Burps

OS X 10.3.9 Macintosh

Burps    0

Hi Folks,

Just a brief note to enquire how many OS X hipsters are out there. - I use an eMac for recording purposes etc. - I do attend a Mac user group once a month. - However, there are no musicians in the group...at this point. - I'm keen to learn more about recording software for OS X and all the other problems associated with the whole process - I'm keen to learn more. - Feel free to respond.

Cheers

Burps

Clancy    36

Burps,

Many members here use Audacity for recording. It's free software and it's available for mac. Here's the download link - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

There are a few mac users here. Rockerbob and Neilsonite are two that come to mind, but I'm sure there are others here too. Maybe they can give you some advice.

I'll also move this thread into the music software forum, it'll probably get more attention there.

Cheers

Clancy

stubbie7    1

Burps:

Another Mac user here. Haven't done much recording with my Mac yet. Have played with Garage Band a little and it looks like it would be enough for me. I do know the THE software on the Mac for music is Pro Tools; not sure about if your eMac has enough juice. Although, my music teacher uses Pro Tools on an iMac all the time so if you want to provide your system info I can ask him if he thinks it would work for you. I know another musician who uses Pro Tools, has certification to use it and absolutely loves it.

Rick

Neilsonite    2

Hi, I'm an experienced Mac user, and do professional recording and composing on my system... Any questions, I'll be glad to help.

I use Logic Pro, which is very popular and fantastic software, and I personally much prefer it to ProTools for my style of composing, but each has its strengths.

Seriously, my best advice is to open up GarageBand. It's there on your Mac (comes free on all Macs), and it is IMHO so far and away the best piece of consumer audio software available, and there is nothing else for any platform that comes even remotely close in terms of ease of use or quality, price, or scalability. It has many of the most important features of Logic, and many useful features that are much more difficult (or lacking altogether) in ProTools LE, such as great built-in user-friendly software instruments and audio units, like guitar amps and effects, as well as heaps of channel presets to get things down quickly. If you want new instruments and loops, there are loads available free on the web, or buy some Jam Packs for the style you want... You'll wonder what you ever did without it! :)

If you're running out of power on your eMac, you may want to get more RAM, or even make the step up to a new iMac or something like that...

I'm not sure what you mean by "other problems associated with the whole process"... You can just plug any MIDI keyboard with a USB out in to your eMac, it will work straight away. To record acoustic guitar you could just use the built-in mic on your eMac, or do the same with an electric through an amp... Or are you after an audio interface to plug mics and so on into? If you want info on that, let me know.

Have fun!

James

Burps    0

.....thanks James,...am using Garageband #1 at present. - The only downfall is not being able to record simultanious tracks. - Hence, up-grading to GB #2...in good time. - I'm a little dubious about posting my recordings...Kirk's heard a few. - However, he received then via the mail man. - Anyway, would be interested in hearing some of your stuff...if you wish.

Cheers

Burps

:unsure:

lorirocks    1

I have an iMac. I've had it for only 5 months. I use Audacity. I want to use Garage Band but I think I need to buy an interface to use it. I'm still learning how to use my Mac. Nobody in my family can help me cuz I'm the only mac user. So far, I love it and won't be going back to windows.

Neilsonite    2

Burps - you're wanting to record multiple tracks simultaneously? How many tracks?Which instruments? Do you have all the mics and an audio interface capable of doing that? Are you using any MIDI, or are you simply tracking live bands?

GarageBand 2 can certainly do that for you, but based on your original post I think I underestimated your hardware needs!!!

Lori - glad you're enjoying your iMac! Anything you can do in Audacity, you can do in GarageBand, you don't need an interface for just recording guitar... You can just use the iMac's built-in microphone (don't worry if you can't even see it, it's there...), or if you're playing electric (or acoustic with a pickup), you can just plug your guitar in to the audio in on your iMac and go (you'll need an 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter, about $1 from any electronics store...). The guitar amp simulations are really good, and lots of fun...

Have you checked out the 'Help' section on GarageBand? It will take you through what you need to know step by step, and learning your way around the program will take maybe 15 mins tops...

If you're in the Finder, then selecting Mac Help (from the Help menu) will tell you everything you need to know about using your mac in general...

Hope that helps, any specific questions let me know...

James

Rockerbob    47

I've been a mac users for many years. My current Dual G5 is my 8th or 9th mac. I also have/have had many other computers as well running Windows, Linux, even Solaris, but I still like the mac best overall. I've been recording on my Macs for many years. I use Digital Performer as well as other applications. I use a lot of Waves plugins. They are expensive, but they sound good.

GarageBand is a good way to start. It's fairly easy to use and has lots of capabilities.

Neilsonite    2

Hey Rocker Bob, Dual 2.0? If so, same here... :)

It sounds like you've owned many more macs than I have, but you've got me reminiscing... I used to hog my Mum's Mac Plus and SE/30, and I wrote, notated, and recorded my first tunes on that little SE/30! I can't even remember what software I used, but I remember having such a great time doing it! After that I had a little Performa that I used to record on, but I still can't remember what I used... I stepped up to an iMac with ProTools LE and Reason, and then stepped up again to my current setup based around the PowerMac and Logic Pro... Still just as much fun!

I've heard really good things about the Waves plugins, but I've spent so much time with Logic's instruments and barely scratched the surface (have you seen Sculpture - it's insane!!!!) that I haven't been able to justify the money...

Must be sensible with musical purchases... Must be sensible with music purchases...:unsure:

James

tunemeup    0

Just picked up the new iMac about three weeks ago and am loving it! Glad to have stumbled across this thread as it already has some wonderfully suprising information! (Hopefully I will have something to contribute within the next few months!)

lorirocks    1
Lori - glad you're enjoying your iMac! Anything you can do in Audacity, you can do in GarageBand, you don't need an interface for just recording guitar... You can just use the iMac's built-in microphone (don't worry if you can't even see it, it's there...), or if you're playing electric (or acoustic with a pickup), you can just plug your guitar in to the audio in on your iMac and go (you'll need an 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter, about $1 from any electronics store...). The guitar amp simulations are really good, and lots of fun...

Have you checked out the 'Help' section on GarageBand? It will take you through what you need to know step by step, and learning your way around the program will take maybe 15 mins tops...

If you're in the Finder, then selecting Mac Help (from the Help menu) will tell you everything you need to know about using your mac in general...

Hope that helps, any specific questions let me know...

James

Whoah! You're right! It does work like Audacity. I couldn't get it to work before and I gave up too easy. I bought a book called "Mac Addict - Making Music with Garage Band" but I haven't started reading it yet. I guess I'll start it this weekend.

Thanks James. I love you like I would an uncle. :D:clap::thumbup1:

Neilsonite    2

No worries Lori, happy to help, and that's easily the best response I've ever received! :D

Looking forward to hearing some of your masterpieces soon! :thumbup1:

James

eddiez152    129

Happy to find this post too. I just got an IMAC based on a friends suggestions to do so for recording stuff. My interface selections are on a MAC OS X

1. Fast Track Pro - Ableton Live Lite 4

2. Firebox - Cubase LE

3. Lexicon Omega - Cubase LE

4. Sterling Audio Condenser mic ST-55

5. Shure 58

Right now reading it all.

So I plug it in and have to see what happens next. Gonna start with Garage Band then heaven help us all. :laughingg::callbeer:

Any help in the future will be greatly appreciated.

Gonna leave everyone alone until I'm ready to cut my wrist, well scratch them anyway.

eddiez

Burps    0

............good luck. - Don't slash your wrists yet ! - I've up-graded to G.B.#3...it works a treat. - Some say GB lacks this, that and the other. - Keep in mind...there's a friendly HELP menu to explain the in's and out's...piece of cake.

Adios

Burps

:)

eddiez152    129

Burps,

I gave it a first shot tonight. GB sure is user friendly. No hook up's or mic installed just the monitor. Next the other stuff a little at a time.

eddiez

:yes:

papadog65    0

I use an iMac 17" that I bought in late 2004. That was before Garage Band came out. The OS is at 10.3.9. I don't record much, but have played around with Audacity. I've been using GuitarPro 5 for some light composition, but haven't been able to get the RSE (Realistic Sound Engine) to work.

For recording, I jus turn on my amp and rely on the built-in mic after twiddling with Audacity's level controls. I tried singing into it once, but it made my voice sound funny! :guitardude:

Burps    0

..........all it's going to take now is a digital/analogue device...some RCA leads, speakers and an amp and you're laughing. - The D/A device cost me $200 AU' a few years back...the rest I picked up at a 2nd hand store for peanuts. - A small investment all considering.

Burps

:D