carol m

Is Anyone Using Vista yet?

carol m    64

I am thinking of buying a new PC soon and am wondering if anyone has been using Vista with the software programs Reaper and Audacity? It's still possible to get XP but maybe it's OK now to think about Vista. The other thing is, is Vista Home good enough or is it better to get Vista Professional? If anyone has experience about these topics it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Andy S    9

Carol,

Geez! I know three people that have recently bought PC with Vista, going from either XP or 2000. NONE of them had anything good to say about Vista. :mad:

In fact, all three are trying to get XP loaded on the new machines.

Also, we use XP at our church and use a software program for our stage lighting. There was a new update we were looking at and it specifically said in the notes that Vista was not compatible with the software.

If it were me, I'd wait even longer before going to Vista. I would seriously consider a Mac before Vista. No slam on Macs, since so much software is now compatible with it. Might be worth looking into. :dunno:

Nutty    1

Hi Carol,

Hi have Vista 32 bit (Home Basic) and I have had both Reaper and Audacity installed. I don't use them regularly, but I have used them without any problems.

I did have issues with some of my other equipment though, but not necessarily because of Vista. I have the PreSonus Firebox (audio interface) and I had to download new drivers from PreSonus. I also had to get a Texus Istrument Chip set firewire card. (This was not a Vista issue).

You might want to check with your hardware companies as some are not ready for Vista, especially Vista 64 bit. I've also heard that many effects are not Vista 64 bit compatible yet. Vista 32 is generally okay.

Hope this helps.

Nutty

allthumbs    8

There are countless sites about how to get vista off your computer. That should tell you something. Anna sent hers back after a week and went to xp. I personaly would not touch it. Delivered 3 years late with only 50% of the promised features. What does that tell you, LOL

Rockerbob    47

Vista will become the new XP. I takes some time for bugs and compatibility issue to be worked out, but many already have been. As others have said, just check with the software and hardware companies regarding vista compatibility.

That being said, I use the latest Mac OS X (10.5.2). I had to wait about 3 months for a new release of the Waves plugins. No biggie. I dual booted until the new revision came out.

Also, in my small networking lab I have Linux, XP and Win2K server running, but no vista - only because I don't have it and won't pay for it. When I get it for free I will install it. I will probably get it through an employer, if I ever get employed again.

gasbag    54

My son is a beta tester for MS and he tested Vista. He won't even use it. Too buggy. He uses XP Pro on his own computer. I use XP home version. So far no problems.

starsailor    20

Vistas a bit pants at the moment but like Rockerbob said it will get better once all the bugs are ironed out, I remember XP had a few issues when it came out so it will get better, microsoft seemed a bit hasty bringing it out in my opinion, I think the biggest complaint has been about compatible drivers, I think I'll wait until it's as trouble free as XP, kind of want a stress free life:guitarguy:

Clancy    36

Hi Carol,

I got a new laptop a few weeks ago and it has Vista Ultimate on it. I've had to upgrade a couple of of programs, but apart from that I've had no problems. The only thing I found that I don't like is that some .zip files take a long time to extract with Vista.

I didn't want to get Vista because of all the horror stories I kept hearing about it... but they're not going back to XP and we'll all have to move onto it some time... I don't think you'll have many problems. I haven't tried Audacity or Reaper however.

Clancy

Stratrat    0
...I would seriously consider a Mac before Vista...

Exactly what I'm planning on. I'm sure Apple's OS isn't perfect either, but I'm not at all impressed with Vista from my brief experiences with it so far. My next computer is going to be a Mac laptop. I'll keep my XP desktop until it isn't feasible anymore, and what I do then depends on whether or not Micro$oft gets their act straight.... either try another MS OS, or switch over to Mac all the way.

Micro$oft's OS' are becoming increasingly intrusive, mostly due to their efforts to fight piracy, and they also continue to "dumb down"/automate the OS to make things easier for people who don't know anything about computers. I don't like my software doing things I don't tell it to do, or trying to anticipate what I'm going to do next, causing me to push a bunch of "no" buttons to stop it. I don't like cars that do it either.....the first thing I do when I buy a new car is disable the automatic door locks and all that garbage. If I want my doors locked, I'll lock them....if I want the radio turned up or down, I'll turn it up or down. I don't want machines making my decisions for me.

krissovo    0

The best advice IMO is MAC, since I have had mine my recording experiences are a pleasure. As the ad says "it just works", I used to not record because it used to take me an age to get setup with my midi keyboard, mics and firewire mixer. Now I just plug in and its all available to me with out tweeking the hell out my machine.

The software is a joy as well, garage band could not be simpler but the results are awsome. I only have the Basic Mac book but I am so much more productive not just with my music but day to day work as well.

Of course you can now run windows on a Mac but I soon got rid of windows as what is the point with a slick functional operating system and software that works.

Good luck!

Tekker    1

I've read that MS has the next thing (Windows 7) coming out in 2009 and they will probably keep XP around until Windows 7. So you might want to hold off on getting Vista as it doesn't appear it's sticking around much longer.

If they don't do a better job with Windows 7, then once they stop supporting XP I may get a Mac for typical computer/Internet use, but also keep XP around for my recording applications.

-tkr

I've used Vista for six months, and the one thing that strikes me about it is how slow it is compared to xp! I had some serious problems using Reaper a few months ago, which disappeared suddenly, and now opening Audacity bluescreens the computer. I've had numerous problems with other programs too. I would change to xp, but my computer is a Korean desknote, and it would be too risky to try to do it myself, so I'm stuck with it!

No-one on the Reaper forums has anything good to say about Vista, in fact I can't think of anyone who has.

Ian

Nutty    1
I've used Vista for six months, and the one thing that strikes me about it is how slow it is compared to xp!

Ian

That is so true. I had 1 meg of RAM on my other computer running XP. I now have 3 meg's of RAM running Vista and it is slower than my old computer!

Nutty

carol m    64

Thanks everyone for your info. I'll definitely not get Vista! I read the Cnet reviews on it and it sounds as if what Stratrat said is true - they are clamping down on access to certain sites that share/swap 'stuff'. I don't know which sites they are, but even though I don't download from P2P 'illegal' sites, I don't want big brother taking over my choices and the program deciding for me what I want to do next.

Also, as far as I know, Vista is a 32bit system (don't know what that means) but I know that certain music software will only run on 62bit systems (like XP). I'm on 2000, which is also 32bit so I'm thinking that going XP will be the best to go for. Of course I don't know how long XP will function for, but if it becomes un-usable after a couple of years I would upgrade to whatever is best at the time.

Maybe a Mac would be good but I have no experience of it, and no-one in the family has ever used it so I'm a bit reluctant to go in that direction (I rely on the younger generation around here to get me out of most of the tekky holes I fall into). :)

Stratrat    0
...Maybe a Mac would be good but I have no experience of it, and no-one in the family has ever used it so I'm a bit reluctant to go in that direction (I rely on the younger generation around here to get me out of most of the tekky holes I fall into). :)

Carol - I have exactly zero experience with Macs also, but I'm writing this post from a brand-new MacBook! :yes: I decided to take the plunge, so now I'm on a brand-new techy learning curve with this thing. So far, so good - I have to say I'm impressed with a lot of the neat little features and the software that it comes with. It connected effortlessly to my wireless home network (much easier than deciphering all the usual Windows mumbo-jumbo), and I was up and running with it in no time.

Next thing will be to buy a Firewire A/D interface and start playing with Garage Band! (and that's a whole 'nother learning curve!)

carol m    64

Hi Stratrat, I was researching MS platforms and CPU's this afternoon and up popped your post....What are the neat features and software that comes with Mac? And is Garage Band included?

I've decided to get a new CPU altogether with XP Pro 64bit desktop and then hold off on Vista. I found that some are speculating MS will bring out a new platform altogether as Vista is so unpopular in which case, an XP program would still be usable for a long while yet (as Tekker suggested).

I also found a review (CNet I think) where they concluded that AMD is vastly superior to Intel on every criteria they tested. HP do an AMD dual core with XP pro 64 already loaded for a reasonable price, so if cousin Balash can't find a better/cheaper machine (mate's rates, hopefully!) I can buy a regulation HP at the computer store.

Is there a nic for GAS for computers??? I am awaiting my new Samsung SCX 4200 mutli purpose printer to arrive :wow:

Yes, sadly it has come to this....I can drool at the prospect of a shiny new machine!!! (and I blame Tekker!:P:yeahhh: )

Stratrat    0

Carol - Yes, Garage Band is included in the OS software. The iLife suite has Garage Band, iTunes, iPhoto (a photo sorter/editor/publisher), iMovie (a very good video editing program), iChat (a video chat program that works over several chat networks and interfaces with the webcam that comes included on the computer), etc. The tiny little webcam offers much better video quality than most of the aftermarket ones I've owned and is surprisingly good, as is the onboard mic. It has a "word pad" type program that saves files in native Word format, and a bunch of neat "widgets" that you can configure to pop up on your desktop at a keystroke (weather report, calendar, clock, "sticky notes", and a ton more). I've only begun to explore a lot of the features of the OS, but I'm more and more impressed as I go along.

My first true "Wow!" moment came just a few minutes ago. I have a multi-function printer that I share over my home wireless network, and installing it on my Win computers was a major hassle - installing software on each one, configuring arcane parameters, doing it over and over again because they still wouldn't recognize it, etc. I opened a document on the MacBook, hit "Print" and chose "Select Printer" - it found my printer effortlessly, went online and downloaded the software it needed, installed it and printed perfectly the first time!

carol m    64

Hmmm.....I haven't bought the CPU yet! Maybe I should check out a Mac. Do you have a laptop or a desktop? I will definitely want a desktop. Have you tried Audacity or Reaper on your Mac, Mac? :) Or does it have its own recording setup in Garage Band?

Stratrat    0

Mine is a laptop. I figured I'd try a laptop first so I wasn't making a full commitment on my desktop (just in case!), since my desktop is my main computer.

No, I haven't tried Audacity or Reaper on the Mac yet - I know Audacity makes a Mac version, but from my (admittedly limited) initial peeks at Garage Band, it appears to be much more capable than Audacity.

Garage Band has its own recording setup - you can either connect an A/D interface via USB or Firewire, or record directly from the mic on the computer. I'm probably going to buy something like the PreSonus Firebox so I can connect instruments, mics, etc.

krissovo    0

No, I haven't tried Audacity or Reaper on the Mac yet - I know Audacity makes a Mac version, but from my (admittedly limited) initial peeks at Garage Band, it appears to be much more capable than Audacity.

Well done for switching, once you start playing with garage band you will have a great craic and it will constantly amaze you how powerful this software is. One piece of advice is to make sure you install the rest of the loops, in standard mode you only get a few so put disc two of your back up discs and it should give you the option of installing the rest of the loops.

Best of luck and if you want some advice just PM me and I will help as much as I can. As for interfaces I plug my guitar straight into the line in and that works a treat, the built in amps sound good. I also use my alesis firewire mixer and my pod x3. You dont a very expensive interface the one you are thinking of is regarded as the best.

Good luck!

Stratrat    0

Thanks, Kriss - I didn't realize there were more loops on the backup disc!

I have the same mixer you do (actually it's the USB version), but it's hooked up to my desktop, buried in cables and plugged in deep behind my desk - I really don't want to deal with disconnecting and reconnecting everything back and forth across the two computers all the time, so I wanted something small and portable to go with the laptop.

I just brought the PreSonus Firebox home a little while ago - I'm off to plug it in to the Mac and open GB up to mess around with it a bit! I'll shoot you a PM if I run into any problems or have questions (which I'm sure I will at some point!) :yes:

Stratrat    0

Well, I ran into a little snag last night - unboxed the PreSonus and went to plug it in, only to find out that the FireWire cable was missing (as was the MIDI breakout cable and one software disc!). :sneaky2: That ended that for the evening, so I just played around with GarageBand for a while. What an easy program to learn (at least the basics, anyways!). I installed all the instruments and loops, and you could easily make an entire song without ever once actually touching a real live instrument....TONS of stuff in there (thanks for the tip, Kriss!) :winkthumb:

Back to GC this morning, swapped out the PreSonus for another one that had all the stuff in the box. All I can say is that coming from the Windows world, installing stuff on a Mac is a dream!!! The manual gives both Win and Mac instructions - on the Win side it's a page long, with dire warnings NOT to plug the unit in until the drivers are installed and you've re-booted, etc. On the Mac side, it pretty much says "Attach the firewire cable to the unit and plug it in". Period. And that's how it worked! For the mixer and control panel, you just drag two files from the CD onto your hard drive and double-click them to use (not to install....to use).....no new directories, no .dll files scattered all over the disc, none of that stuff....just BAM! I've got to say I'm really liking this so far.

The FireBox itself works great....select PreSonus as the input in Garage Band, plug in your instrument or mic, and press the red button to record. Garage Band itself is even more intuitive to use than Audacity, and a heck of a lot more capable. Fun stuff.

Carol - before you buy your computer, at least find someplace that has Macs in stock and take a good, hard look at them.....there are definitely some differences coming over from the PC world, but hardware and software configuration is worlds easier (it's the true "plug and play" Windows only wishes it had!) and the operating system itself is great. I'm admittedly still in the "honeymoon" phase, but very, very impressed so far.

krissovo    0

Nice update, glad your getting on well. There is a saying "once you go Mac you never go back!". Certainly true for me, once you get your head around Mac, well once you remove the Windoze mentality you constantly find little things that make your life easier and more importantly more productive. My best moment was turning on the Mac plugging my keyboard in with a midi interface, my firewire mixer and starting garageband, everything was there ready to use! On my PC it took 20 or so minutes to get to that stage after a couple of re-boots.

Garageband is very under rated but at the same time quite limited which you will find out soon enough. It fun and fast but I take loads of short cuts, I record say 10 mins of noodling away and break it up into smaller parts and make loops. I also cut out the bad notes at the same time, take the good ones and drag them into your song hey presto a solo!

Good luck

carol m    64

Here's an update on my computer investigations - I rang my personal techy guy today and I've just got a quote for a new PC. With dual core AMD, 1 T of GB HDD and 2 gigs RAM plus XP Professional 2DVD units it will be $1014 installed wirelessly into the house-hold network. Sounded really good, and then I read your post above, Mac!

My problem with a Mac is that no-one else in the house has ever used one, and around here I am the newby computer person who needs the others to help me out with any glitches I fall into. That's why I am reluctant to take the plunge. You guys are much more computer literate than me, so for you its not a big step to change. If I was getting a second (extra) computer in addition to my main one, I could risk that, but my old one is dying so I will rely on the new one as my only one.

Which brings me to another point I've just thought of......should I get a firewire port as well? I only have USB peripherals at the moment but maybe a firewire would be a good investment and no cost much.

Meanwhile, while I was reading my quote on email, my computer died - no blue screen, nothing - blip and it was gone. And no lights when I tried to restart it.....dead? After 5mins I tried again and it worked....scarey! Perhaps my computer has a soul and didn't like what I was reading :yes: