Tekker

Random Chord Progression Generator (Java Applet)

No, not soup yet? Further investigation, to be continued.

Was that on your windows computer? If so, what browser?

-tkr

Works on windows for me but the Mac is no go, just get a red X whatever java is running. Incidently about 20% of the time when I use firefox it crashes, well not crash but it closes down firefox.

Besides all that a great tool indeed, very much apriciated!

My teacher said that Java 6 is not out on Macs yet. So that would explain the Mac problem.

I can download v5 of the JDK (Java Development Kit) and recompile the applet so it'll be compatible with Macs.

Incidently about 20% of the time when I use firefox it crashes, well not crash but it closes down firefox.

That's weird, I've never had it crash here. :dunno:

My java is enabled and I have version 6, what now?

And it still doesn't work? What browser are you using?

-tkr

My teacher said that Java 6 is not out on Macs yet. So that would explain the Mac problem.

I can download v5 of the JDK (Java Development Kit) and recompile the applet so it'll be compatible with Macs.

That's weird, I've never had it crash here. :dunno:

And it still doesn't work? What browser are you using?

-tkr

Firefox

hb

I downloaded and installed the older JDK, but there doesn't seem to be a way to choose which version I use to compile. There are a lot of options but I don't see anything about v5.0_15.

I recompiled anyways, so see if it's working now. If not, I may have to wait until Monday and ask my teacher how to use v5 for compiling.

-tkr

...The main inspiration for it was THIS thread, but I think I need to put it in terms of actual chords to make it a little more beginner friendly...

I can see why. And it's a fun tool the way it is. Maybe you want to keep it as simple as it is, but you could always make the user select the desired key, and then it spits out not only the roman numerals but the actual chord names below that or something. Maybe the user would start to see the chord scale connection :dunno:

Maybe you want to keep it as simple as it is, but you could always make the user select the desired key, and then it spits out not only the roman numerals but the actual chord names below that or something.

That's a great idea! I was thinking about displaying one or the other, but both is even better. :winkthumb:

-tkr

That's a great idea! I was thinking about displaying one or the other, but both is even better. :winkthumb:

-tkr

That's why I get paid the big bucks around here!!

Thanks lizdarocker, glad you liked it.

In my Java class I did a lab today on outputting MIDI, so eventually I'll be able to add that code to the chord progression generator so you can hear the progression. That's going to be fun. :D

I also borrowed a book from my teacher that he said has a good section on GUI design, so I'll start playing with that as well.

-tkr

I've been searching for one of these everywhere!! Major thanks!

A few kind suggestions:

1. Maybe modify how many chords the CPG (chord progression generator of course) spits out, like if you only want it to generate 3 or 4

2. The ability for the CPG to generate II III VI chords (Like if it's in the key of C let it be able to generate D E A chords) and of course the ability for it to turn off that ability

3. I'm not sure how this would work but would there be any way for the CPG to generate chords (say it set in the key of C) such as these: B C# D# F# G# A# and the ability to switch that off of course too

4. The ability to set which chords can be generated (like if you only want major chords to be generated or only certain minor chords)

Just a few ideas worth considering :) (If I seem confusing with my wording please let me know)

Hi XVII, welcome to the forum.

1. Maybe modify how many chords the CPG (chord progression generator of course) spits out, like if you only want it to generate 3 or 4

This one's high on the priority list.

2. The ability for the CPG to generate II III VI chords (Like if it's in the key of C let it be able to generate D E A chords) and of course the ability for it to turn off that ability

Just to make sure, you mean the "major" chords II, III, and VI correct? Because it does do the minor chords ii, iii, and vi.

3. I'm not sure how this would work but would there be any way for the CPG to generate chords (say it set in the key of C) such as these: B C# D# F# G# A# and the ability to switch that off of course too

I'll add this to the "to do" list.... Although when you start adding in random chords outside of the key it will likely not sound all that good. And adding extensions would also be more difficult, because the chords in the key have set rules for adding extensions (such as whether the 7th is major or minor). So the extensions would also have to be chosen at random for these out of key chords.

I could have buttons for adding true randomness in stages:

"SCALE": would choose any chord from the scale at random (not using the harmonic conjugation theory that it currently uses).

"CHROMATIC": would choose ANY chord at random.

Once I am finished with everything else (the user interface and other features I still need to add), I'll try to start working on adding "true" randomness to the progressions.

4. The ability to set which chords can be generated (like if you only want major chords to be generated or only certain minor chords)

Would this be like choosing which chords from the scale you wanted or would it be more general such as choosing any chord and choosing if it was major or minor?

-tkr

2. Yeah if you wanted to do the major II III VI chords (e.g. key of C, being able to do chords A D E)

3. A simple chord progression like Am F C F Ab Bb C would sound good, and having the ability to say add those two Ab and Bb chords would make it sound quite well IMO

4. Say we have the key of C, but I don't want to use an Em chord. It would be set to only use say these chords: C Dm F G Am. Or if you wanted it to only use the 3 major chords C F G, or just the Am for the minor chord (choosing for it to not use Dm or Em)

Did that help any?

3. A simple chord progression like Am F C F Ab Bb C would sound good, and having the ability to say add those two Ab and Bb chords would make it sound quite well IMO

Yes a coherent progression like that works very well because the chords outside of the key work well together and bring it back into key by walking up to the C chord. But with the CPG the chords are added at random, and the odds of getting a progression like that will be highly unlikely. If the option to use outside chords is added then it will be picking any of the 12 possible chords at random, not to mention the outside chords could be either major or minor, which would also be chosen at random. So by doing this all rules are off and there's no longer much structure to the song.

That's not to say good results couldn't be possible, but with this option they won't happen as often I don't think. You may end up having to take the part of the progression that sounds good and combine it with another progression.

4. Say we have the key of C, but I don't want to use an Em chord. It would be set to only use say these chords: C Dm F G Am. Or if you wanted it to only use the 3 major chords C F G, or just the Am for the minor chord (choosing for it to not use Dm or Em)

Ok. I could include buttons that would enable or disable each chord in the key: I ii iii IV V vi vii

Which ever buttons were disabled those chords would be removed from the progression.

-tkr

You're welcome!

When I first started this I just thought it would be a fun little project to try out some of the stuff I've learned in my Java class.... Well, so much for it being a "little" project. :D

-tkr

Tekker,

Sometimes it can be hard in the trenches. I am still dying to make this work for me. I will someday. One thing I found, when I looked at Solidwalnuts chord chart with the numerals and names together, I began to understand and had a clearer picture of the music building also.

Thanks for all your efforts on this. I'm sure that goes for everyone.

Tekker,

Sometimes it can be hard in the trenches. I am still dying to make this work for me.

Hey Eddie,

Are you talking about getting the java applet to work or understanding the theory?

-tkr