1. 1. most common reason for screwing up recording

• technical problems
    • mic fright
    • flubbing notes
    • spouse noise
    • canine cacaphony
    • loud breathing

Doug    12

Ok, so what are your most common problems when recording a piece. Why doesn't it turn out like the hundreds of times you played it before approaching the mic?

For me, believe it or not, it's breathing noise. I guess I must have allergies or something but I've ruined more recordings from breathing sounds than anything else. The next would be the dog.

1) technical problems with recording: mics, preamps, mixers, DAW sw etc.

2) mic fright - you can play it perfectly until you press record

3) flubbing notes - just simply screwing up

4) spouse yelling to take garbage out (or equivalent)

5) dog barking, whimpering, jingling his dog tags etc.

6) mic picks up weird nose breathing sounds :crying2:

johnnydoxx    28

Trying to get the guitar part correct for a total of three verses and three choruses in a row. Performing in public I just move on past the scrunches, clunks, and buzzes and/or slide into the correct chord, but that ain't allowed in recording.

So I guess that's #3.

carol m    64

Mine is no 3, no question. But I try to turn my head away if I need to take a big breath so that would be second for me. Yesterday, I was into the 4th minute of a vocal when my watch started beeping :brickwall:

starsailor    20

Bit hard to choose, 1) definitely comes in to it but most of them do, I was hoping there'd be a ME category, the most annoying is my Wife coming in, she sees me at the computer playing my guitar and singing into the mic but instead of tiptoeing she can't help saying "Sorry I didn't know you were recording" does it everytime:lol:

Europa    0

#2. Everything sounds worse through the mic. :(:P

Another thing is, I kinda laugh alot when something goes horribly wrong (when I'm with other people) and it's kinda hard to act all serious and stuff after that. But yeah thats just me, not a very serious kinda person. :)

2,3 and 5. Mostly 3 and 5 though, I'm not quite as afraid of mics as I am of playing live in front of people. Though it depends on whether I'm recording guitar or vocals... with guitar, it's mainly 3 and 5. When singing, I sing EVERYTHING an octave lower than I'm supposed to if there's a mic in front of me, and that doesn't sound good, since I come across of low tones that I can't take.

The 5 would be my classmates suddenly bursting out with laugh, which happens quite a lot.

cshude    0

Pretty much all of them at one time or another, but flubbing notes has caused more frustration than the others. One of the reasons I build a "wall of guitars" kind of sound in my recordings is because I'm not patient enough to be a perfectionist. With enough going on, it's tougher to easily spot the flubs.