thodwris

Looking for new effects...

thodwris    1

Hello...

I am looking for new effects for my guitar...I wander if someone knows some type of equipment that has stocked various sounds for solo.I can not get clear,smooth,sweet sound from my effects pedal and that is what I am looking for...

Thank you,

Theo

Stratrat    0

What pedal do you have now, what guitar are you playing, what amp are you playing it through, and what style of music are you playing? All those things can make a big difference.

Also keep in mind the old saying that "tone is in the fingers". If you don't have clear, smooth sound coming from your fingers on the guitar, no pedal is going to make it sound that way.

thodwris    1

Here it is...

I have the G1X pedal,it is my first one ever.I play the stratocaster HSS Upgrade,tha amp is a fender 15W and the style of music I like to play is rock,hard rock and heavy metal...

I hope that wil be helpful...

I can not say that I am a guitarist,but I can play clearly enough.I would think of me as a looser not to be able to play clean and blame the guitar or anything else.The problem is all melodic.In order to get some good sound out of any effects,one should have the correct settings,as I know so far.It depends on the effects also.I have a cheap one and I thought that it can not offer what an expensive one could.I was thinking more of something with presets of sounds like from a solo from Iron Maiden or Deep Purple,or Rainbow,or Malmsteen and so on...I thought of asking here and trust you guys instead of a sailsman that is looking to make sales...

Thank you for your time...

Noodler    1

Hi Man,

Experiment. Spend the time to read the manual and just play with your multi-fx. One thing I heard which is so true is, "No-one becomes master of their multi-fx overnight."

For metal try some distortion and some delay (300ms). Don't worry about any other effects at first, just start with those two. Just play around with your delay time. Try 1 sec, then back to 100ms, what happens? How does it sound different? A totally different type of sound. 400ms might be good for some metal leads. Then change the next parameter, it might be called "feedback", play with it, starting at 300ms. Do the same thing. You will find some sounds you like using just those 2. Forget phaser, chorus, autowah and reverb stuff for now. Just concentrate on delay and distortion.

dejankuki    0

Ok. You have G1X processor...

I'm pretty shure that G1X have many effects you need, just you don't know what to use...

In first you want to use distortion...

then you might use delay... it is said here...

but you might add a little flanger... or chorus.. or even phaser in your setup.

Reverbs are pretty good in making the solo mood in your sound.

Octaver too...

Be aware, modulation FX can be tricky when you gave them over 50% in your solo sound. So keep them around 30-40% and this will be just fine... time. it depends what effects are using...

BTW modulation FX are, phaser, chorus, flanger, pitch, ring modulation and like that... FX that modulate your original sound...

FX with time base are so good when you looking for a extended sound, Delays for instance... reverbs also...

Not that they can prolonge you sound but may add wider feeling of your sound...

Delays... from 280 to 380ms will be just fine. Reverbs, just to hear that you have them, not to full you sound like you play in taj-mahal... just a little... around 25% of your sound needs to be reverberated... if you have pre delay in your reverb section... keep themaround 30ms...

Spring reverb, Hall reverb, Stereo (a.k.a. ping-pong) delay can be veery funny to work with...

And at last you may experiment with sounds... and maybe make you own exclusive tone... why not...

Oh yes, wah... it's always good to have little enhanced tone with wah... auto or manual (with pedal)... nevermind but you may add wah...

Here must say that wah isn't good with delays... but... try...

But first you need to find sting with your EQ... this means that you nedd to make goooood sound of your guitar before any other FX, then you can start adding other....

Hope I help... :dunno:

thodwris    1

Hello Noobler...

At first I would like to thank you for your advice.Secondly I must say that you are wright.I don't know my effects yet.I posted my question hoping for some gear with allready stored sounds.I did that cause I thought that having something more expensive would also be more effective.At the moment I have found some good sounds that are all right but I was trying to find that something special that would give me the edge and blast me to another universe!...

I will surely put your advice in practice and see what happens.

Thanks again for your time and advice...

Sincerelly yours...

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello dejankuki...

Thank you for your advice....

I think your info will be rather useful.So many things that you said,how many ways you tried to explain.The only thing remainig for me now is to try and see how all that works.It wiil take me a while,meaning a lot of time,to go through all that but I must say that now I have a clearer opinion on how things work with sound effects....As you said,I must put my head down and work as hard as I can waiting hopefuly for a good outcome...

The sounds that I use now are mostly what I tried and found myself(tried different combinations of sounds).I should try to experiment a lot more and surely with all that help I should get to the bottom of it....

Thank you again for being so kind and dedicating so much time to write down and explain to me how things work.I appreciate it much,I am grateful....

Sincerelly yours,

Theo

dejankuki    0

I didn't use G1X specificaly, but I'm also shure that he have allready stored at leat 30 paches (maybe more) with various setups...

One thing is shure.... DON'T BE AFRAID to use all FX you can use at once... later you will find that you will use as many as you need but don't be afraid...

Yes... it's a easier to start with one... or two FX at once and by growing experience you can add more and more... this also ain't bad way... feel fre to use any way you find amusive first!! Way that doesn't make you head explode ;) (little joke ;) )

Stratrat    0
....I posted my question hoping for some gear with allready stored sounds...

Check out Line6 (amps and multi-fx) - some of their products have various "artist" presets. I don't know how 'real' they sound, but they're there.

dejankuki    0

Hmm yes, you are right!

Spider amps and pocket POD....

But I found that is better to have some learning curve with your own tryings rather then allready pre-set from anybody :)

Sentry    0

Hi thodwris,

I don't know my effects either, in fact I'm probably even newer to guitar than you are so the following bit of advice is in no way intended to contradict what others have said. I'm a total n00b and don't know guitars. However, I'm a professional computer nerd and I do know a thing or two about computers. If you already own a Macintosh computer made within the past couple years you may be able to try out many dozens of effects (and hundreds of combinations of effects), all for the cost of a 1/4" to 1/8" audio jack adapter (under $5). See my post here. I've done more than a bit of this already and will be doing a lot more later tonight after I've finished changing strings and in the months ahead. In fact I forsee using my Mac as an amp almost exclusively and leaving my little Peavey to gather dust.

Of course, using Apple's Garageband software will not tell you anything at all about the difference between what a fuzzbox made by "Company Foo" sounds like compared to one made by "Company Bar", but I have found it very helpful in learning what the difference between, for example, overdrive and distortion is. I've even started being able to sometimes recognize what effects are being used in songs I hear on the radio! Okay, so maybe most wouldn't think that's anything to get excited about but I'm rather pleased. :D

[EDIT]

Why on earth was the word "radio" automatically turned into a link?

Noodler    1

If you've got a G1X, don't buy a Pocket Pod.

Let's be clear about this. The G1X is average. You'll get some semi-decent sounds out of it after you've played with it for a while, but it's not ever going to sound like your favourite artist. Neither is the Pocket Pod, despite the sales pitch. I own one. It's no better than what you own now, except that you can choose preset tones. It's actually a pain in the behind to use. Too many cords. Grr. Should be called "the octopus" or "the Tangle." It eats batteries, so you have to plug in to a wall wart, too.

A Line 6 Spider amp might be good though, like a Spider III, especially for metal.

Stratrat, the presets sound great if you play a Les Paul through a JCM 800 (seriously):

YouTube - Line 6 Pocket POD Demo

But wouldn't that sound good anyway?

What you end up with is hundreds of presets by bands you've never heard of! I'm still trying to get a decent blues tone out of mine with the tweaking software. So unless you have a Les Paul and a Marshall JCM 800, you can only go down from the standard in that video. It does some high-gain metal OK though. My 2c is that the pocket pod is too awkward, and the G1X has plenty of plastic sounds on tap to play with.

Is the Boss ME-20 any better? Anyone own one?

Noodler    1
Hi thodwris,

[EDIT]

Why on earth was the word "radio" automatically turned into a link?

Hi Sentry,

The site is owned (is that the right word?) by Kirk Lorange. Kirk promotes his products here. Namely Plane Talk (an instructional DVD and book), a Slide DVD in standard and dropped D tunings, a slide rule (comes with PT), his lessons (see the top of the page). That's why when you use a word like slide it comes up as a link. Obviously running a site isn't free, and it's a refreshing change from the usual pop-ups and junk advertising on other sites. You can watch Kirk playing by clicking on a lesson above.

dejankuki    0

Noodler!!!

You are right!!!

I mentioned pocket POD and Spider in a way which line6 have artist preset!!! I didn't much operate with Pocket...

But I was tested Spider,

Spider III is a great amp, but, when it comes to searching your own settings... this is where amp is good. For every type of music!

Those +200 presetts are much the same as on pocket POD... so someone can use it, someone don't

What? You end up with is hundreds of presets by bands you've never heard of!

again you are right...

About ME-20 OMG it's a veery fine, very fine, but it is a bit off topic here, so maybe we continue talk about it in another topic... (maybe such topic exist on this forum?) I've tested this also!!! great processor...

So we came all way in circle to tel Thodwris to use G1X and to learn how to make his own patch...

and then again he have 15W amp...

with all do respect but there is no way to make THE GREAT tone out of it.. even if he have T.C. G-system ;)

But he may learn to make paches... listen to them, change them...

and finaly find HIS own sound...on G1X...

Stratrat    0
...Stratrat, the presets sound great if you play a Les Paul through a JCM 800 (seriously):

YouTube - Line 6 Pocket POD Demo

But wouldn't that sound good anyway?

Exactly. If you're playing a Les Paul through a JCM 800, adding a low-budget multi-fx processor into the mix would definitely be a step in the wrong direction....kinda like putting skateboard wheels on a Lamborghini! :yes:

Noodler    1

Interesting take on that stratrat! I was actually thinking the other way around. ie the cheap multi fx only sounded half-decent in that clip because of the expensive (good) guitar and amp. You can tell I'm not a fan, huh? Sounds are OK, just too many cords to plug in "The Tangle." I had a listen to a Zoom G2 demo today and it had some pretty tasty delays. I wonder if anyone (else) here owns a g1x.

I terms of getting a good sound easliy, I liked the Spider which has the knobs that you turn that have 3 effects per knob. Was easy to get a good sound using that, even in a store. Pocket pod is complicated to tweak.

dejankuki, I totally agree with you. You've got to learn to dial in your own tones. One of my main amps is a GDEC by Fender. I love it. No, it doesn't get a Marshall Stack sound just like a 100W all valve head through 4x12 inch speakers, but with a lot of tweaking and experimenting I've got some tones I truly love, and that's from a relatively cheap solid state "toy." And because I dialled them in myself, I'm proud of them and they're special to me. My sounds. Just like you're saying. Thodwris has just got to roll up his sleeves and experiment (preferably after having a cup of tea while reading the manual).

thodwris    1

Hello Sentry and thank you for your adviice...

The thing is that I don't know much about computers myself.I don't have the computer you said also so it will be very difficuult for me to try out what you said.Well,may be in the longrun....Thank you again for your time and be sure that if I will want to go your way,your post here is the first thing that I will be checking out...

Take care man...

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello again stratrat and dejankuki...

As I mentioned I am new to the guitar.I posted the question trying to find some expert opinion in guitar gear.If I could know all that you said about giutar amps and effects and the way they work together,then I wouldn't answer the question in the first place.I am no musician,I am only a beginner and I bought what I thought would be good enough for starters.No rookie driver buys a sports car.I thought that expensive gear do make the difference but mostly for some band playing live in a big stadium,for someone playing the guitar for many years having huge experience like you guys and certainly not for me.The whole idea was in what way I could use what I have the best way possible,or buy some better effects and somehow deal with the problem.If I knew that in order to get a better sound I should also change the amp,well,I would settle for what I have.I guess I wanted to live my dream and get the most of what I am playing,listen as close as possible the sweet sound of a guitar solo from a great band in my amp,but as I see it will have to wait...

Thank you again for your time and advice.I hope I make the best decision and find what I was looking for.I guess I wil have to experiment a lot more an maybe find my own sound as dejankuki said(I have found my own sound but I can't help myself looking for something better).Or maybe I should try out some gear from line 6 as stratrat said.Thank you again both...

Take care of yourselves and have fun...

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello again Noobler...

Interesting theories you have got there!After reading what you said I am thinking of checking out the line 6 amp and the boss effects.I have heard other guys saying how good they get along with it,but I did not know which model I should try out.Too bad that I can't get a store here where I could actually test and see for myself the differences compared to what I have now.I thought that good effects are all about the presets but as I see now,all of you who took the time to write down some things are not wrong.Maybe I should find out first the limitations of my effects and then decide if I want to move on to something better.Allthough as I said I am thinking very seriously to check out new things.I guess I am too impatient :) ....

Thank you again for your time and kindness...

Take care man...

Stratrat    0

Thodwris,

If you want help setting up your Zoom multi-fx, one of the best things you could do would be to see if you can find a user forum where people specifically discuss Zoom effects. I'm not sure if one exists for Zoom, but I've seen them for Line6, Digitech, etc. In such forums, users often post "patches" (effects settings) they've made and share tips for programming them, tweaking the settings, etc.

All of that is the exact reason I'm not a big fan of multi-fx devices. I bought a Digitech RP-80 a couple of years ago, and didn't like it because I spent more time tweaking patches than I did actually practicing the guitar. The RP-80 is now gathering dust up in my closet somewhere. The only one I've found that I like is the Boss ME50, because it's built more like a series of stompboxes - much easier to tweak than pushing buttons, digging through menus and punching in arcane parameter abbreviations. You just twist a few knobs and you're good to go.

Interesting take on that stratrat! I was actually thinking the other way around. ie the cheap multi fx only sounded half-decent in that clip because of the expensive (good) guitar and amp.

I think we were kind of aiming at the same thing - what I was saying was that a Les Paul through a JCM 800 would sound good enough by itself (if you could crank it up enough to get the amp cooking) that it wouldn't need a Line6 effects box to get a good "crunch" going on. The artificial, fizzy digital distortion from a multi-fx box would only degrade something that sounded great in the first place.

fly135    5

thodwris,

You should be able to get some decent tones out of that G1X. If you're playing it through a low end Fender 15watt SS practice amp, then I'd suggest getting am amp upgrade. A small tube amp should improve your sound.

I've got an older Zoom 707 II that can be tweaked to sound fairly good. Use the rhythm machine that comes with your G1X to practice with. It will help with your timing.

Noodler    1
No rookie driver buys a sports car.I thought that expensive gear do make the difference but mostly for some band playing live in a big stadium,for someone playing the guitar for many years having huge experience like you guys and certainly not for me.The whole idea was in what way I could use what I have the best way possible,or buy some better effects and somehow deal with the problem.If I knew that in order to get a better sound I should also change the amp,well,I would settle for what I have.I guess I wanted to live my dream and get the most of what I am playing,listen as close as possible the sweet sound of a guitar solo from a great band in my amp,but as I see it will have to wait...

Theo

That's the exact problem, Theo, depending on what you like. I first loved bands like ACDC, Jimi Hendrix, Guns and Roses and Metallica who had a Marshall Stack sound. Truth be told those guys use a 100W (or 2) all-tube Marshall head through a boxes of speakers with 4 x12 inch speakers per box. It has a real sense of power. It's not actually very distorted. That sound is gotten a very specific way. And when those guys recorded what we listen to (even on tape) they got complaints about the noise. Strictly speaking it is probably just not possible to sound exactly like your favourite band at home volume levels and without a Marshal stack.

A compromise someone like me could go for is an Orange Tiny Terror combo. It has two key elements of what I like. It is valve. It has a 12" speaker. You'll need a 12" speaker to get that sense of power, IMO.

However, the world of guitar works like this: There are guitar heros and songs that everyone likes and tries to copy. The main one is Back in Black by ACDC. So much equipment gets sold promising to sound like Angus' guitar on that song. Anyway, probably more guitar equipment has been sold on the promise of sounding "like a Marshall stack" (complete with presets like "Back Black") than ACDC made from that song! My opinion at the end of the day is that you are never going to sound exactly like that, even when you can play the songs (ACDC isn't hard), because a big part of what people like about that sound only comes at concert volumes. So, stop pretending, and go for something in your price range that you like the sound of. The hard thing is that it doesn't sound like you've got a shop nearby, so you are a bit reliant on marketing which it tough, because that's designed to sell stuff.

I was about to buy a Vox Valvetronix this weekend, but my wife said to me, "You'll just want a real valve amp once you bring that home." So she's making me save for a Hughes and Kettner Statesman. It is it's own thing. It talks about Calif (Fender) and British (Vox and Marshall) sounds, but it is really it's own thing. Watch out for marketing that promises for you to sound like your hero's $5,000 rig for $150! Valvetronix, BTW, seems good.

thodwris    1

Hello again stratrat and thank you for your kindness...

The G1X pedal is not so advanced to give me the posibility to make fine adjustments.Maybe something from boss could do the job.But here is a question for you.Would the line 6 spider ||| 30 be any better from my own?Would I improve my sound(having an amp with 30 watts instead of 15,but without multi speakers)or maybe if I don't get good effects also it doesn't make any real difference?What I want to ask is if the line 6 that I mentioned is a good choice or if I wanted to really make a difference I should get a more advanced amp?...

I hope I find the solution to my problem and after talking to all of you I can say I am in the right direction.Finally,I hope I get to improve as I hope I can,to really deserv my guitar and equipment.I know only one thing.MY dream si coming true and I can't wait to learn every day something new...

Thanks again stratrat...

Good luck with your life man...

Sincerelly yours,

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello to you fly 135...

That is really a question for me.I think that if I use better effects,it could help me better than buying a better amp.That is what I asked stratrat above.I don't know what I should get first,a new amp or better effects.I can not say that my effects do not sound good,they are fine for the moment and I have a lot of fun.But the thing is that I would like to aim a bit higher and look for sounds even more interesting,more satisfying...

Good luck with your guitar and have fun playing.Thank you for your advice...

See you...

thodwris    1

Hello again Noodler(I got it wright this time,up to now I was refering to you as Noobler,sorry for that :isaynothing: )...

The answer you gave me is really helpfull!You commented on the problem from all the angles and gave me a good idea about how things stand....

My favorite bands are mostly more melodic like Iron Maiden or Deep Purple.I like approximativelly all metal sounds and the bands I mentioned are a slight preferenceThey have a metal sound,strong sound combined with a lot of changes in the rythm in one song and also beautiful and interesting solos.Some bands nowadays could get one song from them and make ten songs out of it!That doesn't mean that I don't listen to Metallica.One of my favorite bands as I was a child was Motorhead!I also like classic rock and that is why I also play acoustic,songs like dust in the wind or stairway to heaven or songs that are played with an acoustic and sound great like nothing else matters...

About the idea of plying with what one can afford.You know,I have a way great passion for the guitar to settle down with what I have.Maybe I can't afford equipment that cost thousands of dollars but I could find something more for my budget that can be really good.As I said,in my opiinion really expensive stuff do make the difference when someone is playing in a band,in a live at a big stadium.At home you know,I can't work with too many watts,the whole building will fall down after all the glass will be shattered! :) .I am thinking of getting a 30 watt amp like a line6 spider ||| 30 and maybe boss ME-50 or GT-6.It will have to wait though cause I don't have the money right now but I think I could get it somewhere in the close future...

I will check out what you want to buy and see what it is about...

Thanks again for your time and kindness,you are a great help.I don't have the words to thank you enough!I will try to be careful with marketing and I think that with the help of God I can do it....

And another thing.As for trying to copy other guitarists with their famous songs and all that I have the answer.I should try and be a harsh criric with myself,put my head down and practice as hard as I can.Maybe along the years I will reach a good level,I certainly hope so...

Have a good day there man!Once more,thanks a lot!