Kirk Lorange

My new guitar

Kirk Lorange    128

I decided yesterday to do what I've been meaning to do for a long time now: buy a new steel string acoustic with a good pickup system. My old Gibson is as sweet as a peach, but I don't want to injure her in any way by installing pickups ... so I went down to the local shop, tried out about 6 different models of Maton, Australia's best known factory guitars, and finally settled on the base model, the EM225C. I found it more responsive and livelier than the more expensive models. I really do like to feel the guitar vibrate against my chest when I play, and I often find that the glossier the finish, the less those vibrations come thorugh, the more remote the instrument feels. I spent a good hour trying them all and kept coming back to this one. I'm very pleased with it I must say ... unfortunately the joy :D :D of buying a new guitar was offset by the disappearance of our cat Buster, who never came home Sunday evening .... :( :( :( our fingers are crossed, but we have grave fears for his well being.

772.attach

mcknett    1

Congratulations! Um...tell me...how does it smell? (I'd like to think I'm not the only one who loves the smell of the guitar...realizing, of course, that this comment is subject to censorship)

Garry    0

Looks like a fine instrument ya settled on there Kirk. I'm sure it's found a good home to boot.

Really sorry to hear about Buster's disappearance, I strongly wish for his safe return, I mean that sincerely, pets are a part of the family. May sound kinda cold but I have more respect, love , and concern for pets than I do for most humans.

Back to the guitar...CONGRATULATIONS~~~enjoy and hey man sometimes cats will be cats, mighta hooked up with a new bud or something like that..I'm hoping for the best.

Garry

Kirk Lorange    128
When I put my little one (7) to bed, we added you and Buster to our prayer list.

Thanks so much, mcknett ... everyone :(

The new guitar smells like Vancouver ... a faint, fresh pine smell.

Jean    0

Kirk, she's a beauty!-I don't want to know how much she cost though...;)

:(And I'm sorry to hear about Buster the cat, hope that he shows up.

CanuckTodd    0

Looks like a beauty Kirk. I look forward to hearing it and seeing it in action over on the PT forum. I'm a big Neil Young fan, so if you are struggling to come up with a new lesson topic.... !

Yup, bought your book tonight, so I hope to be admitted over there soon.

Hope Buster shows up.

joehere1    0

hey Kirk really sorry to hear your cat went missing, but i know from experience if at all able they will find there way home so good luck ok.

We lost one a while ago and now is not the time to get into it but i wish you luck, they can be really awsome friends thats for sure :)

and nice strings you picked up looking forward to hearing something soon and i'm in agreement with todd so when you get a chance would be great to hear somthing from ya:thumbup1:

joe

Clancy    36
When I put my little one (7) to bed, we added you and Buster to our prayer list.

That's very sweet of you Scott... and thanks to everyone else too for your best wishes for Buster. :(

Clancy

nocat    0

Sorry about Buster... I have 2 of my own, and I know I would be going nuts if one of them

was missing... Hope he turns up ok...!!!

nagukush    0

Hi Captain

The Guitar sure looks beautiful ! I'm so happy for you:) .

Dont worry about Buster, he'll be fine for sure, and will be back soon. I'll pray for him today. Please dont worry too much and common smile now:)

Lots of Care and Regds

Kush

Nice axe there! I've yet to get my hands on a Maton but I've heard a bad word about one. Is the finish lacquer or polyurethane? I take it the guitar has a matte finish as opposed to a glossy one?

Here's some kitty mojo too. Our cat is an indoor/outdoor and I know, one day, she won't be back. She's just not happy if we try to keep her in though.

coldethyl    0

Hi Kirk

Very sorry to hear about your cat Buster. All being well, you'll have him back real soon!

If I may, I'd like to tell you a story of a little kitten we had when we lived in the country. His name was Bunty and he was a very jovial, and playful little thing. Quiet mischievious!

Anyway, every morning we'd walk down our long hallway towards the kitchen for breakfast and there would be Bunty about half way up our fly screen front door, just hangin' there as if he hadn't a care in the world.

So one day my dad wanted to take Bunty to his place of employment because in their lunch room they had a mice problem,and he felt that Bunty would be the cure!

Where my dad worked was approximately seven miles from where we lived and when dad took Bunty in the car we sadly thought that it would be the last we would see of the little fella.

About a week later, early in the morning when I got up for school, I headed down towards the kitchen to get my breaky, and who should I see hangin' on the fly screen door but Bunty. He had only walked the seven miles back to our place. To this day I just don't know how he did it.

Needless to say, we kept him home with us after that!

BTW, congratulations on your beautiful guitar purchase Kirk. I can just about hear the tone just by looking at it. Maton certainly produce great acoustic guitars.:thumbup1:

Neil:)

chammon    0

Lovely guitar Kirk. But don't compose a dirge for Buster on it just yet. He may show up any day now, and with a silly grin on his face. The felines are amazing creatures. As has been said of them, " People don't own cats. Cats own people.", and, "Just think. If cats could talk---they wouldn't."

Gene

wierdsley    0

Hey Kirk...hope that Buster shows up safe and sound. I had a cat called Buster and he was one of a kind, I can appreciate your concern.

Nice looking guitar you just picked up. Best of luck with it.

wierdsley

very nice guitar and smells like vancouver makes me want to order one from australia.

Does australia have alot of guitar players? Are the guitars hand m,ade? I am sad to say I dont know much of Australia besisides crocodiles and kangaroos. lol just joking you guys are cool.

Kirk Lorange    128

Hi Canuck-Playa.

Matons are the only factory made guitars (that I know of) in Australia. They're extremely well finished and I've never played a dud. Tommy Emmanuel uses them, and so do most of Australia's top players. There are many of them ...

Kirk Lorange    128
Nice axe there! I've yet to get my hands on a Maton but I've heard a bad word about one. Is the finish lacquer or polyurethane? I take it the guitar has a matte finish as opposed to a glossy one?

Here's some kitty mojo too. Our cat is an indoor/outdoor and I know, one day, she won't be back. She's just not happy if we try to keep her in though.

Just reading the little book that came with it ...

It's a satin finish, they use Nitro Cellulose comprising 20% gloss ... if that means anything to you.

They have an AP5 Pickup System, uses 2 AA batteries, externally mounted.

nowhere-man    0

One of my daughter's cats just took off one day a couple of years ago. We searched everywhere, but no luck. About two weeks later he just walked in, cool as you like, jumped up on my lap and fell asleep as if nothing had happened.

He hadn't lost any weight, so somebody must have been feeding him until he decided to come home again. I sincerely hope the same thing happens with Buster, but sooner than two weeks. Think lucky and keep hoping.

Best wishes, Geoff

mcknett    1
Just reading the little book that came with it ...

It's a satin finish, they use Nitro Cellulose comprising 20% gloss ... if that means anything to you.

My Martin has a satin finish...I like it more and more every day (which may also have something to do with the improvement in the sounds coming out of it...thanks to you guys!)

And I do really like the smell