronic here).I don't know how it will sound but I am sure that I will get a much better sound from the one I now have.I hope it will give the boost that I am looking for and make feel excited.I am looking forward to test them all together :yeahhh:

As for what you said about testing gear your are so wright.It is definitely annoying but in a way I can understand the guys in a shop.There must be(and I think there are)a lot of people that in order to fill up their time,go and pretend to test an amp without any real purpose of buying.Maybe the best way should for every brand to provide the guitar shops with a test amp(something like car companies do with the test drive car.:) )but in this occasion we should be talking about a very very big shop!Well,that's life I suppose with it's ups and down's...

Finally,what I feel I should do is thank all of you guys :claping: for explaining and showing me what reality means,for bringing my feet back on the ground.Especially you my dear Noodler.It is a great feeling to hang around this site,get to know you and learn so much about the thing I like doing best in my free time,my passion,or something more like an obsession... :)

Thanks again Noodler,maybe some day we will meet in the chat room..Take care of yourself man.It is a great pleasure talking to you.See you...

Noodler    1

Hi Theo,

If you buy the Spider III, I wouldn't buy the Boss GT-8 at the same time. The Spider III has built-in FX. Having the GT-8 as well is a bit of overkill. You'd be better off going for a bigger Spider (like the 75W). being solid state, you don't need to turn the Spider up loud to get a good tone, so you could play a 75W quietly.

About the amps that you speaked of I would kindly like to make a little suggestion.Since you have high hopes and aim high,why wouldn't you look for something even greater?What about a marshall amp,or something that the"big boys"use?I think it should make the difference(not necesserally with a big difference in budget) and make you feel better yourself!

Even if/when I get to gigging again, a Marshall half-stack is still going to be too big for what I need. My local heroes use things like the Peavey Classic 30 and Vox AC15 to play live, even though they own "big boys" amps, like Fender Twins, because the venues are too small. You can always mic up a smaller amp. If I go for an AC30, that is a "big boys" amp. It was used by the Beatles, the Who, Brian May. The tone I want is like a Fender Bassman, but that is far too big, and the smaller Fenders don't sound anything like it.

It is going to be such a thrill for you to learn the exact licks from songs you like. Try and get some proper "official" tab books if you can, so you get the exact fingerings. Go for a Deep Purple "Machine Head" book, or something like that. Lots of great riffs to play. Once you get into that, you'll probably forget gear a bit while you're a student. The thrill will be getting the riffs right. :smilinguitar:

By the way, Line 6 has a flavour (just like Fender or Vox), so try it out first! You'll either like it or you won't. It is a little bit plastic or something, but in a pleasing way. I like it for metal and cleans (best tremolo effect I've played).

As for me, I'm going for the next level up because I'm working full-time (first time I've been able to own something like that), I've been playing guitar for a long time (so I know I'm not going to give it up next week) and my playing has probably reached that level (I can play). If I have an maintenance isuses, I'm downgrading to a Valvetronix!

fly135    5

I agree with noodler. The Line 6 and the Boss GT-8 are probably not a good fit. The Line 6 is a modeling amp. You are paying for the effects that you will get in the GT-8.

thodwris    1

Hello Noodler,hello friend...

I was checking out what you said about the amp.The thing is that as I saw,the amp you are speaking of has even more effects than the one I want to buy.I am kind of confused :dunno: .I think though,that if someone has an amp with effects,can allways play without them.I am thinking something like playing clean on the amp and using the effects from the effects pedal...

As for the amp you have got your eyes on.First,I feel that I must explain myself.When I talked about big boys equipment I was refering to what big bands use to go live in a rather big space.I am in no position to know what the Beatles used years ago(thanks for tipping me cause I like knowing things and learning new stuff),I know what is going on nowadays(and that with not so many details,remember,I am not a musician or a specialist :) ).When I used the expression,big boys with big toys,I DID NOT want in any way to offend you or show off!Even if you understood what I was talking about I felt the need to explain,cause you know,one can never say exactly what he wants in a few sentences and in a short message.I wouldn't want you,or any other guy here to get the wrong impression about me... :) ...

Secondly,I keep learning from you as you go on speaking about bands and concerts.I guess you have got it all figured out in how you must proceed to get exactly what you want.That's cool...About amps and good sound,I was watching some videos on youtube and I saw that there are a lot af guys playing with two amps at the same time in order to get even better sound.Effects like the boss I want to purchase do give you that option.I noticed that with two amps one can work miracles!Also,in music there will allways be better equipment from what one has at the moment.Another thing is that there were guys that played with smaller amps,like the one I wish to get,and good effects,that with the wright settings had a very interesting sound,something like the sound/s that I want to get.I guess experience has a great word in this matter...

You mentioned books.That is another big problem here where I study.I must search some stores and see if I can order.Anyway,now I am playing with guitar pro 5 and it is really helpfull.The tabs I have are pretty much the same thing,as various bands play(I would say that they are the exact ones).Now I am working my arpeggios with songs like love conquers all from Deep Purple and send me an angel from Scorpions.I also do some solos(slow ones but good enough for the speed I can handle),fingerstyle songs as dust in the wind and nothing else matters,a beginner lesson for tapping that I got from allthumbs in this site and various stuff using scales.I am pretty happy with my level and what I have been playing up to now and I hope that by getting better sound I will be even more motivated to push it some more and feel more excited than ever :yeahhh: !!!I am looking forward to it!...

As for you,I think you are doing just fine!Get what you want to feel more complete and keep on rocking!! :yes: I would surely want to hear some of your playing sometime....

Take care of yourself man!Nice talking to you again!Good luck with anything you do...See you...

thodwris    1

Hello fly..

As I also said to noodler,I think there must be some way to play only with the effects from the effects pedal,maybe just playing a clean sound with the amp.I hope it doesn't turn to be a big problem....

Thanks man...See you...

Stratrat    0

Just to throw another wrench into the mix (my .02 from owning a couple of modeling amps) - the onboard effects/amp models are great, but the difficulty comes when/if you're playing a song that requires you to add/subtract fx somewhere in the middle of the song (think something like ZZ Top's "La Grange", where you have to go from clean to dirty) - it's difficult to reach over to the amp and tweak the fx while playing. That's where stomp boxes come in handy.

I've experimented with a little bit of everything so far - modeling amps and tube amps, multi-fx and stomp boxes. I love my Micro Cube and the Vox AD30VT, but my favorite setup is a good tube amp and a pedal board with individual effects pedals. I dial my amp to get the "base sound" I like, then use the pedals as needed for flavor.

By the way, Line 6 has a flavour (just like Fender or Vox), so try it out first! You'll either like it or you won't.

+1 to that advice. I'm personally not a fan of the Line 6 amps at all - but that's probably because I don't play metal, which seems to be their target market. Tone is a very subjective thing, and there is no right or wrong answer - just what "works" for each of us.

About the amps that you speaked of I would kindly like to make a little suggestion.Since you have high hopes and aim high,why wouldn't you look for something even greater?What about a marshall amp,or something that the"big boys"use?I think it should make the difference(not necesserally with a big difference in budget) and make you feel better yourself!

The "big boys" have used just about every amp known to man at one time or another. The Marshall stack is the 'cliche' rocker's amp, but many famous rock guitarists have used other amps; Fender, Vox, Kustom, Hiwatt, Crate, Mesa/Boogie, Peavey, Supro, etc., etc. The AC30 that Noodler is looking at is definitely a pro-caliber amp, and has been used by many of the "big boys" over the years. A good 30-watt tube amp will easily cover gigging in any small to medium-sized venue by itself....and if you're playing huge outdoor festivals or arenas (I don't know about Noodler, but I know *I* won't have to worry about that anytime soon! :yes:), you'll be mic'ing it up through the PA system anyways.

If I have an maintenance isuses, I'm downgrading to a Valvetronix!

Awwww, don't do that - sell it, save up for a little bit and move up to a Dr. Z!!! :winkthumb:

thodwris    1

Hello again stratrat...

First of all in my case,I think it will take forever til I will need to play a song and change quickly between sounds.The thing with me is that I have never thought of being in a band,actually,I don't want that.When playing at home,I could allways keep the amp close to me and change fast enough :laughingg: !!Anyway,the reason that I started playing the guitar is for personal joy only! :) .You know,I judge myself very strict and to allow myself to even think of playing in a band,it should take about ten years or so.So I have a long time ahead of me to think :)

As for the different models of amps or effects,I should take it easy.There are a lot of different opinions and maybe afterall the best gear for someone is the one that he,individually feels better with...I think that the spider 30 will be just fine for now,since it is ment for metal...I just love metal :yes: ...

Thanks again man for filling in some gaps...Have fun with your guitar...See you...

dejankuki    0

I read this thread, and I see that nobody mention this...

Leany LX65R

558455_800.jpg

LANEY LX65R - Greek International Cyberstore

This Amp is veeeery good..

Is cheap... 'round 200E (211E actualy)

My neighbour had purchase it two weeks ago, and I try it. Beleive me it is superb..

Good clean sound, 12' speaker, reverb onboard, Overdive channel.. which is veeery good when you practise and don't wanna plug your processor..

You dont need another processor, take youre G1X and you will have good tone...

Another thing, this amp have headphone output, so when you plug headphone main speaker is silent and you can practise without disturbing anyone...

I'm veery thrilled...

You don't have to by another processor, Just this...

line 6 is a modeling amp with bunch of simulations, probably 70% of them you wouldn't need it.. This one have everything you need..

I said, gooooood clean tone, enough power (65W) and ...

It's cheap...

Line 6 is 200E, boss GT8 is another 300-400 E (It depends it you buy it used or new), what, it is 450-600E already...

Go on the shop and try this one with your guitar and G1X, and you see... wiil it this combination is good for you...

And I'm 98% shure that it WILL!

fly135    5

I agree with dejan about your costs... I'd rather play the GX1 through a nice little tube amp then the GT-8 through a Spider. Take the money from the GT-8 and Line 6 amp and get a decent tube based amp.

thodwris    1

Hello dejankuki...

Thanks a lot for the tip and your time.It really honours me that you posted the amp you would suggest from a shop in Greece. :claping: ...

It is never too late for anything when it comes for the amp,but as for the effects I allready ordered.The GT-8 was kind of hard to find new so I went for the new GT-10.It should arrive here in about a week...The amp is not so expensive so in the shop,they will find someone to buy it but as for the effects,it will be too hard.I don't think that anyone in Iasi-Romania(exactly where I study),would want to spend about 450 euro(that's about the price for the effects in europe)on effects.Way too expensive.Some guys that I met at the store play with a Fender Squier made in China at 150 euro and amps that I have never heard of...Anyway...Oh,I forgot.The amp you are syggesting is not in any store here(called in and checked out),so I would have to order it and then buy it!No matter what...

As I said before,I need to experiment a lot more to see what is good for me and what isn't.It doesn't matter for me if I would use the effects on the pedal or amp,I really go after choices.It is better to have more than you will ever need than less,that's what I allways say.The guitar is my passion,I think it is worth the money,especially when I will have to do it once and not every month....In the end,I am not a professional guitarist to know what is good or bad,right or wrong.I MUST experiment and see.If now that I will get my new gear I will see that the difference that I was looking for was all in the amp,then I will know that I was wrong.But I can't help myself looking for something"special"that will make the difference for me,that's why I bother in the first place...

Once more,thank you for your time,the tip and your kindness going to all that trouble to help me.I really don't have the words to explain my gratitude... :clap:

As for the amp yu said,if they give me the chance in the shop,I will definitely go for it...

Have a nice day and good luck with anything you do,with your life in general...See you man...

As for fly,well I know from the start that you suggested to go for a better amp and keep the effects I have right now.Thanks again fly.A good day to you too...

fly135    5

Theo, you'll be the first one here to get a GT-10. So we'll expect a full report. I think you will like it. The chorus, delay, and reverb on my GT-8 sounded great. One of the strengths of the GT-8 was including chorus you could have three modulation FX active at the same time. Many FX units can only have one.

Also, remember that modeling units like the GT-10 can be used with a PA, Keyboard amp, or even a stereo with good results.

thodwris    1

Hello again fly....

I think I will get my hands on the new gear,Monday.I will need some time to get familiar with it and see how things work and afterwards with great pleasure I will tell you what I think.Do not expect any expert opinion though,I only used up to now the G1X so my experience is not that big! :) .I promise that I will do my best.The thing I want to see is that connection with USB,I am curious and also I am crazy about the loop thing that the GT-8 also has...

Thanks again for the tips...Keep in mind that I may ned some more regarding the new effects,from the moment you know Boss well...Take care of yourself fly.I'll be seeing you...

krissovo    0

Good luck with the Boss however I have a doubt you will get what you are looking for from the GT10.

I only say this due to your limited experience with effects units, if you had any trouble with the great value G1x unit then the GT10 will be like trying to climb everest with one arm and leg and no oxygen!

These big units are quite complicated and while you can get great tone out any of the well known MFX units for every great tone is a 100 even a 1000 bad fizzy tones that are awful. Tie these bad tones with a poor amp and you are in a bad state.

I bought a GT8 quite early into my guitar palying and it was sold within weeks as it took an age to dial in a good tone. I was spending more time learning the unit than playing guitar! I went to pedals soon after and the next period made me appriciate each of my effects. After a couple of months I was back on the MFX but I could dial in tones much much quicker and they were quite nice even!

My history of MFX is

Zoom G2.1u

Zoom G7 (My gig unit)

Line 6 Pod 2 - Highly recomend for a noobie or someone who wants quick tones

Digitech Jim Hendrix pedal - Uber Cool! Very specialised

Boss GT8

Line 6 pod x3 (soon to be my gig unit)

I still have all the units apart from the G2 and the GT8 as they all bring something to the mix. If I were to recomend a starter mfx unit it would have to be the pod 2. Its simple, great support online and also a tone website where you can download artist tones...Easy!

Anyway I do hope you fall in love with the GT10, it is a great unit but step leaning curve.

All the best!

thodwris    1

Hello krissovo...

The idea with the G1X was not that I had trouble with it,but that I got bored of it too fast.I don't say that it doesn't have interesting effects or that it is not good for a beginner,I say that I felt like it was limited.The spec I loved best about it was the drum machine and yet,it was limited.I could say that it wasn't for my taste...

Let's get to te GT-10.I know that experience comes along the way.I am not afraid to study the effects,sit down spending hours trying to figure it out.As a matter of fact,I know that it's exactly what I"m going to do the minute I get my hands on it.I am too excited :yes: to just stand and stare and I don't give up easily,so I am confident that it will all be ok.I understand what you were trying to say though...

Interestin history you have got there with effects.I surely hope I stop at the one I am getting.As for effects that give tones easily,well,up to now I am kind of convinced that easy is not that sofisticated.Maybe I'll have to struggle to get something that will inspire me and keep me going...I also hope to fall in love with the GT-10 and keep it as my life partner! :yeahhh:

Thank you for the useful advice and your time.Good luck playing your guitar and doing your thing!Keep on rocking America!!! :thumbup:

All the best to you too.

Theo

krissovo    0

Thats dedication, as said already best of luck with the GT10 and keep us up to date how you get on.

Looking forward to hear some killer guitar work from you!

fly135    5
Interestin history you have got there with effects.I surely hope I stop at the one I am getting.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It never stops:surrender