carol m

Is Anyone Using Vista yet?

krissovo    0

My problem with a Mac is that no-one else in the house has ever used one, and around here I am the newby computer person who needs the others to help me out with any glitches I fall into. That's

Learning to use a Mac from a PC is easier than a Mac user learning PC's and windoze. Apple have great support forums and video's on how to do just about anything. The "Help" function is about the best there is out on the market and I promice you that the "glicthes" will be few and far between as there is nothing really tweek.

If you mess something up, no problem use Time machine to turn back the clock to before you did it!

Have a look at these tutorials, see how it all works together.

Apple - iLife - Tutorials

Stratrat    0

I agree with what Kriss said - so far it seems to me that "glitches" are fewer and further between on Macs.

The learning curve really isn't very steep - the interface is pretty similar in appearance and function (albeit much simpler and more intuitive on Macs). The only differences I've noticed are little things like learning the "shortcuts" for cutting, copying, pasting, etc. (and they're even similar - where it's Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V, etc. in Windows, it's the "Apple" key + C, V, etc. on a Mac). Launching programs is very similar, as is closing them - same three little buttons for minimize, maximize and close, except they're round, in color, and on the top left instead of the top right.

The bottom line is that if you're comfortable with Windows and don't want to be bothered with changing over, don't do it - lots of people are quite happy using Win machines and there's nothing wrong with that. Part of the fun for me is that I enjoy new challenges - I configured my previous PC (which I built from scratch) as a dual-boot system between Win98 and Red Hat Linux - just because I was curious about Linux and wanted to try it (Linux - now THERE'S a tricky OS to play with!!!)

As far as the Firewire - yes, I'd definitely have that put in your computer if you go that route. It's much faster than USB and very useful if you start playing with digital video cameras, recording interfaces, etc. (As a side note - all Macs come with Firewire ports....in fact, I believe that Apple was the innovator in IEEE 1394/Firewire.) I discovered something interesting as I researched the PreSonus Firebox - Apple/Mac laptops have a 6-pin Firewire port, which will fully power the Firebox without needing an AC adapter/wall wart. PC laptops have a 4-pin Firewire port, which will not provide power - you have to use the AC adapter, and you also have to buy a 6-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable or adapter.

If I come off as sounding like a "fanboy", I apologize. As I said, I'm still in the "honeymoon" stage with the Mac and very excited as I discover all the neat little things I never knew about. I still have my feet firmly in both camps, and will stay that way until it comes time to replace my home/desktop computer. Whenever that time comes, I'll decide if I'm going to stay with Windows or make a wholesale switch over to the Mac platform. If I had to decide today, I most certainly would NOT choose any system running Windows Vista - but who knows what's in the future??? If Microsoft gets their act together on a future version of Windows, maybe it would change my mind (*maybe*). At the present time, it just seems to me that Windows is getting more and more bloated, more intrusive, and more bug-ridden....not my cup of tea.

Lcjones    8

Vista....

I bought the Mrs. a Dell laptop last fall with Vista Home Premium. The Dell has guts and to spare. Plenty of power. It's scrap with Vista on it. Why M$ went down this road, I'll never understand. Vista is the dead weight of a sinking boat.

One of the biggest problems is third party vendors creating updated drivers for older hardware to run on Vista. Not to mention the outright retarded slowness of Vista in general.

I also utilize a Mac G4 running Lepard, Debian Etch, XP Pro AND Vista Ultimate on my desk at work. All four on separate machines. The Vista Ultimate box is relegated to an Internet Radio boom box.

And meanwhile, back at the ranch, I just bought another Dell Desktop. Ordered it specifically with XP Pro. XP Pro works. You can't break it. You can count on it.....for a Winbloz Operating System.

737blues    0
.... Meanwhile, while I was reading my quote on email, my computer died - no blue screen, nothing - blip and it was gone. And no lights when I tried to restart it.....dead? After 5mins I tried again and it worked....scarey! Perhaps my computer has a soul and didn't like what I was reading :yes:

Sounds more like a Mac Bomb than a PC .... :isaynothing: Mac's don't give you the fabled blue screen, they just freeze. No amount of screaming, kicking, seven-finger keyboard combinations or jumping up and down on top of it will affect it. Whatever your screen showed when it froze, that's what it will show until you walk across to the wall and pull it's plug out. Then it will reboot and give you a lecture about not shutting it down properly. And yes, they do get Virus' too, just that not many people can be bothered writing them for Mac because there are infinitely more PC users out there. Don't believe the sales hype about sharing files effortlessly with WIN users either, you will have to learn some tricks to do that.

Having said all of that, they do have some very, very nice points too. Actually been thinking about buying another one myself ..... :guitardude::unsure::weirdeyes:

carol m    64

Well, another weekend/day spent (wasted? - OK its late and I'm tired) checking out computer options. My research tells me (independent of you guys) that Vista is a lemon, and possibly always will be. No-one wants it, and already outlets are offering the means of back installing XP on machines factory loaded with Vista. I found CNet had some good reviews and comparisons. Some people are thinking that Vista will be promoted while they make plans to bi-pass it altogether like they did for ME although that will take a couple of years. They even brought out a new XP upgrade this month while still spruiking Vista.

CNet rates Home as a complete dud, the next grade up as almost as bad, and only Ultimate is any good, but very expensive and still slow and full of glitches and problems.

I checked out the tutorials for MAC and it looks nice, glossy and easy but I don't really need fancy layouts or photo stuff, or making videos etc and do need the Word type word processing most of all. The obvious solution is to buy a shiny new PC .......and a MAC for music and recording!!!! Do you like my problem solving skills???? :yeahhh:

Unfortunately I'm only dreaming, but its quite a plan don't you think? :nono::sleep1:

Stratrat    0
...but I don't really need fancy layouts or photo stuff, or making videos etc and do need the Word type word processing most of all...

I bought the student/home edition of Microsoft Office 08 for Mac for $150 when I bought my MacBook. All the apps work almost exactly the same as the Windows version and the documents can be saved in "native" Office formats (.doc, .xls, etc.) and are usable on either Win or Mac computers.

There's also a rudimentary word processing app bundled in the Mac OS (similar to "Wordpad" in Windows) that will save in .doc format.

carol m    64

My latest update: I made an error in an earlier post, so in case anyone gets mislead, I will correct it here:

Vista has both 32bit and the newer 64bit systems. Some music software applications require 32bit and are not compatible with 64bit (I said earlier the other way around). XP is 32bit and not 64bit.

I'm getting a firewire port at no extra cost (glad I thought of it) and will stick with the PC system for now. However........I've been checking out the Macs and they do look attractive!!!!

Macs are much more expensive, and if I got one it would be a back up system and used mainly for music, so I have been looking on Ebay, but I'm having trouble working out which of the older macs have Garage Band bundled (or separate) in their software. I see you can buy GB separately for about $150 but its not clear to me which models that would be compatible with.

I see there are G4's mainly (of various sub-types), and some G5's but they don't say if GB is part of their software. There was a power mac which I think would probably have it, but the price compared with a new one was too close to consider buying a Used one.

Does anyone know which models would have GB installed/or compatible with a separately bought GB package?

krissovo    0

You may have to look for ilife as that includes GB, Iphoto etc

All new Macs come with GB & ilife so I would imagine most of the 2nd hand Mac's would have ilife installed.

G5's should be a good bang for the buck as most people would want the intel processors and these are being over looked.

carol m    64

The latest update! I'm still getting my new PC but.......I've been checking out ebay for second hand Macs! I think I'm committed! Already have a couple lined up and watching.........they are small, G4 and used, but have iLife 06 with Garage Band installed and going for about $450. I don't worry about the battery so much as I'll only use it with a power source, so.........

You have much to answer for, you guys!!!!!!!........thanks :thumbup:

Stratrat    0

Now it looks like you have CAS (Computer Acquisition Syndrome) to go with your GAS! :yes:

I've gotta pass on a little anecdote about my first experience with Apple's customer service...after a couple days of use, the spacebar on my Macbook was sticking and the power button would stick at strange angles if you didn't push it exactly straight down. I bought it at Best Buy, but they're not an authorized Apple service center, so I took it to the nearest Apple store (about 40 miles from home). The tech examined it and said "We could repair it, but I'd like to just give you a new laptop instead, to make sure you don't have any more problems". He asked if I had brought the original box, packing materials, etc., and I said that I hadn't because I was only expecting to get it repaired, not replaced. I explained that I lived some distance away and that it would be a lot more than a 'short run home' to retrieve all that stuff. He called a manager over and explained the situation to her, and I walked out a few minutes later with a brand-new MacBook - no hassles, no attitude, no problems. The new one works perfectly and I'm extremely pleased with their willingness to take good care of their customers. They genuinely gave the impression that they cared and stood behind their products. While I was sitting there, I watched several of the techs around me dealing with people having iPod issues which were obviously "user malfunctions" rather than product issues. Each of the techs was friendly and helpful, and took the time to explain the issue in a non-condescending manner (even though they've probably had to do the same thing about a million times!).

dejankuki    0

I read somewhere that

1. Vista is officialy marked as failure in Redmond

2. Many programmers refuse to write new programs and drivers FOR Vista

but in the meantime disciples of Billy Gates allready working on new Windows codename W2K8 for now....

Actualu... Vista SP1 have kernel from W2K8 and they "conduct experiments in vivo" just without knowledge of users!!!

He, he, they hven't money for BETA testers... hahaha!!!!

Poor them....!!! buhuhuhu

carol m    64

He He He!!!! I just bought an Apple Mac on Ebay :stuart::yeahhh:

Its only a G4 and 1.2GHz and 60G hard disk, but it has Garage Band installed...........another toy!!! And still my 'proper' highspeed CPU to come (my techy guy was away for the weekend, but hopefully during the week)....

The ebay price was OK - others with only 30G HDD have been going for about 450 - 600, and mine with 60G and good condition was $540 so it was reasonable (but not good). However, actually winning a bid has value because now I'm not price watching all day.

Thankyou everyone for helping me take the plunge - this means that I am now the most experienced ebayer and the most adventurous computer geek in the house - Hah! Eat my dust!! :clap:

I am using Vista Home now but prefer XP. I am not terribly OS savvy but I can tell you about my own experience. I have experinced both good and bad with Vista. Good: it seems less susceptible to adware and other intrusions and the interface reminds me a bit of Mac; Bad: backwards compatibility is a serious nuisance and the interface reminds me a bit of Mac (hehehe). Ultimately I have had only minor problems.

Stratrat    0

Congrats, Carol - sounds like you'll have the best of both worlds! :winkthumb: That should be a nice, relatively inexpensive way to dabble on the Mac side of things to see how you like it.

carol m    64

Update: yesterday we installed my new PC :wow: Today I have been tagging and sorting all the wires etc and getting the place organised. I got a new printer too. Everything installed seamlessly. I still have to download and set up all the Audacity, Reaper Tascam etc stuff but that shouldn't be a problem.

Meanwhile, I haven't got the Mac yet, the couriers never seem to be as fast as they promise. I haven't played the guitar for days, but now I feel as if I've had a complete refit!!! Yes, me personally! :yeahhh:

Thanks for all your help everyone (I love a happy ending!)

Stratrat    0

Sounds like it's all going smoothly, Carol! Did you get Vista or XP on your PC?

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Mac when you finally receive it. Please do post your thoughts after you've had a chance to play with it!

carol m    64
Did you get Vista or XP on your PC?

I got XP Professional of course! Plus Office 2007. I'm a bit bewildered by all the new options they offer (and other basic stuff that is sometimes hard to locate). I was on Windows 2000 and word 2000 before, and the newer systems have a lot more 'stuff'.

The best thing so far is......I can get Youtube. I lost access to Youtube a couple of months ago, and nothing (including emailing Youtube several times) could get it back. It was after my AVG Free caught a Trojan on my system, and ever since then everything was a bit erratic - maybe only the old age of computer, but that's when things started to go wrong more often.

I should get the Mac on Monday and by then I hope to have got my PC under control. The PC has 1Terabyte of HD and 2G of Ram. That should do me for a while! :yes:

Stratrat    0
... for a while ....

LOL! My first PC was an 8086 running MS-DOS 3.3 at a blazing 8 MHz (in "turbo" mode), with 1 MB of RAM and a 10 MB hard drive. Once I figured out what 10 MB was, I wondered "How could I *ever* fill up a hard drive that big?!?"

....it lasted me "for a while". :yes:

carol m    64

Exactly! All my friends say "Why do you need so much hard drive??" I just laugh.......none of them has ever tried to record anything - I filled up the last remaining 12gigs of hard drive on the old one with my first ever multitracker recording! Now I have to go back and delete all the takes I didn't use in the end......sometime!!

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the MAC, but at least my new PC is beginning to learn who is boss around here....mostly, but not always :hammers:

carol m    64

Hi Chris, if you're going to get additional HD you would be wise to get 1 terabyte plus because the difference in price is not double the price of 500, and if you don't use it all its good to have spare capacity.....and having a big fat HD makes you feel sleek and sporty as an added bonus!! :yeahhh:

Stratrat    0
I'm thinking about getting an external HD just for recording- probably at least 500GB.

I've been thinking about the exact same thing....been looking at Firewire external HD's lately, sizing them up. It would be nice to have the extra space!

I have Vista on a new machine.

I can't say enough bad about it.

The Gearbox software that came with my TonePort doesn't work with it, or any other recording softwear that I own. With Audacity, I can't get a click track to come up...reverb and some other effects don't show up. I have 3 gigs of memory, but it is slower than my other computer which had 512 megs of memory.

I've had conflicting advice about changing to XP...some say it is easy, some say it isn't.

At this time, Dell is selling computers that are loaded with XP (lower price than one with vista) because so many people hate the Vista OS...so I don't think XP is going away anytime soon.

Vista will be the deal breaker on my next PC, I won't have it.