Tekker

Random Chord Progression Generator (Java Applet)

That was fun! I just typed a couple of interesting results out in Word to save them - not a problem, although it would be nice to have the suggestions you are hoping to add. I think that the being able to choose to start on I would be a good feature, with or without ending on I.

It's a great feature to have only the progressions that fit into your Harmonic Conjugations lesson. I have had a go a couple of times before in working out a few to try from that lesson...now this will do it for me. Thanks. It worked perfectly too.

Have you worked out how many possibilities there are without the extended chords???

(Obviously I haven't, and wouldn't know where to start as I totally failed to understand the 'Probabilities' lessons at school, even if I could remember that far back.) :winkthumb:

I think that the being able to choose to start on I would be a good feature, with or without ending on I.

OK, I think I will make this my first addition. This I think is actually the easiest one.

Have you worked out how many possibilities there are without the extended chords???

LOL No, I hadn't even thought about doing that until you mentioned it.

But lets see, there are seven possibilities to choose for the first chord (so that's one chord down). Then for the last seven chords there are only three possibilities for the chord movement so that would be 3^7 = 2187. This is how many combinations there would be if "I" was always the starting chord. So now we have to take into account the original seven starting possibilities, which would be 7 * 2187 for a grand total of 15,309 possible combinations.... I'm sure there's a hit song in there somewhere! :thumbup:

-tkr

There you go! I knew you could do it. :claping: Maybe now you can take all the no 1 hits from the last 30 years, put all there first (say) 4 chords into a computer thingy, and work out 'the most likely to be a hit' progression, or maybe the top 3 most likely.

That reminds me, I heard a program years ago where someone had done something similar and worked out that the opening melody line of many pieces of music (all genres) frequently had the same first 3 or 4 notes (with slightly different emphasis or rhythm), and.......it was the same as many bird songs! I think he had started with a study of bird song, which were often surprisingly similar, and then looked for similarities in human music........if only I could remember what the magic notes were......it was more or less a 'rising' melody line of some sort.

Maybe now you can take all the no 1 hits from the last 30 years, put all there first (say) 4 chords into a computer thingy, and work out 'the most likely to be a hit' progression, or maybe the top 3 most likely.

That's a little advanced for me right now, but maybe after I finish programming II. ;):D

-tkr

Tekker - bravo! Or should I say bravissimo!? :claping:

Anyway, whichever it is - great little applet. Just one request for v1.2 and that is an "exclude pesky diminished chords" option :leadguitar:

Anyway, whichever it is - great little applet. Just one request for v1.2 and that is an "exclude pesky diminished chords" option :leadguitar:

Ah, thanks for reminding me.... That was one I forgot to put down on my future feature list. I'll go put that in now.

My idea was to replace the diminished chord with a V7 chord (since they have the same function). So if you want, you can do that manually until I get it put in.

-tkr

Well done Tekker I had to do a refresher on Roman Numerals which got me up to speed, it's a very user friendly program, thanks for working on this and good to see it up and runing:claping: :winkthumb:

Dear TSI (Tekker Software, Inc). I have just upgraded to the RCP Generator v1.02 and felt compelled to write in and thank you for a much-improved product! At last - a software company that listens and responds. Looking forward to your legendary Technical Support for many years to come. :winkthumb: Thank you!

Satisfied Customer, Qld, Australia.

PS - great price, too!

Dear Satisfied Customer,

We at TSI would like to thank you for your kind letter. Customer satisfaction is our highest priority and all customer feedback is greatly appreciated.

- PS. The current price is an introductory price, depending on the demand for our product we estimate that the price could triple what it currently is. So be sure to take advantage of the current price while it lasts.

TSI Presedent,

Tekker

depending on the demand for our product we estimate that the price could triple what it currently is. So be sure to take advantage of the current price while it lasts.

TSI Presedent,

Tekker

Dear Pres. Tekker, please let me know if you intend to start an affiliate program for this product and if so, what percentage of the sale price will you be offering? Also - would this be a good time to discuss the possibility of volume discounts?

Thanks

Dear Satisfied Customer,

TSI will be releasing other models of the CPG (chord progression generator) product line. The RCPG (random cord progression generator) model will be the high end and full featured version.

The lower end models will include the CPG-145 model which will always generate the I IV V progression. This will be priced at 5% of the full RCPG model. And finally the CPG-12BB which will always generate the 12 bar blues progression. 12% of the RCPG model.

We will be offering bulk discounts which will save you up to 50% off the original price.

TSI Presedent,

Tekker

PS - Version 1.03 has just been released. :D

Instead of adding "end on I", I changed it to "end on start" so that it always ends on whatever chord it started with. It will generate as many chords as it needs until it gets back to the starting chord. I had one that went the entire length of the top row of buttons (with no extended chords). LOL

-tkr

Tekker,

I am dying to try this, but still have had no success in getting it to run from the start up.:crying2:

Probably don't understand the Java setup.

Tekker,

I am dying to try this, but still have had no success in getting it to run from the start up.:crying2:

Probably don't understand the Java setup.

same for me,

hb

Nice, Tekker..I can see it helping out with songwriting when creativity takes a break!

Yeah, that's part of the idea. I've already spawned 2 song ideas from it. :) I love it because it gives you ideas you probably would have never thought of putting together and can help you get out of a "rut" of playing similar sounding songs.

The main inspiration for it was THIS thread, but I think I need to put it in terms of actual chords to make it a little more beginner friendly.

Eddie, hb, krissovo, do you guys have Java enabled in your browsers? In Firefox it's under Tools --> Options --> Content tab and it has a check box to "Enable Java".

-tkr

Tekker,

Yes my Java is enabled and updated. I could try this on one of my PC

instead of the Mac. I am using safari browser.

Is v6 the version you have of Java? It wouldn't work on my teacher's computer in his office because he didn't have v6 installed. I think he had v5.

If so, then yeah, try it on a PC and see if that works.

-tkr