Stratrat

New addition to the "family"

Stratrat    0
Nice guitar Stratrat. And a good story to boot. I like the Bigsby. I put one on my tele but the bridge was terrible and I took it off. It really needed a roller bridge or more distance between the bridge and the trem. For that guitar I would pick the Bigsby over a hardtail, given a choice.

Thanks, Fly. I remember you talking about your experiment with the Bigsby on your Tele! I wouldn't ever think of putting one on any of my Teles, but on this Gretsch it just feels right. :yes:

Noodler    1

Stratrat, I am about to join the club. I tried out an orange 6120 Brian Setzer tiger one today and love it. My lovely wife has also been kind enough to agree.

Is having that as well as an Artcore overkill or greedy?

Stratrat    0
Stratrat, I am about to join the club. I tried out an orange 6120 Brian Setzer tiger one today and love it. My lovely wife has also been kind enough to agree.

Is having that as well as an Artcore overkill or greedy?

Noodler - the way I figure it, as long as you're not neglecting your priorities (bills, food in the family's mouths, etc.), it's not overkill or greedy! :yes: There are plenty of people who spend far more on their hobbies than we do on guitars - I've recently gotten into digital SLR photography, and it makes my guitar hobby look cheap by comparison. :isaynothing: GAS is just as prevalent (if not more so), and there's always a new gadget/toy to be had.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get yours - the Setzer is a beautiful guitar!

Noodler    1
Noodler - the way I figure it, as long as you're not neglecting your priorities (bills, food in the family's mouths, etc.), it's not overkill or greedy! :yes: There are plenty of people who spend far more on their hobbies than we do on guitars - I've recently gotten into digital SLR photography, and it makes my guitar hobby look cheap by comparison. :isaynothing: GAS is just as prevalent (if not more so), and there's always a new gadget/toy to be had.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get yours - the Setzer is a beautiful guitar!

Thanks, Stratrat. It'll be a while. A shop is just holding her for me while I pay her off. My wife says that delayed gratification is something that'll be good for me to try at least once. Lol. .:cool:

Edit: did you end up posting some sound clips or even better, a video?

I realised that I tried the exact guitar you bought and quite liked it. I even liked the dirty sound better than a Les Paul. Yeah, it plays really well. That's an awesome selection. If you ever get MEIS (Modify Everything In Sight), you could drop in some TV Jones, or put stickers on her or get her pin-striped....but I'm a rockabilly fan so I dig all that kind of customised stuff.

Are you learning any Chet or Setzer stuff at the moment?

Noodler    1

Classic rockabilly style. Chet, yadda, yadda.

But I tried one and it does everything. It could be the kind of guitar that if you only owned one guitar, this could be it. Could even do Sabbatg and GnR.

GREAT choice.:yes:

Stratrat    0

Noodler - no, I haven't posted any clips/vids of the Gretsch. Things got real busy real fast and to tell the truth, I haven't even had a lot of time to play/practice at all for a while now! Life gets in the way sometimes. As I said in another post, I'd love to eventually learn some Chet/Redd western swing-type stuff, but haven't gotten there yet....playing that kind of stuff is a tall order! :yes:

Rockabilly - I've long been a fan. Saw the Stray Cats live (along with a couple other rockabilly bands) in the 80's, and still really dig Setzer...man, that cat can play!!! I'd have to say that learning any of his stuff is waaaayyyy beyond my present abilities.

I may eventually pop some TVJ's or some such pickups into the 5120 - but so far I've been enjoying her just as she is. I've recently been working on learning Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" - and while it sounds good on a Strat, the Gretsch can do that kind of sound in spades too! You're definitely right about it being a versatile guitar.

Noodler    1

It's kind of a fashion thing to slip TV Jones into those guitars, but I think they're real Flitertrons in there anyway. No need to change them unless they fail you in some way. I'd be keeping them stock if it were me. From what I remember playing it, they were great. If you change them you might lose versatility.

As for Western Swing, the chords for Mr Sandman with your basic 1-5 bassline is a good way to get started very easily. Don't have to play the proper chord-melody to get the feel, and it's fun!. Playing lead like those guys is hard though! I don't know how they come up with the ideas they have.

Another thing I like about your Gretsch is the colour. The tangerine is sweet! It's a really nice look. I don't know if you know this or not, but even expensive Gretsches are all laminate! I was surprised to find that out, for the $.