ThunderForge

Need a new amp!

OK, I am frustrated as all heck. My amp sounds like arse at any volume above 3 or 4. I've tried everything and it boils down to cheap speakers in a cheap particle board 2x12 cab (Ibanez TBX150R). I never had this problem with my line6. I only got rid of it because I wanted an amp with no built in effects or modeling. I like to use pedals. So here's the question. I want the best possible 2x12 combo or half stack for $1000k or less. I just want to have good tone and be able to keep up with a drummer and the rest of the band. Any help would be awesome! :crying2:

BTW: I play mostly metal with very heavy distortion. So I only really care about the quality of the clean channel. :)

OK, I am frustrated as all heck. My amp sounds like arse at any volume above 3 or 4. I've tried everything and it boils down to cheap speakers in a cheap particle board 2x12 cab (Ibanez TBX150R). I never had this problem with my line6. I only got rid of it because I wanted an amp with no built in effects or modeling. I like to use pedals. So here's the question. I want the best possible 2x12 combo or half stack for $1000k or less. I just want to have good tone and be able to keep up with a drummer and the rest of the band. Any help would be awesome! :crying2:

BTW: I play mostly metal with very heavy distortion. So I only really care about the quality of the clean channel. :)

ThunderForge

Don't know if you are into Vox, but they put out a Valvetronix one

It's a AD50VT-XL it come with 2x12" VOX Oringinal Speakers, here in Japan they retail for ¥63000 which is about $630 bucks. You might check it out and see if you like it. They seem to be popular with the younger generation here, I think the price has to do a lot with it. Of course you probably could take the speakers out and put in some Vintage 30 12's Celestions and I'm sure you'll be :rockon: any way good luck with your find:smilinguitar:

If you want "clean" and "loud", find yourself a used Fender Twin Reverb. You won't find a cleaner amp, and it's loud enough to peel paint off the walls. :isaynothing: The biggest rap on the Twin is that if you're trying to get natural tube saturation/breakup without using pedals, you'll have to use a volume level that will rearrange chromosomes in anything smaller than a full-on arena.

Another option might be something like the Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 or 5:50, or the Mesa Stiletto Ace. They seem to be popular with hard-rockers / metal'ers, and you probably wouldn't even need pedals to play that kind of stuff.

Thanks for trying, but that amp has modeling and built in effects. I don't want any of that. Just a good ole clean amp.

ThunderForge If possible let me know what you do come up with. It seems these days all amps come with all sorts of goodies. I'm looking for a new amp but just a practice amp and I found the Fender Frontman 25R to be of interest to me and also the speaker

does worry me some in that one too.

Windsong - as a practice amp, I think the Vox Valvetronix ADxxVT series and the Roland Cube series are hard to beat. Sure they have modeling and fx, but that doesn't mean you have to use them.....and both have a good base tone to work with.

If you want something ultra-simple with no fx, modeling or fancy stuff, look at the Epiphone Valve Jr. No modeling, no fx, just one knob - volume. That's it. Doesn't get much simpler than that!

Windsong - as a practice amp, I think the Vox Valvetronix ADxxVT series and the Roland Cube series are hard to beat. Sure they have modeling and fx, but that doesn't mean you have to use them.....and both have a good base tone to work with.

If you want something ultra-simple with no fx, modeling or fancy stuff, look at the Epiphone Valve Jr. No modeling, no fx, just one knob - volume. That's it. Doesn't get much simpler than that!

Thanks stratrat

I found the fender frontman 25R in the music store for ¥23000 ($230) and I thought it was a pretty good deal. I have a Marshall Lead 20, but it's needs to be junked, I wanted to keep the G12 Vintage 30 speaker thats in it and try to see if it would fit in that amp. I made a post about it earlier on a thread. Dont know if its works out, do you?:dunno:

Nice find, Fly...hadn't seen that one yet. A 120-watt 2x12 - eek! :isaynothing:
Yeah, that should keep him from getting lost in the mix!

Yeah, that should keep him from getting lost in the mix!

I should certainly hope so....if not, one would be in for some serious and permanent hearing damage! A 120-watt tube amp pushing 2x12's definitely falls in the category of "heavy artillery".

Windsong - I can't say for sure since I'm not familiar with either of those amps - but generally speaking, if the Frontman's cabinet houses a 12" speaker, you should be able to swap them out as long as the ohm ratings are the same.

I think Fly found the buy of the year....cant beat that for price and power!

I was thinking more of a Fender reissue Bassman or

65 deluxe reverb for a little less volume and lots of "Tone"

deluxe_reverb_blonde.jpg

BassmanFt.jpg

Good suggestions there too, SlickCat. I've never played a Bassman, but I own a Deluxe Reverb (reissue, not the original). Very nice cleans, although you start to get just a little breakup/"hair" at around 5 or 6 on the dial - but that's already pretty loud!

The Deluxe Reverb was my #1 amp until it was knocked off the throne rudely and permanently by my Dr. Z.

You've got to be kidding me. A Deluxe Reverb or Bassman for under $1K? Over here they're more than $3K:

Arties Music - retailler of electric, bass, acoustic, classical guitars, drums, keyboards, brass and woodwind, stringed instruments, recording equipment and more!

I had to let a Tonemaster combo go (ie not buy it) from ebay for $1300 the other day, and that broke my heart.

To the OP, Roland reckon their JC-120 (which is solid state) is designed to give the ultimate clean signal and is specifically designed for taking pedals. ie that is what it's purpose is. Unsure on price in US though.

You've got to be kidding me. A Deluxe Reverb or Bassman for under $1K? Over here they're more than $3K:

Arties Music - retailler of electric, bass, acoustic, classical guitars, drums, keyboards, brass and woodwind, stringed instruments, recording equipment and more!.....

Holy Moley :isaynothing: ...I paid US$849 for my Deluxe Reverb (brand-new) about a year ago!

Now I understand why I see Aussies on the Dr. Z board buying his amps - assuming the $USD / $AUD exchange rate is favorable right now (which it appears to be), you can buy almost any of Dr. Z's amps (all hand-built and much higher quality than any current mass-produced amp) for less than the cost of a Deluxe Reverb over there! (Don't know how much $$$ comes into the picture for duties/taxes, though).

To the OP, Roland reckon their JC-120 (which is solid state) is designed to give the ultimate clean signal and is specifically designed for taking pedals. ie that is what it's purpose is. Unsure on price in US though.

The JC-120 runs around US$900. There are a lot of great tube amps that can be had for that price over here.

2 words for you friend,

VOX AC15

Check one out - see for yourself. You won't believe your ears.

Way too small. I'm trying to keep up with a band in practice and live situations. Thx though.

Sure about that (AC15 too small)? Don't let the 15watts fool you - these units can be VERY loud - easily loud enough for any practice session and most gigs. If you're playing in a large venue, then you'll mic your amps to the house PA anyway. I wouldn't pass it over until you've had a look - you'll be surprised.

Thanks for the link Fly! I had been considering a Bugera, but was unsure of the quality. :D

A little reading turned up the fact that Bugera is manufactured by Behringer.....FWIW. Everybody has their own opinions about Behringer's stuff, so I'll just leave it at that.

I agree with what Stormcrow said about the AC-15, though.....don't underestimate a good 15-20 watt tube amp until you've tried it. You may be surprised.

If you really want/need monster loudness, I'll point right back at the Fender Twin Reverb again. More volume on tap than most people will ever need.

Yeah Behringer make really cheap stompboxes...or as my wife calls them "affordable for everybody." And they have been known to flirt with patent law. However, I picked up a magazine recently about audio technology and apparently when it comes to very expensive professional studio gear, they have the goods bigtime. ie they're not really a bargain basement company.

I feel a need to defend Behringer because to be honest, after I paid $300 for a Boss pedal, I was a bit disappointed that it was actually made in Taiwan. It's a bit misleading to me to have a website BOSS U.S. (ie USA), which gives an impression of American, and therefore more expensive gear. I say good on Behringer for making more affordable gear for amateur players who don't need die-cast metal casings for the world-tour of their bedroom, and who are basically honest (eg green casing, called "tube overdrive", hmm. $280 in metal casing vs $50 in plastic).

BTW, does an AC15 sound much different than an AC30?

If you really want/need monster loudness, I'll point right back at the Fender Twin Reverb again. More volume on tap than most people will ever need.

The twin goes for like $1300+ though. :(

If you look around you can pick up a used one in the $700-$800 range. When I returned my first Deluxe Reverb to GC (reverb didn't work), they had a used Twin sitting on the floor in very good condition for $700. I briefly debated exchanging my Deluxe and buying the Twin, but I knew it was WAY more amp than I needed - both in wattage/volume and size/weight. Somebody got a good deal on that amp.