79Lespaul

Hollow Body Electric Guitars

I am interested in hearing from those of you that own one about how you like it and what you think is the best one available today.

Does Gibson still make the Birdland? Is Gretch still a good guitar?

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the Gibson ES 335.

Research it.

LOTS.

For starters, the ES 335 is not a hollow-bodied guitar. Honestly. It is a semi-hollow. The middle has a big plank of wood, and the f holes are into chambers on each side. So do you want a hollow-body, or semi hollow?

Next, what do you want to do with it? For jazz, if you've got a Les Paul, use your neck pup, wind off the tone and save yourself lots of money!

Do you want a slimline or a jumbo? For instance, do you realise just how big some of these guitars actually are? Especially compared to a LP. BTW, Gibson, if you visit their site has a more modern version of the ES335 (the ES339). It is smaller and has the output jack at the side rather than the top of the guitar:

The Gibson Electric Spanish Semi-Hollowbody - ES-339 by Gibson Custom

Another lesser known company I would try is Eastwood:

Welcome to Eastwood™ Guitars.com The Classic 6 sounds good. There is a demo. A great link for plain weird guitars, too.

Other considerations are pickups. Because I like rockabilly, I wish I'd waited and got a Gretsch with Filtertrons/ TV Jones pickups. Seems to be extremely important to tone. You might want p-90's. It so depends on what you want it for.

Finish is also pretty important. These guitars are extremely light. Everything guitar is cheaper in the US, but I had a go of a 335 and a nice $4500 Gretsch. I was surprised the skinny neck and lack of weight. It felt junky, actually, because I am used to solid-bodies, but I am sure that the super-lighness is supposed to improve the tone. It would be so easy to break one of these things. They look really tough, but feel like balsa! Do you want gloss?

Anyway, it sounds like money is no object, so I won't say anything about my Ibanez Artcore:

Ibanez AFS75T

...except that it is a good idea to do lots of research (I'm not saying I don't like it, though, it's good for the price, but it's not what I was after).

So, what do you want to play on it?

Okay, if Noodler is not going to say anything about his Artcore, I won't say anything about mine either.

When you go to your favourite guitar store(s) and have a play of some of these famous guitars, Gibson, Guild, Gretsch and so on, you will like them, they are all great guitars. Whether they justify costing six or seven times what an Artcore or say, an Epiphone costs is to me, very debatable. Sure the hardware is better, (where have I heard this before?) but only you know if you really need the best pups, etc! that money can buy. I think Noodler has it, You got to do your own research. Guitars are very personal things.

Thanks Noodler and737blues.

I've always wanted a non solid body guitar , but never learned anything about them. I was hoping to get the skinny on the better ones before going to look so I wouldn't be too much of a dork!

I saw Eric Clapton play a huge butterscotch hollow body on his "Nothing but the Blues" tour. I think it is on his Layla album. Anyway it was the best sounding guitar of about 6 or 7 he played!

I have always liked John Lennon's white(?) semi- hollow guitar he played on the Beatles Revolution, Yer Blues. I don't know what it is , but I like it! Chet Atkins On a Country Gentleman...WOW!

I'll probably play rock and roll, but some fusion will be there too.

I want the best I can get for between 1 and 2K $$$.

70LesPaul,

I have an Ibanez AG85 hollow-body electric. without a doubt one of the nicest guitars I've owned. But now they've gone and ruined for me!!!! I saw this one, up close & personal last week!!! I guess I'm a sucker for White with Gold hardware!! And it played oh sooo niiice!

I'm in LOVE!!!! :wub::drool:

Check out the site:

Ibanez :: Hollow Guitars :: AF75TDG

And I'll try to attach a picture is it isn't too big.

6945.attach

If you want vintage at a cheap price. The little known Lyle guitar is a good choice. The fact that they are called lawsuit guitars speaks a lot. Mine plays real nice:yes:

Bob

6946.attach

Is Gretch still a good guitar?

Absolutely. Even the Electromatics made in Korea are top flight outfits.

I have a Gretsch 6119TR that will knock your socks off. Jazz, rock, grunge, country, it is sweet no matter what your genre is. As well, I have a Rickenbacker 360/12 Semi-hollow which is, of course, a sound unlike any other guitar. Stunning to say the least!

The Gretsch is light weight, excellent tones, well balanced, superb neck-work and a joy to play and dang it, just out and out pretty to look at. ;)

On the Gretsch, for the all around, cover your bases tones, get the Filtertron pups. If you want extra hot and sassy crunch, go the extra mile and get TV Jones pups.

OMG!!! SaWeeeet!!! Andy, this baby may have a new home soon!

I'll be checking this one out for sure!

? $$$$

:thumbup1:

They're very affordable. About 1/5th the price of an ES335 in Australia! I thought you were looking at top shelf?

Since you are looking into the Ibanez now, I'll be honest with you. If I had the money (and it seems like you do), I'd be going with something with Filtertron pickups as a minimum. I tried to look up Lcjone's guitar online, but no luck, except for price. Seems surprisingly affordable! (about $900 US). The Ibanez will get people saying,"Wow!" every time you pull it out, which I love :yeahhh: , but the pickups won't have the same grit as Filtertrons. I'm thinking about upgrading to Filtertrons when I can afford it, but again cost was a huge factor for me.

The Gretsch Pages: Gretsch Guitars: G6119-1962 Tennessee Rose 1962 Reissue Oh, be still my beating :wub: heart! Is this like yours, Lc?

The Ibanez looks great, and sounds OK, but it will not have the kind of grit and twang that this has (a video of the G6119):

However, if anyone here knows how to get that tone out of the Artcore, please share. This is the tone I was after but I bought entirely based on price and looks, expecting all f-hole guitars to be pretty much the same. I was so wrong! That's what I mean about researching. Don't jump into this decision.

A proper red Gretsch and a mo'. Some guys get all the luck! Work made me shave mine off. :whip::hammers:

That's what I mean about looks being deceiving. Except for the Filtertrons, it looks very, very much like the Ibanez.

I wonder if I saved up and put a Filtertron in the bridge of my Ibanez Artcore, what that would sound like?

.........Since you are looking into the Ibanez now, I'll be honest with you. If I had the money (and it seems like you do), I'd be going with something with Filtertron pickups as a minimum. ....................... The Ibanez will get people saying,"Wow!" every time you pull it out, which I love :yeahhh: , but the pickups won't have the same grit as Filtertrons. I'm thinking about upgrading to Filtertrons when I can afford it, but again cost was a huge factor for me.
However, if anyone here knows how to get that tone out of the Artcore, please share. This is the tone I was after but I bought entirely based on price and looks, expecting all f-hole guitars to be pretty much the same. I was so wrong! That's what I mean about researching. Don't jump into this decision.

I think it depends on what you want. I sort of agree. I wanted more of a Gretsch sound but opted for some GFS pickups. Mine are the Retrotron Nashville pups. Uhm, I forget, they may be the Hot wound pups. But I really like them over the original pups. A bit more growl and inexpensive compared to original Filtertrons

GFS Retrotron Hot Nashville Overwound Humbucker Gold

And they come in GOLD!! That is the way I'd go!, but that's me.

I knew I could count on the GforB&B Forum !!!

Lots of great info for me to go over!!!

The more of ya'll I hear from, the better.

I always heard that the Gibson Birdland was the top of the line in non solidbody guitars. Anyone's thoughts on that?

I didn't find a Wells Fargo bag of money, but lets say you did. Which top of the line semi/hollow body would ya'll purchase with the reward money you got for returning the bag of money?

I didn't find a Wells Fargo bag of money, but lets say you did. Which top of the line semi/hollow body would ya'll purchase with the reward money you got for returning the bag of money?.....

381V69

Yep.

I've always wanted a Rickenbacker. They are in a class by themselves! This 1957 381V69 reissue looks right up my alley!

I'm a lover of the classic guitars. This ones' a real beauty!

I may do a seperate Rickenbacker purchase from the current semi/hollow body guitar search!

..........I didn't find a Wells Fargo bag of money, but lets say you did. Which top of the line semi/hollow body would ya'll purchase with the reward money you got for returning the bag of money?

Ah!! Ah honest person!! What would I purchase with ...THE REWARD money! :winkthumb:

Hmm.. depends on what the reward was. Let's say in the $3000 range? I think I'd have to go for a Gretsch of some sort. Maybe one of the Brian Setzer models.

I recently played a Gretsch G5120 at the local GC. It definitely feels different than the Teles/Strats I'm used to playing, but it was a very cool looking/sounding/playing guitar! I've been more-than-casually eyeballing the Epiphone Dot, Ibanez Artcore, etc. - but if I were going to plunk down the cash right now, that orange Gretsch would be coming home with me.

In the "reward money" scenario, I'd be thinking along the lines of a Gretsch Chet Atkins, or maybe one of the Rickenbacker 300 series. I've always loved the Rick's "jangle".

Ah!! Ah honest person!! What would I purchase with ...THE REWARD money! :winkthumb:

Hmm.. depends on what the reward was. Let's say in the $3000 range? I think I'd have to go for a Gretsch of some sort. Maybe one of the Brian Setzer models.

I second that. I reckon Setzer is the gateway drug of rockabilly, the same way Metallica is of metal. I'd love to have that black one he plays with the scrolled pattern on it for looks, or the silver sparkly one for sound. That things sounds tough!

The Brian Setzer Model Photos sure look great! Have you played one?

I'm seeing a trend in folks liking the Gretsch!

Yes, Last summer at Sam Ash. Didn't get it too loud though. There were a LOT of folks there that day and there were a lot of people trying to play out of tune at various volumes, all at the same time. :mad::brickwall: If you know what I mean!! (if you can't tell it's out of tune, then you probably shouldn't be trying to play it!!)

But the bit I could here was very nice. It felt really nice, too. Vibrato bar was sweet and the tuning, with the Sperzel tuners, stayed put! I believe there are several different versions of Setzer models. One is like a signature model, made in Korea. The Hotrod. That was the one I played. Still really nice!

The others are American made and I think they are the Nashville models with the tweaks to the tuners and pickups and, Oh yeh! the Dice for the volume & tone control knobs. It's a bit more money.

But I'd take any of them if someone was giving them away!!!

FUR SHUR!!!:smilinguitar::yes:

Andy S, what I was hoping for was to have a neck humbucker that I could wind down the tone on for jazz (Wes Montgomery mellow/ smooth jazz), and a bridge PUP that had that F'Tron-style gravel. But on that link you posted, the neck pickup was the one with the R'Billy tone I like. Which PUP do you tend to select for R'Billy?

And did you buy one or two PUP's? If one, which one?