allthumbs

A Mini lesson about improving your voice.

She sounds like a bit of a vamp Noodler, good that you told her that wasn't the kind of sweet music you had in mind. she sounds like trouble.

She sounds like a good teacher though just easily distracted unfortunately unless you're single of course:devil2:

Don't think I'd fancy having my sinuses scraped sounds quite painful, I have trouble singing lower, I'm getting better with practice but there isn't as much power as when I'm singing higher and I do miss a note or two or three so that's what I work on more, I enjoy singing as much as playing the guitar.

That site's full of good information, I found it by chance so I got lucky there, it is worth taking lessons if you can and want to reach your full potential but maybe a less amorous teacher may be advisable:winkwink: My Wife would have rearranged her vocal chords she's a sweet girl:isaynothing:

It just occurred to me that most of singing lessons is going up by semitones singing the same thing. You know the one. I think it's 1,3,5,6,8,6,5,3,1. Should save some money and practice that! :)

C,E,G,A,C,A,G,E,C. Up a semitone and repeat whole step pattern.

That, and singing semitones. A, A#. A#, B. B, C. C,C#.

Is that universal?

Some thoughts.. as with any instrument there are different views / opinions on what is the right technique/method. As far as I understand it there's basically two, the classical "lower your adam's apple, push from your stomach and belt it out" approach, where these position of the adam's apple is designed to help you not hurt your voice. This is the realm of opera/classical singers, Musicals and Town Choirs etc. Then there are more modern "speech level" methods which focus on developing the voice naturally by training it through various exercises, which also help to protect the voice. African men who seem to be able to sing so naturally without much effort are most likely using these "speech level" methods. Unfortunately when looking for good singing advice for myself, the teachers of each method claim that following the other method will hurt your voice. Perhaps a balance between the two is where the truth is to be found, whatever works. But you find the same thing with any instrument.

So here's a more "speech level" method I found that focusses more on right technique and control and breathing.

Search for the Arceneaux Approach on youtube, and website is:

The Arceneaux Approach - Sing With Power and Freedom

I disagree on one point in these singing tips given here - opera singers are not fat because they use their diaphragm lol, there are many thin opera singers around. Two of the "three tenors" were not so big and fat like Pavarotti. I'm a brass player and trumpeters and any brass player use the diaphram as well, and don't all have fat bellies. The main reason why there are big bellied opera singers and brass players is because of all the beer drinking after a session and not getting enough exercise. Not because of using their diaphragm. If anything their stomach muscles should be tight and toned from using it, not fat. It depends not so much on how much air is being pushed through but how much air pressure is formed behind the note i.e. breath control is important and this is what these "speech level" approaches help with. With proper technique actually less air is required not more, "less is more" as they say. If you can sing well and with power and control with less air, that's a real advantage.

Here's a link to some great tips to improve your vocals. They are short, sweet and pertinent. I seem to have a problem with diction, and wanted to improve that and my singing in general. These are all tips that you can watch and start using immediately (well with the exception of finding a vocal coach).

Hope you find it as useful as I did.

Get a Vocal Coach: Learn to Sing Better: Learn to Sing Better: Free Voice Lessons | eHow.com

Nutty