Stratrat

New addition to the "family"

OK, so I told the story in another thread. To make a long story short, I had been fighting the GAS for this big orange Gretsch 5120 for a while. The other day my wife and I went into GC while out shopping and she came up to me holding the Gretsch and said "I want you to buy this one!". I hadn't pointed it out to her, hadn't even mentioned it to her - she just came across it while walking around the store. She was completely in love with it and insisted that I buy it! Hey, I love my wife dearly and I'm all about making her happy - so if that means buying a guitar that she really likes (that I just happened to have been GAS'ing for), well, what kind of husband would I be if I said no??? :D

She named it "Katie" - this is not only the first guitar of mine that she's ever named, it's the first guitar she's ever insisted upon me buying (rather than rolling her eyes like usual) - so there's a big serving of mojo poured all over it right from the start!

7002.attach

7003.attach

Congrats on the new guitar, Katie is a beaut. Could you please share the receipt for the Magic Potion that you have been using on your wife. I would really like to replicate those results. :winkthumb:

Wow, nice one Stratrat. Beautiful guitar. I'm sure it sounds as nice as it looks.

Now, if I could just get my husband to do that, all would be good. What are the odds, first of all that your wife would do that. And secondly, pick the exact guitar guitar that you wanted. Some kind of osmosis happening!

Good for you!

Nutty

...What are the odds, first of all that your wife would do that. And secondly, pick the exact guitar guitar that you wanted. Some kind of osmosis happening!

Yep, definitely some extraordinary circumstances for all of that to line up so perfectly. I hadn't even discussed that guitar with her before, and didn't "lead" her to it in the store - she wandered off while I was looking at electronic drum kits in a whole 'nother section of the store and found it all on her own. I was pretty surprised when she walked up to me with that guitar, cradling it like it was a baby, with "that look" in her eyes.

Believe it or not, I didn't even take it home that day - I let it "cool off" overnight, wondering if she'd change her mind the next day. We got up and had breakfast, and she asked me "So are we going to go back and get Katie today?". That was it - of *course* we were! :yes:

If only it were this easy every time! She's very understanding of my hobbies (and my GAS) - really never gives me a hard time when I order/bring home new gear - but I usually at least get a roll of the eyes or a "you don't need that!". We even have a standing joke about "need" - every time she says that, I always reply "Need is such a *strong* word!".

Congrats on the new guitar, Katie is a beaut. Could you please share the receipt for the Magic Potion that you have been using on your wife. I would really like to replicate those results. :winkthumb:

Mega Dittos!!!! I have a Gibby V that I've been GASsing over..... :yes:

Well, for me I rarely use the tremolo, so even though it's possible to set it up so it's in effect a hardtail, I prefer guitars without. And in the case of Bigsby-style tremolos... well, I think they look horrible and if there is one, the whole guitar seems to me more clumpsy, even if I never touch the tremolo.

I generally prefer non-trem guitars also, CK....don't use trem often and don't like dealing with the headaches they bring. As I've said before, the only reason I haven't blocked the trem on my Strat is that it's my only guitar with a whammy, and it's not my main guitar.....so I keep it around for the rare occasions I want to noodle around with the EVH-type stuff to amuse myself. :D

The Bigsby is definitely not as bad (headache-wise) as a trem - but all I use it for is to put a little "shimmer" in things. Dive-bombs and big "whammys" are definitely out of the question with a Bigsby - it doesn't have that kind of range and isn't designed for it. I don't notice near the tuning problems with the Bigsby that I do with my Strat's trem - it actually holds tune very well.

I love the "retro" look of the Bigsby on big hollow-bodies like the Gretsch, but don't think I'd dig it on a Tele, Strat or LP....it's just not the same.

Hey stratrat...

Nice guitar man,not really my taste(I don't mean it's value),but it doesn't matter as long as your wish came true...

It's nice being a good husband and respect your wife's requests.That is what a real gentleman does :) ....

Enjoy there man...

Jess, nothing against trems..I have a Fat Strat with one. Just a lot of what i play is easy. jazzy, old standards. A trem in the hands of someone who knows how to use is a great sound, too. Just not me.

Nice guitar Stratrat. And a good story to boot. I like the Bigsby. I put one on my tele but the bridge was terrible and I took it off. It really needed a roller bridge or more distance between the bridge and the trem. For that guitar I would pick the Bigsby over a hardtail, given a choice.