carol m

Is Anyone Using Vista yet?

carol m    64
and "upgrade" myself to an iMac.

You lucky dog!!! Did you get the model recently superseded by an iMac that can go to 8GB RAM, or did you scoop up the latest model? Yes I've been researching and studying ebay - I'm thinking now that it's best to get the newest model from a retail store, even though it would cost a lot more - naturally I have a swag of arguments to support this point of view.

My 'need' for a new and fancy iMac is because my dodgy PC has been back to the supplier 3 times now and I'm pushing for a replacement - difficult to insist on because the supplier is distantly related, is among the family circle, but he doesn't ever visit us socially (his mother is the link), so I can't 'chat' with him and discuss what I would really like, which is a refund. I would like a refund because.....and I only just discovered this, I don't need a PC at all if I set up a new Intel Mac correctly so I can run a Mac using genuine XP. Yes, a genuine Windows XP, not the 'Microsoft for Mac' software!

I'm still using my little ebay MacBook which has been great, but it isn't an Intel chip model, is a bit slow 1.2GHz with a and will only go to 2+GB RAM - which it now has. This allows me to do everything without a problem, but I have a couple of recording peripherals that are 'only for PC'. That would be the main reason, and that an iMac is soooo nice - and glossy, and beautiful, and fast etc etc. If I got a refund for the PC, a new iMac wouldn't be 'expensive' at all! :winkthumb: Unfortunately he chances of getting a refund on the PC is about zero I think.

I've found apps on the Mac side that replace 99% of the old PC apps I used....most of them freeware!

Can you tell us what they are? I've downloaded only 2 I think and I haven't found very many - it's the free ones I would be mainly interested in of course.

Congrats on your negotiating skills, and on you new toy.

:)

carol m    64
Comes in handy when some of messy chords like B and F sound awfull, I just record the part using a different chord and change the pitch to correct it.

I'll post this here for continuity for when Krissovo is on line again:

How do you do that? I can change the pitch of individual notes on a MIDI track (green I think) using the horizontal lines or notation, but I haven't been able to work out how to raise or lower notes on a real instrument track (using the line or notation pitch shifting, not just the slider which tries to smooth out the pitch a bit).

And, I see that Mac is impressed with the slider Pitch control option. I find it makes little difference to the sound - does this mean that I sing in tune?:D

On those rare occasions where I hit a dodgy note :winkthumb: , the pitch slider doesn't do a great deal, except distort the sound on Max and not a big enough correction at anything less than Max.

Stratrat    0
...And, I see that Mac is impressed with the slider Pitch control option. I find it makes little difference to the sound - does this mean that I sing in tune?:D

On those rare occasions where I hit a dodgy note :winkthumb: , the pitch slider doesn't do a great deal, except distort the sound on Max and not a big enough correction at anything less than Max...

Your notes must not be dodgy enough for pitch correction to be bothered with, Carol....wish I could say that! :D

...You lucky dog!!! Did you get the model recently superseded by an iMac that can go to 8GB RAM, or did you scoop up the latest model?...

As luck would have it, I bought the "older" model on a Sunday - and the new iMacs came out the following day, on Monday! I didn't bother with exchanging it - even though more is always better, I don't do anything heavy-duty enough to see the need for 8MB of RAM. Returning it supposedly involves a 10% restocking fee, even though they probably would have waived it if I had made a big enough stink - but it just wasn't worth it to me. I could have gotten a 24" model for the same price as my 20" model, but to tell the truth, I really didn't want the 24-inch monitor...it was just too big for my desk and where I sit in relation to the computer, the 20" is plenty enough. The newer models supposedly don't have as good a video card in them either - and I do play with video editing occasionally, so I guess that's on the plus side for the "older" model.

...My 'need' for a new and fancy iMac is because my dodgy PC has been back to the supplier 3 times now and I'm pushing for a replacement - difficult to insist on because the supplier is distantly related, is among the family circle, but he doesn't ever visit us socially (his mother is the link), so I can't 'chat' with him and discuss what I would really like, which is a refund...

Ooh...not a great situation indeed. I don't like involving family in my purchases just for that reason - nothing good is going to come of it if you're anything less than completely satisfied with it.

...and I only just discovered this, I don't need a PC at all if I set up a new Intel Mac correctly so I can run a Mac using genuine XP. Yes, a genuine Windows XP, not the 'Microsoft for Mac' software!...

Sure can - although I've found no need whatsoever to do so. But if you have certain programs that you absolutely need a PC for, you can always have XP at your beck and call on the Mac. To be honest, my biggest fear as a "switcher" was that I would miss some of my Windows apps and not be able to replace/replicate them on the Mac - but as it turns out, that ended up being a non-issue, which segues nicely into the answer to your next question.... :)

...Can you tell us what they are? I've downloaded only 2 I think and I haven't found very many - it's the free ones I would be mainly interested in of course....

I've only downloaded a few so far myself - between iLife, iWork and Office for Mac, it covers most of what I need for everyday use. But here's the freeware I've downloaded so far to replace the more "specialized" stuff I used on Windows: VLC Player, which plays many more movie formats than Quicktime; Garmin RoadTrip, which catalogues all my GPS tracklogs and waypoints; PasswordSafeSWT, which stores all my logins, passwords, etc. in a safely encrypted file; Stellarium, which is an astronomy program that shows the night sky - constellations, Messier objects, etc.; Seashore, which is a program similar to Photoshop (but less complex); and Firefox (which I like a little better than Safari for some reason that I can't really explain). I would have also downloaded Google Earth, but I've been using the web-based Flash Earth instead and it works just as well for my needs.

...and speaking of Krissovo, where's that boy gotten off to???

carol m    64

I do have a dodgy note here and there - amazingly :winkthumb: ......and the slider doesn't cope well at all! Goes into a swoon and I sound like I'm singing underwater.

The freebies I've found useful are Word Counter (for counting words in a doc), Amazing Slow Downer (haven't tried it yet but looks ok), downloadhelper, Switch, swf flv player, iRecordMusic - I guess that's more than 2. There is always Open Office, but I haven't downloaded it because I have never needed it all.

I think Krissovo may be hibernating and waiting for spring - and I don't blame him at all.

Stratrat    0

Carol - both Word (in Office for Mac) and Pages (in iWork '09) show word counts in the status bar at the bottom of the page. I had to go look, because I've never paid attention to how many words were in a document! (I probably should, maybe it would make me more economical in my writing style!) :yes:

carol m    64

Thanks for that info mac. I don't have either Microsoft for Macs or iWork or Pages - it's a pre-intel chip Mac, but I can get around everything really, it just takes a bit of research on the net to find the free software.

Update on the PC - the cousin says he's used it 'for hours' and cannot reproduce the problem. He's bringing it here tonight and I'll see if it does it again here like it always has before. Fingers crossed that it performs it's usual rubbish - that's the first time I've actually wished that!

I'm going to test it on Rockerbob's 'Rubber Duckies' in HD and see how it likes that!! (sorry Keith, but that youtube vid takes the biggest CPU useage I know of!) :winkthumb:

carol m    64

Update on the dodgy PC:

He he! The dodgy computer arrived with the cousin (+brother as backup)....all seemed ok initially (it sometimes does that for 10mins or so - then I hit it with Rubber Duckie HD and Living in Fear..........@#$%!!! Bingo - managed to gum up the works alright! The computer + it's support team left within 5 mins. Success! Thanks Keith and all my helpers. :yeahhh:

Stratrat    0

Sorry to hear that the computer is still acting up Carol, but it's good that you were able to demonstrate the glitch for them! Hopefully they'll make good on it and get you a PC that works like it should before it's all said and done. Things like that can sure be frustrating!

Edit: After reading your post in this thread and the other one, I had to dig up RB's "Rubber Ducky" and watch the HD version in both normal and full-screen modes - both to check out the song, and to see if it caused my video to choke. Result: Big smile from the video, and no chokeage on the iMac - it played fine. What does it do when you play it on the dodgy PC?

carol m    64

On the PC any video stutters and freezes for 16-17 secs (yes I measured it many times in trying to track down the cause) and this happens every 15 secs at its worst. This means that any other things like scrolling, typing etc stop too. It usually takes a couple of vids to get it going and then nothing will stop it. I was so pleased that I could demonstrate it because he kept saying he had tested it 'for hours' and hadn't found a problem.

The cheapie iBook from ebay with less ram can cope and this PC was supposed to be my super fast fancy new computer last June.

Now of course what I really want is a refund, not a replacement, because now I know I can buy a shiny new iMac and load it with XP (if I want) and I have no real use for a pc anymore - good excuse to upgrade the iBook which is fine but has it's limitations if I load on lots of recording software. We will see what happens next...... ;)

Stratrat    0

Sounds like a bad video card in the PC, Carol - hopefully they've tried swapping that out, as it's definitely the most likely suspect.

Do keep us posted on what you end up doing - I hope you're able to get a refund and pick up your shiny new iMac! :yes: As you said, loaded with Win XP and OS X, it would be the best of both worlds.

I'm still using my Macbook for recording (at least what scant little recording I've had time to do lately!). My home office and music room are separate from each other (although I have a guitar and a couple of amps in the office also), and since I spend far more time on the 'office computer', that's where the iMac lives. The Macbook keeps up with my recording needs just fine, but I'd like to get an external monitor for it. A nice 20" widescreen would be a big improvement over the limited real estate on a 13" laptop screen.

carol m    64

That's interesting Mac - in all this time no-one has suggested that, and I think you could be right - video cards are something I normally have no interest in, and therefore know nothing about them. Actually I hope it's not that because this computer is already nearly a year old, and I don't have any faith in it either. My wish list is

1. Refund

2. Replacement with a newer PC

3. Old PC back but in working order.

My iBook is only 12" screen and smaller keyboard which you can get used to, but I just plug in my microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard, and with a short connector (ebay again $10) I use my 19" screen - perfect.

Now I know you can load any Microsoft platform onto an Intel Mac (not just the Office for Macs) I don't understand why anyone would buy a PC at all. You can have them both in the same machine! And it doesn't even have a tower to take up floor or desk space. You can't use a Mac platform on a PC - which makes all PCs redundant doesn't it?????

Which makes me wonder why Apple doesn't push this idea - maybe Microsoft is giving them huge sweeteners to keep this info from being widely propagated? Maybe Microsoft is even working on a platform that can be loaded onto Macs???

Stratrat    0
...My iBook is only 12" screen and smaller keyboard which you can get used to, but I just plug in my microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard, and with a short connector (ebay again $10) I use my 19" screen - perfect.

Perfect indeed! Once I get some free time back and am able to spend more time recording, I'm sure I'll do the same thing. Using the laptop keyboard/monitor is okay for short periods, but if I were spending much time in front of it I'd want a larger display and better keyboard....just because I can! :yes:

...Which makes me wonder why Apple doesn't push this idea - maybe Microsoft is giving them huge sweeteners to keep this info from being widely propagated? Maybe Microsoft is even working on a platform that can be loaded onto Macs???

I can't see the possibility of Microsoft doing anything that could potentially cut into Windows' "world dominance" - especially given the current fiasco with Vista. That said, it can be done - although it's not easy and the results aren't always great. Google "Hackintosh" if you're curious.

carol m    64

I actually put that the wrong way round - you can run both systems on a Mac, but you can't run Mac OSX on a PC. Which makes PC's redundant. But if Microsoft developed a PC that you could load MacOSX on, PCs wouldn't be redundant and the playing field would be more level.

Windows are currently losing ground against Macs mainly because of Vista, but if Macs pushed the 'no need to buy a PC' angle they could really increase their world position. There must be a reason why they don't.