79Lespaul

Hollow Body Electric Guitars

Andy S    9

Noodler,

I forget the actual number R1 vs R2, but I know I have a regular wound in the Neck and a Hot wound in the neck.

And I forgot to mention in this post, I rewired it so the configuration is (to me) more of the old style Les Paul. That is, the volume controls control only the pickup assigned to it. In most 4 control (2 Volume, 2 tone) setups, when you roll the volume all the way down on one of the volume controls, the signal is completely cut off to the output. Silence. I changed mine back according to the wiring diagram from Stew-Mac for LP style guitars.

I can get very good tone control and volume control on this thing. If I run it full volume, the growl on the neck is just noticeable. On the the bridge, it shows a bit more of it's teeth and has the Rock-a-billy tone I was looking for. If I hit it harder, it really growls. If I roll off the volume, say from 10 to 8, it gets a nice sweet, Gretsch tone (I think so anyway)

If I roll off some of the tone, it mellow out and gets a really nice, smooth jazz tone out of the neck pup. The Bridge pup smooths out but still stands out in the mix.

For the small amount of money they want, I have been VERY happy with the tones I get out of them. I was worried I would not get the tones I wanted and was debating to go with TV Jones pups or Hilo-trons (at a LOT higher cost). I got these on GFS E-bay site at a lower than usual intro price. They were like $29 bucks each with $7.50 for S&H for both. Installed pretty easy (hey! It's a hollow body, a bit more work than the usual solid body!) And I'm happy with the tones.

Hope that helps. And sorry for not having the exact model numbers. It's been a while and I no longer have the paperwork....and, yes, my memory ain't what it used to be! 55 has NOT been a great year for me, mentally, at least!

Noodler    1
I forget the actual number R1 vs R2, but I know I have a regular wound in the Neck and a Hot wound in the neck.

I'm guessing this is a typo, and that you mean

Neck: Regular wound

Bridge: Hot wound

It sounds perfect for me. Exactly what I'm after. So I'll have to look for them in Australia. Thanks for the cost-saving tip!

79Lespaul    0

While at GC checking out the semi/hollow body guitars I stumbled upon a dream guitar. Maybe the one for me! It is the 125th Anniversary edition G6118T-LTV from Gretsch. I was totally blown away by it. I am a fan of special/ anniversary guitars anyway, but this one is awesome. It should be though with its price tag!!! To me the Country Gentleman and Brian Setzer models both have alot to offer. I like the Gibson 175 too. Do any of ya'll own this Gretsch 125th Anniversary Edition? This is going to be a hard decision!!!:sweatdrop

Andy S    9
I'm guessing this is a typo, and that you mean

Neck: Regular wound

Bridge: Hot wound

It sounds perfect for me. Exactly what I'm after. So I'll have to look for them in Australia. Thanks for the cost-saving tip!

DOH!!!! And I thought I proof read it!!! Better quit typing replies when I'm tired and in need of sleep!! :brickwall:

Glad you figured it out! That's it, exactly!!

Hope you can find them there!

Noodler    1

Aw, don't be like that. The main thing is you passed on the info which I am grateful for. Now it's just a matter of sourcing them in Australia. We don't use credit cards. I'll try e-bay first, or get a shop to order them for me.

Not sure if I'll replace the neck PUP, but the bridge sounds perfect for what I'm after, and cheaper than TV Jones of F'Trons. Thanks again for posting a site with samples, so I could have a listen and choose.

Another thing with the artcore is that I might have to pay to get my strings changed the first time and watch the tech, because I think the bridge is just held in place by the tension of the strings ie it's not actually fixed to the guitar. The foam under it must be to protect the finish.

Thanks again.

Stratrat    0

I played that orange G5120 again today at GC....this time the wife was with me. I have to say, this is the first time she's actually *encouraged* me to buy a guitar - she absolutely loves that thing! I sat there and played it for about a half-hour, and almost ended up taking it home. My wife asked the sales "dude" about other Gretsch models and he mentioned that the MIJ models are nicer than the MIK models, but about $500 more expensive. She wants me to check out some of those MIJ models before I pull the trigger - hey, who am I to say no when she's waving a big green flag and actually *wanting* me to buy one?

So, for you Gretsch experts, what are the next models up in the Gretsch line beyond the G5120 Electromatic?

Lcjones    8
I played that orange G5120 again today at GC....this time the wife was with me. I have to say, this is the first time she's actually *encouraged* me to buy a guitar - she absolutely loves that thing! I sat there and played it for about a half-hour, and almost ended up taking it home. My wife asked the sales "dude" about other Gretsch models and he mentioned that the MIJ models are nicer than the MIK models, but about $500 more expensive. She wants me to check out some of those MIJ models before I pull the trigger - hey, who am I to say no when she's waving a big green flag and actually *wanting* me to buy one?

So, for you Gretsch experts, what are the next models up in the Gretsch line beyond the G5120 Electromatic?

Hey strat,

I'm not a Gretsch expert. In the hollow body's there is quite a price jump between the 51xx series and 6xxx series. In the 6's you won't find a bad one. The 6 quality is top flight gear. It becomes a color and tone choice. While you're researching, here's a little fuel for the fire ... BRIAN SETZER GUITAR GALLERY

:)

Andy S    9

Another thing with the artcore is that I might have to pay to get my strings changed the first time and watch the tech, because I think the bridge is just held in place by the tension of the strings ie it's not actually fixed to the guitar. The foam under it must be to protect the finish....

Yeh, the foam gets removed. Now, on the bridge moving around. When I replace strings, I usually do one at a time. But when I replaced the pups, I just put some cellophane tape around the edges of the Wood saddle that the bridge sits on. So it made the outline of where the thing sat. Once done with the install of the pups, I put the bridge assembly back in the cellophane outline, put on the strings, tuned up & Presto!! Right back in business! Tape pulls right off, no problems.

I also raised the bridge just a bit and the extra angle seems to put a bit more tension on the strings at the bridge so it seems more stable.

Someone else told me to use just a touch of violin bow rosin on the saddle so it would stay in place. Didn't try that since they couldn't confirm it wouldn't damage the finish.

But it seems to working just fine and the only thing I would replace it with would be the white one I posted earlier.

Stratrat    0
Hey strat,

I'm not a Gretsch expert. In the hollow body's there is quite a price jump between the 51xx series and 6xxx series. In the 6's you won't find a bad one. The 6 quality is top flight gear. It becomes a color and tone choice. While you're researching, here's a little fuel for the fire ... BRIAN SETZER GUITAR GALLERY

:)

Thanks for the advice and the link, Les. I did some research last night, and the higher-end Gretsch models are a little too rich for my blood right now. I ended up going back and buying the 5120 today - couldn't resist that big orange beauty, and wife kept prodding me! :yes: GC even managed to find a brand-new one still in the box, so I didn't get the "floor model" that's been thrashed by everybody in the store. My wife named it "Katie" (first guitar she's ever encouraged me to buy, and first guitar she's ever cared about enough to name - major coup!), and wanted to sit and listen to me play it when we got home. I'll post some pics in the "Show Us Your Gear" thread within the next day or so.

For now, short review - VERY beautiful, nice-playing guitar...believe it or not it came out of the box almost perfectly intonated, with decent action. The controls are different than what I'm used to, but nothing I can't get over quickly. The humbuckers it comes with don't have the "classic" Gretsch sound, but they get some nice tones...I may or may not swap them out at some point. I actually like the "big" feel of the guitar, and the Bigsby doesn't hose your tuning like a Strat trem does.....you can add a nice "shimmer" to chords and notes, but no wheedly divebomb stuff (fine with me).

Lcjones    8

Hey strat,

I'm really glad you got a Gretsch. You will love every moment of it! They are fabulous. The store where I bought the 6119 had the orange 5120 right next to it. I spent several days mulling it over and finally decided to go get the 5120. When I got there it was gone. But the store had just lost it's Fender franchise and they had the 6119 marked *way* down and it was the last Gretsch in the shop. So I dropped for it. And then the Mrs dropped .... :) She has since recovered. :)

We'll have to Gretsch something out. :)

LC

79Lespaul    0

Wow!!!! I can see now why you had to buy "Katie" !!! It was just meant to be:wow: Keep me posted about how your settling in with her!:leadguitar:

This may be splitting hairs , but does it really make alot of difference in these high-end semi/hollow body electrics the type of wood used to make the body of the guitar? What's considered the best wood for a body in this genre?:cool:

Stratrat    0
Hey strat,

I'm really glad you got a Gretsch. You will love every moment of it! They are fabulous. The store where I bought the 6119 had the orange 5120 right next to it. I spent several days mulling it over and finally decided to go get the 5120. When I got there it was gone. But the store had just lost it's Fender franchise and they had the 6119 marked *way* down and it was the last Gretsch in the shop. So I dropped for it. And then the Mrs dropped .... :) She has since recovered. :)

We'll have to Gretsch something out. :)

LC

The 6119 is a beauty, Les - I can *quite* understand why you're so happy with it, especially if you got it for a nice price! :yes: The pups on the 5120 are different than 'Trons or TVJ's - warmer-sounding, without as much of the characteristic Gretsch "jangle". The jury's still out on whether I'll replace them....I've been doing a lot of reading over on the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages), and about 90% of the guys who buy the 5120 swap the pups out for TVJ's or one of the GFS varieties (Nashvilles or Liverpools).

I'd love to "Gretsch" something out with you - if you come up with any suggestions that are within my meager skill levels, I'm all ears!

Mac

Noodler    1

Thanks for the tip Andy S, for how to mark it when I remove the foam and strings (haven't been brave enough to do it yet). I did read to remove the strings one at a time. There is a free document that comes with Gretsches you can get as a PDF online "How to Care For Your Guitar" or something like that. It had similar great tips of that sort.

I'm surprised those 'buckers don't sound Gretschy, stratrat! They sure look like they would from the photo. Looks are deceiving with these guitars. Congrats on buying her.:drool:

And then the Mrs dropped .... She has since recovered.
ROTFL :laughingg: