Garry

Audacity Recording - Backing Track from the Forum

I was able to get a backing track to play in Audacity.

Issue now is, how can I lay down a track over it?

I tried the solo button, then I can play and record it , but I can't hear what I'm playing to.I need to know how to PLAY the backing track...or Hear the backing track, so I can record along with it.

Thanks again guys..sorry to be a nuisance, but this whole recording thing is new to me and it seems to be alot of fun. Beautiful backing tracks around the site I'm finding:thumbup1:

PS...I'm just working with a PC mic, no fancy line ins outs etc.

Hi Garry,

I'll move this thread into the music software forum. I don't know much about Audacity, but there are plenty of members here that do. I'll also merge your two threads about Audacity to keep it all in the same place.

Clancy

Thanks Clancy...I'm just kinda bummin', this is all new to me. Seems everytime I make it over one hurdle, I slam into another...gets a little frustrating after awhile.

Garry

Hey Garry,

Any luck with your audacity questions? I just started playing around with this software on the weekend.

I was also wondering if it was possible to listen and record at the same time using audacity. So, is it possible to do the recording version of walking and chewing gum?

No replies yet Canuck..tried opening the backing track in another player..played that while creating a new track in Audacity...sounds like crap. There's gotta be a way...I'm gonna keep playing with it.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=recording&i=multi-track

Hey Garry,

Might have an answer for us..

Found this tonight..

This is called multi-track recording. It makes it possible to record harmonies with yourself, or add new instruments or vocals to an existing recording. To do this in Audacity, follow these instructions:

Import or record the first track.

Open the “Audio I/O” section of the Audacity preferences, and check the box labeled Play other tracks while recording new one.

Close the preferences and press the Record button.

Just threw one out there Canuck..the track that worked, thanks to you.

It's in the Am Blues Backtracking posted by Kirk...Lots of cool stuff happening there.:thumbup1: