starsailor

Is This Set Up Good For My Studio

starsailor    20

Hi guys need some quick advice, I've just seen the following set up in my local paper and it's much better than anything I've got the total cost is £135.00 which is roughly $270.00, I need to get in quick,, hope it hasn't gone already but can't ring seller till morning so thought I'd run it past you first.

Here are the specs.

MAC G4/PROTOOLS

Apple power PC 800mhz

40 Gig Hard Drive

512MB RAM

Digidesign DIGI OO1 soundcard

8 in / 8 out/ 2 mike preamps/ ADAT

+ Protools software

What do you think? all help more than appreciated:winkthumb:

Best Wishes

Chris

Tekker    1

I'm not a fan of Pro Tools (at all).

What are the specs on your current computer? Would this computer be a significant step up?

-tkr

papadog65    0

starsailor, what's your current setup? My gut feeling would be to check out other opportunities besides an outmoded Mac G4 (I have one!). The price is tempting. It has a little extra memory. The disk drive is kind of small. Don't know about ProTools or the memory board, so I'd sure want a chance to check that system out.

starsailor    20

Hi Tekker, my current Computer is a Compaq EVo D3m, it has a 20 Gig Hard Drive and 256mb of Ram.

I also have an Imac G3, which I'm setting up, just got a new keyboard for it. specs. are:

IMac

256 MB Ram

40 Gig. hard drive

Processor speed 500 MHZ

Operating System:

Mac OS 10.4, Tiger

My stuff is quite old, so this would still be a step up, unless I should just spend the money on upgrades for the ones I have, I don't know Protools so I thought I'd ask you guys, I'm currently using a Creative soundblaster live 24 soundcard, is the Digidesign DIGI OO1 a step up from that, the computer I'm using now the Compaq doesn't give me great sound quality, that's the most annoying thing for me, I haven't fired up the G3 Imac yet so I'll see what that's like might be ok.

Thanks for having a look Tekker

:winkthumb:

Regards

Chris

starsailor    20
starsailor, what's your current setup? My gut feeling would be to check out other opportunities besides an outmoded Mac G4 (I have one!). The price is tempting. It has a little extra memory. The disk drive is kind of small. Don't know about ProTools or the memory board, so I'd sure want a chance to check that system out.

Thanks for replying Papadog, as you can see the gear I have is a bit outdated so the G4 would be a small step up, I've been told a Mac is good for studio work, I don't know protools and I don't want to get something I don't get on with as I'm not the most technical person around, I was interested in the soundcard and the extra RAM, the owner said in the ad. that the sound quality is good, apparently this set up cost £1200 new but as you know that's academic as this system is about 6 years old now, I'm not too sure if I should buy this one or save the cash up and buy a really top spec computer, I don't have a lot of spare cash so it would take a while but I don't want to get stuck with another computer that isn't up to scratch, the recording element seems to be the most expensive part of doing music:winkthumb:

Cheers

Chris

krissovo    0

The G4 is a tough unit that stands the test of time well, PRO tools and the the sound card are ok but I imagine its version 6 or lower and in that case it not worth much. The G4 can run leopard and the latest version garageband so that would be worth the upgrade alone.

The G4 for £135, I would buy that at the drop of a hat and invest in as much ram as you can fit in.

starsailor    20

Thanks for replying Krissovo, I haven't contacted them yet, so don't know if they're running leopard, are they all named after cats? I was told the Mac is good for creative projects like home recording apparently that's where it comes into it's own, I've checked out Garageband I've been interested in it for a while can I run that with protools, my knowledge of protools is virtually non-existent, if this is still available I might ask the guy to give me a demo, what I'm really after is a higher quality of sound, my quality's pretty low so it wouldn't take a lot. The price is more than tempting.

Good to hear from you, hope you're keeping well.

All the Best

Chris

krissovo    0

My latest recordings are all done on garageband, this one I recently posted is one I am allmost fully happy with. The drums and bass came from garageband. The guitar work minus the solo was inbuilt guitar amps using my guitar and a 1/4 adaptor straight into the input on the MAC. Latency is very very low as the hardware is paired and designed to work with each other. You might have some issues with more than 4 tracks (I can get 16 software tracks with a new mac) but there are work arounds you can use. Many buddies on a MAC music site have equal results with the G4 and 516mb ram.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/members-recordings-lets-hear-you/19959-rooster-rules-roost/

starsailor    20

That's the sound quality I want Kriss this is very good, great tune as well by the way, garageband is the business judging by this, if I can get a decent sound quality, have a set up I can manage and have recordings I'm happy with then that will be fine, in the future I hope I can get really smart equipment but at the moment I just need to get by A) because of finances and B) because I'd have trouble convincing the Wife that spending loads of cash on a Computer for my recording is a good idea as she knows at the moment that I'm not Jimi Hendrix or Segovia reincarnated:laughingg:

Thanks for helping me out and for posting the recording, that was cool:claping:

Tekker    1

If you're going to go Mac, I'd also suggest Garage Band. I have never used Garageband, but I just really despise Pro Tools. ;)

I just got a PC with a Dual-Core AMD Athlon 64 5200+ and 2GB of RAM a while back for under $300. This also came with a case and power supply (no hard drive), so if you pieced out your components and assembled them yourself you can save a lot of money.

As far as Mac vs PC for recording, they can both work fine. The important thing is to pick your recording application first and then choose a platform. IMO PC has the best applications and the best effects plugins.

For PC, Reaper is a fantastic recording application and it costs $40 and from what I've heard it blows Garageband away.

There are a lot of interface options, how many inputs do you want? Do you want/need 8 inputs that the Digi001 has (but only two of them have preamps)?

-tkr

starsailor    20

I reached a bit of a crossroads really and I was just wondering if I should try and straighten things out with what I've got or go and buy this one that's quite cheap, the soundcard was the attraction, I don't think I need 8 inputs at present anyway, I think it's borne out of frustration, this ones quite cheap and the seller says it has excellent sound quality so I should be able to get good results right away.

I have the G3 to set up and see what it's like but as you know this is quite dated now, the computer I'm using at the moment has a Pentium 4 processor and the 24 bit external soundcard but I'm still not getting good results really and I've really run out of things to troubleshoot I've even checked the whole house out to make sure all the electrics were earthed properly as I thought that might be causing interference but that's fine but I'm still getting slight intereference I'm moving all my kit out to my little studio, maybe I'll get improvement out there, I'm kind of thinking maybe I should stick with what I've got and put the cash towards a really good soundcard but I haven't got much money to spare, the whole recording thing has become very frustrating for me, if I don't get some stuff down soon that I feel proud of I think I'll go nuts, I feel I'm a bit jinxed on this at the moment hopefully it will get better.

Thanks for checking this out Tekker it is appreciated:winkthumb:

Tekker    1

Sound Blaster cards are not meant for any kind of serious audio recording, they are gaming sound cards. So upgrading your sound card would make a huge difference.

On ebay right now there are 3 of the Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 audio interfaces, which is the interface that I use. Aardvark is out of business so these cards are selling for dirt cheap! They used to sell for over $800(I got mine for $600 used), and now I've seen them sell for under $200. :ohmy:

The Q10 does have 8 inputs and it has mic preamps on all channels, which you said you didn't necessarily need.... But it is CHEAP and VERY good quality! :)

Here is an example that I recorded with the Q10:

SoundClick artist: Tekker - page with MP3 music downloads

The instruments to listen to are the drums, bass guitar, and percussion (shaker and bongos) those are all real instruments recorded with the Q10. The organ, synth, and cello sounds were done with a MIDI keyboard and the Q10 doesn't affect their sound quality.

-tkr

Nutty    1

Hi Chris,

If you do go for the new set-up, I just finished reading "PC Recording for Dummies". It was a very good book, but all the examples used Protools and I forget the PC program (Pro Logic or something like that). But if you use Protools, which you would have, it would be an excellent resource. I knew nothing, so the book helped a lot. If you are advanced at recording, then it might not be so helpful. The author uses Protools; not sure which version though.

Hope I didn't add to the confusion.

Nutty

starsailor    20

That's tremendous clarity Tekker, I could pick out the instruments clearly, that's a very high standard of recording, and a very nice piece of music which was a real pleasure to listen to.

I think I've really been going about this the wrong way I've got a house full of bits and pieces but I should have just saved and been a bit more patient, I'll check out the Aardvark, is the fact that they've ceased trading an issue or is that not really a big deal.

I was looking at this Microphone hope you don't mind me running it past you, the ones I have are pretty cheap, I was looking at this one and the Samson CO3U which is a bit more but a nice Mic.

Samson Co1U USB Pod Casting Microphone on eBay, also Wired Microphones, Microphones, Pro Audio Equipment, Musical Instruments (end time 24-Apr-08 20:50:37 BST)

starsailor    20
tekker is usually spot on, he turned me on to audacity and is the best thing since sliced bread , so his advice is usually worth a look.

+1 to that Jimmyzowens:winkthumb:

Hi Chris,

If you do go for the new set-up, I just finished reading "PC Recording for Dummies". It was a very good book, but all the examples used Protools and I forget the PC program (Pro Logic or something like that). But if you use Protools, which you would have, it would be an excellent resource. I knew nothing, so the book helped a lot. If you are advanced at recording, then it might not be so helpful. The author uses Protools; not sure which version though.

Hope I didn't add to the confusion.

Nutty

Thanks Nutty, I've been messing around with recordings for a while but I think I've spent a lot of time running on the spot so I'm not advanced, I appear to be filling my house with Junk at the moment but I want the studio to be set up nicely so I'm trying to get better organized, sometimes I'm not the most decisive person, I've bought a few things I probably shouldn't have and I need to get my act together a bit, I've got a mate in a band that can help me out with Bass and electric guitar, I've also got my Daughter who's a drummer and I want to work with them but even my Daughter won't take me seriously with the set up I've got at the moment, her school studio blows it away.:winkthumb:

All the Best

Chris

Tekker    1
tekker is usually spot on, he turned me on to audacity and is the best thing since sliced bread , so his advice is usually worth a look.

Are you sure that was me?... I'm usually trying to convert Audacity users over to Reaper. ;):D

I was looking at this Microphone hope you don't mind me running it past you, the ones I have are pretty cheap, I was looking at this one and the Samson CO3U which is a bit more but a nice Mic.

Samson Co1U USB Pod Casting Microphone on eBay, also Wired Microphones, Microphones, Pro Audio Equipment, Musical Instruments (end time 24-Apr-08 20:50:37 BST)

I've never used one, but the info I found on it didn't sound too good.

How much are you looking at spending on a mic?

Also, what do you plan on using the mic on (such as vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, etc.)?

I'll check out the Aardvark, is the fact that they've ceased trading an issue or is that not really a big deal.

It shouldn't be a big deal unless you are using Vista (not recommended :thumbdown) as there likely won't be any Vista drivers for it.... But otherwise, I've been using Aardvark cards since I upgraded from the "Sound Blaster"-type sound card. The Aardvarks were great at full price and are now even better at 1/4 of the price! :thumbup:

-tkr

starsailor    20
Are you sure that was me?... I'm usually trying to convert Audacity users over to Reaper. ;):D

I've never used one, but the info I found on it didn't sound too good.

How much are you looking at spending on a mic?

Also, what do you plan on using the mic on (such as vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, etc.)?

It shouldn't be a big deal unless you are using Vista (not recommended :thumbdown) as there likely won't be any Vista drivers for it.... But otherwise, I've been using Aardvark cards since I upgraded from the "Sound Blaster"-type sound card. The Aardvarks were great at full price and are now even better at 1/4 of the price! :thumbup:

-tkr

Hi Tekker, I have my heart set on a USB mic really for ease of use my budget though would only be about $160 both of these probably limit my choices, I heard the CO3U being used by Damian on a song the other day and the sound quality seemed pretty good, I was hoping to have something I could plug directly into the computer with built in Phantom power but I'm open to suggestions, I have a Condenser that though cheap does give a pretty clear vocal so one for Music would probably be the priority, I play mainly Acoustic guitar at present, if I could get one that covered both it would be good but that's not always possible.

I'm not a big Vista fan too many bugs at the moment maybe in a few years time when they've sorted it out properly but XP is good for me.:winkthumb:

Tekker    1
I have my heart set on a USB mic really for ease of use my budget though would only be about $160 both of these probably limit my choices, I heard the CO3U being used by Damian on a song the other day and the sound quality seemed pretty good, I was hoping to have something I could plug directly into the computer with built in Phantom power

Are you not getting the Aardvark then?

I've got a mate in a band that can help me out with Bass and electric guitar, I've also got my Daughter who's a drummer and I want to work with them

I forgot to respond to this yesterday, but if you're going to be working with real drums then multiple inputs (at least 4, but preferably 8) is a necessity. Drums are a very large instrument and you need several mics to be able to capture it all.

-tkr

starsailor    20
Are you not getting the Aardvark then?

I forgot to respond to this yesterday, but if you're going to be working with real drums then multiple inputs (at least 4, but preferably 8) is a necessity. Drums are a very large instrument and you need several mics to be able to capture it all.

-tkr

Hi Tekker I can't find an Aardvark Soundcard on the UK ebay, so unless one came up I'd have to ship from the US that would depend if the seller wants to ship and I'll have to pay postage and possibly import fees so that will push the price up.

I'll have to get the record equipment set up so if I have 8 inputs that will cover me for the drums in the future, I've just got her a new Bass Drum peddle today so that's her treat for the week, if I can get the recording up to scratch then I can save for the Drum Mics. :winkthumb:

Tekker    1

This one ships worldwide and the shipping to UK is $36.

Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 - Pampered - eBay (item 250236740978 end time Apr-20-08 19:32:50 PDT)

Even if you spend $300 (with shipping) on it, you can't get anything that cheap with the interface AND preamps. One of the cheapest M-Audio sound cards (the Delta44) has 4 inputs, no preamps, and costs $150. Then the absolute bottom of the line cheapest preamp you can get is the Art Tube MP, which costs $30 for each. So even going one of the cheapest routes, getting only 4 inputs and 4 preamps will cost $270. So the Aardvarks are a steal! :thumbup1:

-tkr

starsailor    20
This one ships worldwide and the shipping to UK is $36.

Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 - Pampered - eBay (item 250236740978 end time Apr-20-08 19:32:50 PDT)

Even if you spend $300 (with shipping) on it, you can't get anything that cheap with the interface AND preamps. One of the cheapest M-Audio sound cards (the Delta44) has 4 inputs, no preamps, and costs $150. Then the absolute bottom of the line cheapest preamp you can get is the Art Tube MP, which costs $30 for each. So even going one of the cheapest routes, getting only 4 inputs and 4 preamps will cost $270. So the Aardvarks are a steal! :thumbup1:

-tkr

Hi Tekker, That's the first time I've seen the Aardvark Q10 it's some bit of kit, is it straightforward to install it looks like you just plug it in with a scart lead I thought it was just a soundcard that you fitted,:laughingg: it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. I will need some guidance from you if that's ok if I get this but he has the install discs so it should be ok, seems in pretty good condition what do you think?, how have you got yours setup? and finally will it be ok with the Compaq computer I'm using at the moment? I agree with you about the price and your figures show what value it is, the postage is very reasonable as well.

Thanks for the link to that, I hope his reserve isn't above $300:winkthumb:

Tekker    1
is it straightforward to install it looks like you just plug it in with a scart lead I thought it was just a soundcard that you fitted,:laughingg:

It comes with a PCI card that goes in your computer and then the external box plugs into the PCI card via the cable shown in the picture. So if you are comfortable opening up your computer and installing a PCI card, then it's very straight forward. The 7.13 driver for XP is likely not the one on the CD (my CD only has the old driver), but you can download the XP driver from the aardvark yahoo group, or I can send it to you.

seems in pretty good condition what do you think?

Yeah, it appears to be in very good condition and the user has all positive feedback. I say go for it! :winkthumb: I got my Q10 on ebay about 3 or 4 or so years ago and I haven't had any problems with it.

how have you got yours setup?

There's really only one way you can set it up (as far as connecting it to your computer), and I have the external box sitting right underneath my computer monitor for easy access.

and finally will it be ok with the Compaq computer I'm using at the moment?

If you have a free PCI slot, I don't see why there should be any problems.

Good luck on your bid! :)

-tkr

johnnydoxx    28

Just as a measurement, my Tascam DP-02 studio machine cost $500 + tax at Guitar Center. I can record away from my computer and there are many nice effects if you care to use them. No sound card problems and no need for software on the PC, other than a WAV -> MP3 converter, for which I use freeware named LAME. The DP-02 has a lot of neat capabilities on it too.

As some of you have witnessed it has improved the quality of my recordings immensely.

starsailor    20
Just as a measurement, my Tascam DP-02 studio machine cost $500 + tax at Guitar Center. I can record away from my computer and there are many nice effects if you care to use them. No sound card problems and no need for software on the PC, other than a WAV -> MP3 converter, for which I use freeware named LAME. The DP-02 has a lot of neat capabilities on it too.

As some of you have witnessed it has improved the quality of my recordings immensely.

Thanks for having a look Johnnydoxx, I've listened to your recent recordings and they are very high quality, I'm not too sure how much that would cost over here, I wish I lived in the U.S.A as everything is so much cheaper than over here, it's quite funny I came on with a question about an Apple but I've gone off at a tangent, I only have limited funds so I don't think that would fit my budget but it's a brilliant bit of kit, I've hoarded computers here a bit I've actually got three where I'm sitting now, 2 compaqs and the Apple G3, I'm hoping I can get set up with one of these as I think my Wife would want an explanation if I bought another Computer, I think I can get away with a soundcard but we'll wait and see, if I get the Aardvark it's heading straight for the Studio, It seems to tick the right boxes as I'll be able to give my Daughter a chance to record her Drums so I'm quite keen on it, I've written two songs tonight so I've got to start recording some decent stuff soon, it's doing my head in not getting decent recordings:winkthumb:

Hope you're doing well JD love the songs you're putting on and the 50s thread was great:winkthumb:

Best Wishes

Chris