starsailor

Is This Set Up Good For My Studio

starsailor    20
It comes with a PCI card that goes in your computer and then the external box plugs into the PCI card via the cable shown in the picture. So if you are comfortable opening up your computer and installing a PCI card, then it's very straight forward. The 7.13 driver for XP is likely not the one on the CD (my CD only has the old driver), but you can download the XP driver from the aardvark yahoo group, or I can send it to you.

Yeah, it appears to be in very good condition and the user has all positive feedback. I say go for it! :winkthumb: I got my Q10 on ebay about 3 or 4 or so years ago and I haven't had any problems with it.

There's really only one way you can set it up (as far as connecting it to your computer), and I have the external box sitting right underneath my computer monitor for easy access.

If you have a free PCI slot, I don't see why there should be any problems.

Good luck on your bid! :)

-tkr

Thanks for all your help Tekker, I'm sure I'll be asking for your assistance, I've got that on my watch list it's at $170.00 at the moment so still well within the budget, I've got the spare PCI slot not too sure if I should use the Apple or the Compaq but I think the Compaq is a bit faster. I'm setting the Apple up tomorrow to see what it can do but it's getting on a bit although still in mint condition:winkthumb:

All the Best

Chris

Tekker    1

I'd use the Compaq so you can use Reaper. :winkthumb:

The demo version for Reaper is unlimited and never expires, so you can try it out for a while before buying. The price is $40.

-tkr

carol m    64

Hi Chris. I had problems with my recordings having hiss and a horrible sound when using line in, especially the mic. Tekker convinced me to get a PCI Interface which (I learned) bipasses the sound card altogether and because its USB it's entirely portable and can be used on any computer you like. I got an older version Tascam on ebay for $130 I think (about 50 pounds). It has 2 mic-ins, 2 guitar-ins and a MIDI in/out, 2 other 'ins' which I'm not sure what they are for, plus Phantom power if you want, and some software drums etc. You just plug it in and play/sing no problem I only use a cheap mic but for what I do it's fine. No hiss! And it even adds some much needed tone!

There are quite a few brands, models etc and if you don't go with your deal this time, there is a looong thread (or two?) in home studio forum where Tekker kindly sorted me out a few months ago.

I agree though that a computer of any sort for that price sounds tempting, even on its own.

starsailor    20

Hi Carol,

Good to see you again, I put in a bid for the Aardvark so I'll see how that goes depends on the price really, if that doesn't come off I'll do a rethink, the other Apple is still available but the Wife's getting a bit fed up living in PC World, her face dropped a bit when I mentioned another one so I'd have to offload some of them, I'm playing with my Dell Laptop (that was one I didn't mention) to see what it's like today and also firing up the Apple G3 to see what that's made of, it has Tiger on it so it's not as high spec as the G4 I mentioned but might as well try it out, the Compaq is the most powerful so I'll have that for the Aardvark if I get it or look for a similar interface, the choices make you dizzy but I've dithered enough now and need to get my act together, I've been messing around with recording for a while so it's time to get organized I've got a few friends who are musicians now but they won't take me seriously on recording if I haven't got a decent set up, my Daughter wants to be a Rock God as well so it will move her playing forward too.

Great to hear from you again and thanks for your comments, and thanks to all the guys here, Tekker, Papadog, Krissovo, Nutty, Jimmyzowens, Johnnydox, and of course you Carol for being so helpul, you're a great bunch of people:winkthumb:

Best Wishes to all of you

Chris

shonie777    3

I just started my recording studio a few months back. I run a G-5 dual 2.3 processors 4.5 gig ram. I use Apple Soundtrack for recording. I have Qbase, but it crashed the first time I tried using it, so I said to heck with that, I'll stick to Soundtrack, it never crashes. It came with my Final Cut pro package. I do video editing as well. But that's another story. As for input to my G5 I use a Phonic Helix Board 18 Firewire MKII. I use MXL mics, basically the 990 & 991. The 990 is my fav. Works great for acoustic guitar. I also use the KRK Rokit 6 monitors and a 28in display. Like I said, I just got into recording myself and basically teaching myself. Photo of my studio is attached.

7804.attach

starsailor    20

Nice set up Shonie, Hi Eddie things got better for me once I got the little studio, I still haven't given the Q10 a full run out it froze my computer a couple of times and I started getting better results with the set up I had, I've added a Samson Microphone to my set up and increased the RAM a bit on the Computer but that's about it, liked all the guitars hanging on the wall might do that as mine is a bit cramped, ok for one person but little too cosy if a few are in there, I'll get some more pictures done. If it's possible for people to do I'd highly recommend setting up a little studio away from everything else it makes playing and recording a lot more relaxing.

Best Wishes

Chris

facefish    0
Hi guys need some quick advice, I've just seen the following set up in my local paper and it's much better than anything I've got the total cost is £135.00 which is roughly $270.00, I need to get in quick,, hope it hasn't gone already but can't ring seller till morning so thought I'd run it past you first.

Here are the specs.

MAC G4/PROTOOLS

Apple power PC 800mhz

40 Gig Hard Drive

512MB RAM

Digidesign DIGI OO1 soundcard

8 in / 8 out/ 2 mike preamps/ ADAT

+ Protools software

What do you think? all help more than appreciated:winkthumb:

Get it! It's a great price for all that gear.

This is basically what I use in the "live" room and it works just fine.

Get as much RAM as you can into the machine and it is not possible to have too much hard drive capacity. My ADAT was cheap because it is broken as a recorder. It does however give me another 8 inputs via the optical interface. Check the clock settings and make ADAT the master.

The best mics you can afford - there are plenty of reasonable ones to be had for a reasonable price but one high end one is handy for vocals and acoustic guitars.

The G4 Mac is the most reliable computer I've had, so good I now have 4 of them, and a G5 which I find is better for video.