carol m

Free Amp Simulators

carol m    64

I've been reading through Tekkers "The Freebie List" and trying to decide which guitar amp simulator to try out first. So my question is to Tekker and anyone else: if you had to choose just one, which would it be? Tekker lists quite a few, and lists 2 (Voxengo's) as 'incredible'.

Too many choices is a nice problem to have, but I'd like to have the 'best' for me (of course!). I want one that is good for a clean sound, good tone, and minimal use of distortion. I would be using it in Audacity (for now, Tekker :winkthumb:)

'Effects' I would add from other sources. Thanks if anyone can help. :)

Tekker    1

Of the freebies, I like the Voxengo the best for clean and light distortion. They all kind of sound the same for heavy distortion (which is not very good). ;)

The Voxengo is just a guitar amp sim and doesn't have any other effects built into it (like freeamp does), but I think Voxengo sounds a lot better. Then you can use other effects (such as Kjaerhus Audio) to add delay, chorus, reverb, ect. after the Voxengo plugin.

I would be using it in Audacity (for now, Tekker :winkthumb:)

You won't be able to use it in real time in Audacity. In other words, you'll have to record your guitar dry with no effects and then add the amp sim afterwards during mixing. In Reaper you can listen to your effects while you are playing (and recording).

-tkr

carol m    64

I'm wavering Tekker, but will I flip???? Aaaah :weirdeyes::helpsmili

PS, thanks. You list 2 Voxengo plugins: The Boogex and the Tube amp. Do you have views on which is best?

Tekker    1
I'm wavering Tekker, but will I flip???? Aaaah :weirdeyes::helpsmili

Do it! :D

PS, thanks. You list 2 Voxengo plugins: The Boogex and the Tube amp. Do you have views on which is best?

That's right... I like Boogex. Tube amp is an older plugin and not nearly as good IMO.

-tkr

Tekker    1
I'm wavering Tekker, but will I flip???? Aaaah :weirdeyes::helpsmili ?

....And if that doesn't cause you to flip, lets try this.... I've tried a lot of recording software (everything I can legally get my hands one). Software ranging from "free" all the way up to costing $2,500. This list includes Samplitude, Pro Tools (LE and Free), SAWStudio, Cakewalk (both Sonar and Pro Audio), Acid, Wavelab, SoundForge, Vegas Audio, Cool Edit Pro (which is now called Adobe Audition since Adobe bought it), Traction, Kristal Audio, Audacity, N-Track, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. lol

Out of all of those, money not being a factor, my preference list is as follows.

1) Samplitude

2) Reaper

Seriously. I would use Reaper at $40 over all the other applications I've used, other then Samplitude, including SAWStudio (which costs $2,500) even if they all cost the same price.

Have I tipped the scale yet? ;)

-tkr

Tekker    1
If I do switch, you will get a whole new bunch of stupid questions...did you think of that? ;)

Actually, I've got another Reaper tutorial in the works (it's been in the percolating for a little while) that will go through the entire recording process. Creating a new project, naming tracks, and recording.

I was going to do one for a few different applications (Reaper, Kristal Audio, and Audacity), but I think I'll just cut it down to Reaper and Kristal.

I will get back to work on it after my finals this week and after I get my new computer setup. So hopefully that will be a good starting point.

-tkr

carol m    64

Right now I'm still trying to crack a C chord cleanly (as a lefty) and my left nails are too long to go back to righty now. Anyway, I know lefty is the sensible way (for me to go, now).

Then there is my new electric adventure, my new amp adventure, other fx's, drum loops, a keyboard in the closet etc etc Oh yes and a few bills to pay. But I'm definitely wavering since the electric guitar needs an amp, and I can see that real time is a 'must' for that........:thumbup:

carol m    64

I will get back to work on it after my finals this week and after I get my new computer setup.

-tkr

Finals are scarey, alright. It's not long ago, I couldn't understand why anyone would find a new computer (or setup) as anything more than a :yawn::sleep1: but since then, I've seen the light! May the Force be with you, Tekker.:)

papadog65    0
..... I've tried a lot of recording software (everything I can legally get my hands on)…

-tkr

Just curious; how about software that runs on Apple Mac? I've noodled around a bit with Audacity, but don't see much that will run on my old version of OS X 10.3.9.

Tekker    1
Then there is my new electric adventure, my new amp adventure, other fx's, drum loops, a keyboard in the closet etc etc Oh yes and a few bills to pay.

Actually, Reaper will help with all of that.... well except for the bills. :D

Electric: VST guitar amp simulators and effects (as mentioned above). When used in real time it is just like plugging into an effects pedal. What's really nice about using the computer is you are all setup to record so when you play something you really like and don't want to forget it later, all you have to do is press the record button.

Drum loops: If you import a loop as an audio file (instead of MIDI), Reaper can create loops by simply dragging the right (or left) edge to expand the length of the audio clip. In this way you can for example, take a 4 measure loop and stretch it out over an entire song.

Keyboard: VSTi's in Reaper. Again, these can be played in real time.

Finals are scarey, alright. It's not long ago, I couldn't understand why anyone would find a new computer (or setup) as anything more than a :yawn::sleep1: but since then, I've seen the light! May the Force be with you, Tekker.:)

Actually my finals this time around shouldn't be too bad. I switched majors this term from physics to computer science. After physics everything else is super EASY by comparison! :D

I am going to have 3 finals on the same day, back to back to back (1:00pm-3:00pm, 3:30pm-5:30pm, and then I have to drive about 40 minutes to the other campus just in time for 6:30pm-8:30pm), so that isn't going to be very much fun.

-tkr

Tekker    1
Just curious; how about software that runs on Apple Mac? I've noodled around a bit with Audacity, but don't see much that will run on my old version of OS X 10.3.9.

I think there is a Mac version of Reaper, but it's not nearly as developed as the Windows version from what I heard.

I have never used a Mac, so I'm not the best judge for Mac software. All I know is what I've read on other recording forums.

-tkr

OldG    3

I'd like to add a link to Jucy77 at this point... best freeware high gain sim I've come across yet.:winkthumb:

Until Tekker produces his new tutorials (thanks to him for his efforts),Video's like this one from gearwire should get you started.

Step by step fom the start.

1) download and open reaper,

2) go to options>preferences and set to suit your interface/soundcard,

3) go to file and choose new project,

4) go to track> insert new track,

then take the video instructions from there.... there should be a clean recording for you by the end of it.:)

carol m    64

Thanks Tekker and Old G. Update on our replacement router/network thingy.......the Miss Tekky Two Shoes curse seems to be affecting the whole house. The router guy came tonight with new toys (whirling blue lights no less) but when it was all hooked up...........zilch. :devil2:

He's going away and thinking about it (and testing the router somewhere else to exclude the router being faulty). I tried to explain that it was the MTTS curse, but he just laughed - the fool - he has a lot to learn. :laughingg:

So for now the old router still lives - intermittently. On reflection, I blame the cat.

Stratrat    0

I've heard that Apple's GarageBand (which apparently is included with their OS) is a very good program for recording. If it came with your version of the Mac OS, it sounds like it would definitely be worth checking out. I've only messed with it for about 10 minutes on a friend's laptop, but it looks like a pretty powerful program.