carol m

Is Anyone Using Vista yet?

Sorry to hear that GeetarGal. It is possible to load XP back onto a machine already installed with Vista - is that what you were thinking about? I have no idea how tricky that would be, but I'm sure there are people who could give you advice either locally near you, or online here at GFB.

I can imagine how awful that would be - you pay big bucks for a shiny new machine and then its worse than the old one! Has anyone tried to sue Microsoft yet?

I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week.I've been error free for nearly a week. etc :laughingg:

Is this a personal success story 6string, or are you just feeling GuitarGirl's pain? I notice your signature has a sob story all of its own.......I send good moojo to all those in need - OK that was a typo but I think it shows the strength of my feelings on the matter :grouphug:

I've had conflicting advice about changing to XP...some say it is easy, some say it isn't.

Are you talking about the process of switching everything over to XP or actually using XP?

I'd say switch over to XP if Vista isn't working for you. You'd probably be in the majority of Vista users if you did switch. LOL I think I can count the number of people who I've heard actually like Vista on one hand, and I don't think I can count the number of people who either hate Vista but are unfortunately stuck with it or hate Vista and have already switched back to XP. ;)

I can get Vista home for free from my school (it's free for all computer science majors) and needless to say, I'm staying FAR FAR away from Vista!!

-tkr

Is this a personal success story 6string, or are you just feeling GuitarGirl's pain? I notice your signature has a sob story all of its own.......I send good moojo to all those in need - OK that was a typo but I think it shows the strength of my feelings on the matter :grouphug:

Its from a Mac commercial.

Your Mojo worked my fingers better :yeahhh: , Thanks Carol.

Your Mojo worked my fingers better, Thanks Carol.

Half of me wants to go "Yeah, right on brother :yeahhh: ......but the other half says "Aw shucks :blush:

BTW, keep posting - I like your style :laughingg:

The Gearbox software that came with my TonePort doesn't work with it, or any other recording softwear that I own. With Audacity, I can't get a click track to come up...reverb and some other effects don't show up.

I had to remove Audacity, as it kept bluescreening my computer. Gearbox is now working fine, have you downloaded the newest drivers for Vista through the Line6 monkey thingy?

I hate Vista, and yes it's slow, but I'm sooo stuck with it! Grrr.

Ian

...Vista will be the deal breaker on my next PC, I won't have it.

It was already a deal-breaker for me. I'll never have a Vista computer in my house. If M$ doesn't make their next OS better, less bloated, less intrusive and more compatible (fat chance of any of the above, let alone all!), I'll be switching over to Macs 100%. I can tolerate XP - actually I think they did a pretty decent job on it - but I've only played with Vista just enough to know that I don't want to "get to know it" any better.

If M$ doesn't make their next OS better, less bloated, less intrusive and more compatible (fat chance of any of the above, let alone all!), I'll be switching over to Macs 100%.

Ditto! I'm certainly not going to "upgrade" (and I use the term loosely) to Vista or any other Windows system if MS doesn't get its act together.

I'd keep XP around for recording though (keeping it off line) and use the Mac for everything else. Some of my recording software are PC only (Samplitude and Nebula) and there is NO WAY I'm giving them up!

-tkr

...I'd keep XP around for recording though (keeping it off line) and use the Mac for everything else. Some of my recording software are PC only (Samplitude and Nebula) and there is NO WAY I'm giving them up!

Fortunately I'm not heavily invested, monetarily or tech-wise, in any particular recording software right now. Garage Band is miles more capable than Audacity (which has been my main recording program up until now), and I could always upgrade to Logic on the Mac side if I got to the point of needing to upgrade. All of my current hardware will work on either platform, so no determining/limiting factor there either.

I'll keep my XP computers (desktop and my old laptop) for now - but when it comes time to replace them or upgrade, I'll definitely be weighing the options.

BTW - as I've messed around with Garage Band, I've discovered that it offers pitch correction - very handy for vocal tracks if you don't get them just right!

BTW - as I've messed around with Garage Band, I've discovered that it offers pitch correction - very handy for vocal tracks if you don't get them just right!

GB seems better and better, not that I would ever need pitch correction of course :lol:

My Mac still hasn't arrived, maybe playing hard to get - even tho there's no need - after listening to you guys I'm prepared to love it no matter what.

GB seems better and better, not that I would ever need pitch correction of course :lol: ....

LOL....yeah, me neither! :winkthumb:

I tried it out after doing a rough recording of a vocal track - it really smoothed it out nicely. Call it "cheating" if you will, but it can definitely make your recording sound more professional.

Call it "cheating" if you will, but it can definitely make your recording sound more professional.

shhh! Don't tell anyone Stratrat (even though neither of us would ever use it, of course):winkthumb:

Microsoft deigned me the favour of their Service Pack 1, which we've all been waiting for, today. Guess what? Still poo!

Ian

Bad luck Ian, maybe you need a change in the system you are using????

Cue violins, please James.........:crying2:

The courier has lost my Macbook! Now I have to try and get my money back..........:crying2:

Comes in handy when some of messy chords like B and F sound awfull, I just record the part using a different chord and change the pitch to correct it.

A few well known bands record exclusivly on GB, if you google Nine inch nails they give away free tracks on garage band. Very usefull to see the effects and settings they use to master the track.

I have just got vista. (extracting .zip files takes too long???? perhaps look at your machine cos mine is fast at EVERYTHING) basically, unless im too late, dont get it.

XP is not as pretty. But its about 10 times easier to use.

Stupid Vista volume mixer!!!!!! Stupid folder system.... stupid defrag system....

its a good thing i found an asio driver for this after hours and its also a good thing i NEEDED a new laptop and cant afford to buy XP!!!

Avoid.

Hi Collin, bad luck about the Vista. I didn't get Vista and stuck with XP on my new PC. The XP was fine, but the PC was rubbish! It's taken months of fiddling, wiping, re-installing etc etc and finally my supplier is talking about replacing it. I'll still stick with XP though, there was no problem with the XP software as far as I know, just a kink in the PC itself.

Goodluck with the laptop.

As a preface I a have been involved in using, developing and implementing software solutions professionally for over fifteen years. I am considered to be a 'power user' of microsoft based systems by clients and coworkers. I dont think VISTA is the final word in OS's but it has received a lot of bad rep from people that have their own barrows to push.

Vista is fine - its more stable then XP and crash recovery is more graceful - maybe because the drivers are better written.

Most people are put off by the constant warnings about programs launching etc this is controlled using the ACL which can be turned off. Yes interface is different to XP (as XP was to Millenium etc). Funny thing is that people want a new OS then complain when the interface is different. A major aim of OS development is to improve the usability - expect MAJOR changes with Windows 7.

NO program that I have used in the last 2 years has issues with vista. (I have vista 32 ultimate on my laptop and home on a desktop) I have been vista for over 2 years - all in all an improvement on XP, Especially after a trip to the control panel to switch off the ACL.

Speed is fine - Vista works best with lots of memory (it makes better use of it then XP) but I would not run Vista with less then 2GB memory. I have not tried Vista 64 bit enviroments.

That's pretty high-powered stuff, Bugly! I don't have anywhere near that kind of experience/credentials with Vista - all I can say is that from what little I've used it, it looks cartoonish to me and feels slower than XP (I don't know if it actually is or not). A lot of people like a "dumbed-down" OS with cutesy icons that does everything for you without asking, and I know that's simpler for neophyte users - personally, I don't like things being that automated. From what you're saying, it sounds like the ACL can turn all that stuff off, and if I'd ever played with a Vista computer set up that way, maybe I'd like it better. I still don't like the increasingly intrusive aspect of M$, either - the system creates a "hash" of what hardware it's running on, then objects if you swap out certain things (motherboard, etc.) because it thinks it's sensing piracy. I've built/upgraded my last couple of PC's myself, and would be hugely frustrated if I had to deal with Windows objecting and balking every time it sensed a new mobo, video card, etc. (I know XP does this also).

I haven't used it enough to speak first-hand about issues with drivers and hardware - but I've heard and read plenty of accounts of utter frustration with "Plug and Pray" not working with legacy hardware....especially in the 64-bit environment.

...A major aim of OS development is to improve the usability - expect MAJOR changes with Windows 7...

A friend of mine is currently running a beta version of Win7 and reports that it seems to be a huge improvement over Vista....he says that although it looks like Vista on the front end, it's faster and doesn't seem as bloated. He hasn't had a lot of time to fool around under the hood yet, but his initial impressions are very favorable.

Just resurrecting this thread from the dead for an update. My wife's old PC was on its last legs (450 mHz Pentium processor, 128 MB RAM, 8 GB HD, running Win 2000), and she wanted a new one. I still maintain a personal boycott against Windows Vista, especially after reading about a lot of people downgrading (or is it actually upgrading?) from Vista to XP, so buying her a new PC with Vista on it was an absolute no-go. Instead, I offered to give her my (Win XP) PC and "upgrade" myself to an iMac. She was agreeable to that and I'm always one to strike while the iron is hot, so it was quickly a done deal. I'm now 100% Mac (laptop and desktop, not to mention iPhone also), while she's 100% XP PC (laptop and desktop). I can live with that - no Vista! :claping: The adaptation curve is pretty minimal, and I've found apps on the Mac side that replace 99% of the old PC apps I used....most of them freeware!

As a side bonus, I decided to use her old "dinosaur" PC to play around with Linux. Win 2K ran like molasses in wintertime on that thing - literally click on something, then walk away and fix a snack while waiting for it to open! I dug around on the 'net a bit and discovered Puppy Linux, and installed it on the old box last night. The entire OS is only 94 MB in size (including word processing, spreadsheet, media player, etc. apps), and it turned that old, swampy slug of a PC into a rocketship! I was able to get it to connect to my home wireless network (and printer) with minimal effort using an old USB wireless adapter I had lying around, so it went from a useless box destined for the trash heap to a very capable "extra" computer....now I just have to figure out where in the house I'm going to put it! Maybe in the guest bedroom for visitors to use, as the UI is very fast and simple for web browsing, checking e-mail, word processing, etc. I also like the fact that I was able to eliminate yet another Windows computer from the household in the process. I've used Windows since its inception, but I'm now finding more palatable, less bloated/intrusive alternatives...and loving it!