Nutty

A Couple of Recording Questions

First question has to do with speakers. I have recorded all the tracks as wave stero files. I have panned the different instruments, but all the sound only comes out of one speaker. I have a floor stand speaker and two side speakers.

Second question has do to with volume. The software I use (PowerTracks) can create audio harmonies. When this happens it significantly boosts the volume (to the point of clipping). However, I only have the harmony on the chorus, so the volumes are way out of sinc between the chorus and versus. Is there a way to adjust (balance) this? Can I just normalize the two tracks maybe?

Thanks.

Nutty

Hi Nutty,

Only a suggestion - but it may help to debug by going through the chain. For example, if you can hear stereo on headphones then you know it was recorded properly. If it's mono on headphones then it most likely has to do the the recording sw. If it's stereo on headphones - check the wiring to the speakers.

I don't use PowerTracks - I use Tracktion. I have two inputs form my recording device and use two mics. One I pan hard right and the other I pan hard left. On the sw screen, I can adjust how the two are mixed together. Is this similar to how you do it?

Maybe you can try to record something simple - panned into one speaker and then the other to see if you hear it that way when it's played.

As for the second question, is there a way in PowerTracks to select a section of the recording and adjust the volume of jsut that section? That's how I'd do it with Tracktion.

Not much help I guess...

Thanks Doug...it was helpful. I went back and got my husband involved and it turned out that it was one of the cables I was using to split/connect the speakers from the computer to firebox. The guy at the music store said that the one plug must have been mono. Got a new cable set and appear to be in business.

I haven't figured out the second part out yet either, but I'm sure there's a way to do it.

Thanks.

Nutty

I have never used PowerTracks, but is there should be a mixer window where you can adjust the volume of individual tracks.

Look for a menu such as "View" or "Window" (or something along these lines) and then look for "Mixer".

-tkr