starsailor

Something new for me a Balalaika

Hi Just got this, a Roumanian Hora Alto Balalaika, I was going to get a Ukelele but took a shine to this, they're quite well made, here are the specs.

* Top: Spruce

* Back: Maple

* Sides: Maple

* Neck: Maple/beech

* Fingerboard: Acacia or mahogany

* Scale: 510 mm

Now I need some tunes and some more info on tuning, has anyone got one of these or have any info.

Dang Chris, That's one serious guitarlin :)

Or what ever you call it.

You got me now Chris!I knew that ther was a balalaika(only from the lyrics of the song Wind OF Change),but I never knew how it looks like!Well,it looks great!Congratulations on your aquisition,although I am too late(I noticed that the post is from March).I ma curious though how it sounds and if it has any similarity to a guitar...Have fun playing your new instrument...

All the best,

Theo

Thanks for having a look Derekslide, It's only tiny but it has a great sound, I've posted a couple of tunes in Members recordings and there's one of it on a version of a cool song Carol M wrote called Time that's over in collaborations if you want to hear it being played, it's good fun to play still got to strum faster though so I can do some traditional tunes that's taking time to learn.

All The Best

Chris

You got me now Chris!I knew that ther was a balalaika(only from the lyrics of the song Wind OF Change),but I never knew how it looks like!Well,it looks great!Congratulations on your aquisition,although I am too late(I noticed that the post is from March).I ma curious though how it sounds and if it has any similarity to a guitar...Have fun playing your new instrument...

All the best,

Theo

Hi Theo, This one comes from Romania is that where you're studying, you might be able to pick one up over there if you fancy having a go, I've put 3 recordings on 2 in Members and one in collaborations if you want to have a listen:winkthumb:

Wow!This is from Romania?I should definitely look around for one and see how it sounds!I will make sure to take a listen to what you did with the instrument...Thank you for the update...

All the best,

Theo

Wow!This is from Romania?I should definitely look around for one and see how it sounds!I will make sure to take a listen to what you did with the instrument...Thank you for the update...

All the best,

Theo

They're popular with the Native Gypsies in Romania I think and very popular in Russia, they're quite light too so good to travel with but the body is more delicate than a guitar so it's played up the neck rather than over the soundhole, makes a big sound for something so small:winkthumb:

Hello Chris...

Then I guess it is very similar to a Mpaglamas...

There are various categories of Gypsies here in Romania.The kind that asks for money at schools and restaurants,the kind that deal with commerce and two kinds that deal with music.The best kind is the one that has to do with Gypsie music,like the original Gypsies(if I can put it this way) from Spain play.The other one,makes cheap music here that goes by the name of "Manele".It is music about love,but really cheap.The songs that they wite often copy Greek,Arabic or Serbian songs and just change the lyrics...

All the best,

Theo