carol m

Reaper - Downloading and Installing VST plugins

carol m    64

I've read Tekker's lesson about this here

and I read there

"after you haved downloaded and unzipped/installed/etc. the plugins onto your hard drive, open the folder that you installed the effects in and look for any files that have the extension ".dll" (some plugins can have several dll files) copy the dll files and navigate to Reaper's main directory (where Reaper was installed). Create a new folder and name it "VST Effects" and paste the dll files into this folder.

I downloaded Voxengo Boogex Amp simulator to my desktop. Opened the zip file and there is the .dll file but.........if I right click on it, I don't get a 'Copy' option so I don't know how to copy/paste it into the folder I made for third party VST plugins in my Reaper folder in Program Files. I get an 'Extract to specified folder' option in the right click drop down menu in the Boogex zip file but I don't know what this does.

Also, I could just drag the .dll file across to the Reaper VST folder but that isn't what you say I should do, and then the zip file would only be half a zip file.......and..... have I 'unzipped' the zip file just by opening it, or do you have to 'extract ' something as well as just opening the file? .:dunno:

OldG    3

I choose to use the same vst folder for all the music apps to use...

Create a folder for your plugins (I chose C:Program FilesVstplugins).

To add your zipped vst - open the zip file with a double click, then drag and drop into your folder.:winkthumb:

To show Reaper where your plugins are , go to: options > preferences > vst and type in your chosen folder path in the box as shown in the attached screenie. That should get it sorted :)

6910.attach

Tekker    1
I get an 'Extract to specified folder' option in the right click drop down menu in the Boogex zip file but I don't know what this does.

"Extracting" means that you copy the file(s) out of the zip file and place it on your hard drive in a specific folder. Then once the .dll file is extracted you can copy and paste it into the folder you want.

Also, you can use any folder for your VST folder, you can use Reaper's existing VST folder, or as OldG mentioned use one on the C drive. You just have to choose that folder in Reaper's VST Preferences. The folder method I mentioned is just the method I prefer to use.

-tkr

carol m    64

:guitardude: I have done it! I get a fancy screen with lights, knobs and sliders (I think). Now I have to work out what to do with them all.

I can honestly say I would not have been able to do it without your lessons, Tekker, and helpful answers from you and Old G - but boy, that made my head hurt working all that out - now it feels kind of cart-wheely (my head that is) - any other sort of cart-wheels would end up :wheelchai not to mention :eek:

OldG    3
:guitardude: I have done it! I get a fancy screen with lights, knobs and sliders (I think). Now I have to work out what to do with them all.

:

Try the presets,Carol - should find something to start with and then tweak from there... if you get lost then just click the preset again and start again. (see screenie)

The fun really starts if you add a compressor, chorus reverb, delay or whatever until you find your own unique tone. :yes:

6911.attach

carol m    64

That's the one, old G, so many possibilities.... does this mean I don't have to practice guitar any more? :laughingg:

What I like is the magic moment when a) you see the thing you were trying to install is actually there, and then B) you click a button and......hey presto.....there it is! it's magic!

ddubia    0

I realize this is an old, old thread but the topic is just what I need.

My question is: Is the .dll file the only file I need to add to my VST folder? Or should I put in everything from the zipped file?

thanks for understanding this noob of a question.

ddubia    0

Sorry everyone to waste your time by reviving this old thread.

I've found the answer to my question and am busy installing plugins right now.

Thank you for your willingness to help someone so new to this.

Tekker    1

For probably 99.99% of the time just copying the DLL is all you need to do. It depends on the plugin, but I've had a few where just copying the DLL wasn't enough and I either had to install it (with a .exe file) or copy everything into the VST folder.

So I would start with just the DLL file and if it doesn't work, then try copying everything.

-tkr