Fingerpicking Patterns Part 3 [Beginner & Intermediate/folk And Country/technique]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

Fingerpicking Patterns Part 3

This lesson is a branch from Area 3 from the Playbook for Beginners and Beyond main lesson. Visit the main lesson to see my philosophy on the five different areas of learning to play.

Here's a fingerpicking pattern that concentrates only on the inner four strings. It's a great exercise in learning to switch your fingers on the strings while continuing the pattern.

For a refresher to the type of pattern this is, open up the lessons Fingperpicking Patterns Part 1 and Fingerpicking Patterns Part 2. The mechanics of using your fingers for the pattern in this lesson was introduced in those previous lessons.

One thing to add, and you'll also see and hear this in the video: you'll notice that sometimes when I am switching chord formations that I skip a part of the fingerpicking pattern. Specifically, I am skipping the last pick on the G string. This is perfectly acceptable. It's also perfectly acceptable to not skip it, and to keep the pattern flowing perfectly. Talk about poetic license when creating on the guitar, here it is.

Below are the chord formations used in this pattern. The chord names below don't mean much, or I mean are secondary. Substitute whatever names you're comfortable with. What matters is how the chords are formed and how the pattern is fingerpicked!

As with the patterns in the previous lessons, begin slowly and be sure of your finger placement and chord switching before adding speed. Speed up a bit after that, and enjoy![/right]

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
I'm hopeful that these Fingerpicking Patterns lessons have been helpful to you! If you have any questions at all about these, ask the question in the Discussion on Members' Lessons forum.

Have fun,

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users