Tekker

NEW LESSON: Software Recording and Reaper

I just posted a new recording tutorial in my lessons forum.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/19897-computer-recording-software-getting-started/

The first part covers a very general procedure to start recording. No matter what recording software you want to use, they should all use a similar approach.

The second part demonstrates the same procedure using Reaper.

Enjoy! :smilinguitar:

-tkr

Thanks for all your hard work Tekker. This I'm sure will be of great help to many members. We'll be sure to mention it in the next newsletter we send out.

Thanks again

Clancy

You're welcome! Thanks for checking it out. :)

Clancy, I'll try to have a couple more for your newsletter. :winkthumb: I have one that's almost finished on removing noise from recordings and I'm also working on a Java applet that generates random chord progressions.

-tkr

Tekker!

Well done!:claping: I haven't had a chance to study it yet, but I skimed thru it and it is very informative. You are probably going to get me to switch to Reaper yet:) I will really look at it tonight. Thanks for all the effort you put into it

Bob

The lessons look great Tekker! I don't know why, but Reaper has always looked scary (complicated) to me :confused: I'm sure your lessons will change that.

Great work.

Nutty

The lessons look great Tekker! I don't know why, but Reaper has always looked scary (complicated) to me :confused: I'm sure your lessons will change that.

That's exactly why I made the lesson. I figured a lot of people were probably a little intimidated by how complex it looked. But really the basic aspects of getting tracks recorded very similar same no matter what program you use. It's just a matter of learning the layout of the program and once you know that then it becomes much easier. That's also why I'm going to add another one for Kristal Audio and maybe Audacity, to show how the same basic approach is applied in different programs.

"I'm also working on a Java applet that generates random chord progressions."

Something like this?

koZong // Official Product Homepage

That's the idea, but mine is a little different. First of all, my interface isn't nearly that nice (I'm just learning Java). Mine displays the progression in roman numerals (I IV V, etc) and then you can choose a key and apply it. I would like to get to the point of choosing a key and it gives you actual chords, but for now I'll stick with the numbers because it's simpler. ;) Mine also uses music theory to always create "good" sounding progressions instead of randomly putting chords from a key together. And mine also has options for extended chords (7th, 9th, sus2, sus4, and 6th). These extensions are randomly added, but the base triads the extensions are built off of are derived from theory.

-tkr

Tekker,

Very nice job on all of this. Truly most helpful. Especially with the reaper recording software. Hopefully you will cover a number of things with VST usage.

eddie

Hopefully you will cover a number of things with VST usage.

Hi Eddie,

I can certainly give it a go. Are you talking aobut using VST's within Reaper or the best usage of individual VSTs?

If you were talking about using Reaper's VST's, I don't have much experience with Reaper's VST's. Reaper is not my main recording program, I use Magix Samplitude so I use a lot of Samplitude's plugins. I have 3rd party VST's that I really like and I also have several free VST's that I use on a regular basis.

I do have a tutorial that talks kind of vaguely about effects and VST usage and demonstrating some of the freebie plugins.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/9137-guitar-multi-effects-processors-vst-plugins/

So let me know what you're interested in and I'll see what I can do. :)

-tkr

Tekker,

Actually using VST plugins within reaper. All in good time I suppose.

Thanks for the link to the other. I need to take a long look at that.

But thanks for all you have done with the software info.

Actually using VST plugins within reaper.

So basically loading VST's and arranging them within Reaper?

If so, maybe I could start compiling a list of things to add into a more advanced Reaper tutorial, such as VST's (loading and arranging), maybe cover some basic editing, and anything else everyone would like to see added.... I'm definitely open to suggestions here. :yes:

-tkr

In case there are other members as dumb as me, I'll tell you that you don't have to reach for the specs or the magnifying glass in Tekker's lesson to read the screen-shots :blush: just left click on the image, then again to get an even bigger view.

And, I think,(please correct me if I'm wrong Tekker) when Tekker refers to 'your soundcard' early in the lesson he is referring to the computer's built in soundcard that came built into your computer, but in the next section where he explains using an audio/extra type 'soundcard', he is referring to either a separately bought and installed 'better' soundcard, or a separate 'unit'/'soundcard' which could be a USB or Firewire plug-in Audio PI Interface type 'soundcard' ('Soundcard' and 'PCI Interfaces' are used pretty much interchangeably but mean more or less the same thing) like MAudio, Tascam etc.

These units bi-pass the computer's original soundcard and give much better sound and no interference. even when using a microphone.

I followed all his steps, and the wiki tutorials, concentrated, and it all worked brilliantly.:claping:

Now to import the VST simulated amp Boogex plugin! Or maybe I'll just play around a bit with Reaper next, and see what it can do.

And, I think,(please correct me if I'm wrong Tekker) when Tekker refers to 'your soundcard' early in the lesson he is referring to the computer's built in soundcard that came built into your computer

Unless I used the term "Standard PC sound card" I probably wasn't referring specifically to that kind. I did refer to it when I mentioned that a standard PC sound card can be used for multi-track recording, but I think that was the only time.

Most of the info in the lesson could be done with either a standard PC sound card or an audio interface (Firewire, USB, or PCI) with multiple inputs. The only thing that can't be done with a standard sound card is recording more than two tracks at once.

I followed all his steps, and the wiki tutorials, concentrated, and it all worked brilliantly.:claping:

Woohoo! Congrats!! :yeahhh::claping:

-tkr

I couldn't have done it without you, Tekker. I've spent the afternoon trying to work out the nobs and lever do on my Strat copy......:dunno:

and, while I think about it, how do I get to hear through Reaper and interface Soundcard what the guitar is doing as I play/record . At the moment I'm recording and then hearing what it sounded like by playing it back through earphones. Maybe you have explained this somewhere in your lessons, I'll look there later. Thanks for helping.

On the track you want to record on - right click the arm record button and select monitor input ( it will monitor the sound processed with Vst's if you are using any too)

I couldn't have done it without you, Tekker. I've spent the afternoon trying to work out the nobs and lever do on my Strat copy......:dunno:

The lever switches pickup configurations.

The knob marked volume adjusts the gain (volume) of the guitar.

The other two are tone knobs which work for different pickup selections, turning them down will reduce the amount of high frequencies. I don't have a strat, so I don't know the exact pickup that each of the tone knobs work for, but try turning both knobs for the different pickup switch settings and it should be easy enough to figure out.

how do I get to hear through Reaper and interface Soundcard what the guitar is doing as I play/record . At the moment I'm recording and then hearing what it sounded like by playing it back through earphones. Maybe you have explained this somewhere in your lessons, I'll look there later.

Yes, I did in the other Reaper tutorial. Here is the part you want:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/13970-reaper-tutorial/#post134994

-tkr

The knob marked volume adjusts the gain (volume) of the guitar.

I worked that one out pretty quickly - it has 'Volume' written on it. :)
The other two are tone knobs which work for different pickup selections' date=' turning them down will reduce the amount of high frequencies.[/quote'] thanks, now that I have real time without recording :smilinguitar: I'll be able to figure it out better.
Yes' date=' I did in the other Reaper tutorial. Here is the part you want:

[url']http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/13970-reaper-tutorial/#post134994[/url]

-tkr

yes thanks, I knew I had read it somewhere. It's cool! Now I just have to learn how to play the guitar....or sing.........:laughingg: