X4StringDrive

The egg or the chicken?

Not sure what would make for a good test of quality in a interface{sure ain't my playing...lol} but here's a little sample..Cheap yamaha acoustic via Audio Technica DR-140mic, and a biab bt I'm working on. No noise removal, no filters, nothing! Man what a difference. Now to figure out Midi.

[ATTACH]6809[/ATTACH]

Very nice Kenny. I could hear some interference/distortion on the instrumental section early on (mainly first beat of the bars). I don't know if that's what clipping sounds like (as I don't have the visual window on Audacity to show me).

Nice tune and playing up front (no I'm not kidding :winkthumb: )

Mozzies go zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz around your head - you can swot them or spray them, or you can let them live and then you get mozzie bites (of course). In some places you can get malaria......they don't like places that don't get above 65 deg F so I don't know if Detroit ever get any :whistling ...........aka mosquitos. :winkthumb:

Sounds great to me also. :clap:

The acoustic is only working on the left speaker though, did you record on a stereo channel or pan the guitar after recording? The backing track works in both speakers.

Not sure what would make for a good test of quality in a interface

The recording of your acoustic is a good test for the interface. The backing track doesn't actually go through the interface at all, so that would sound the same on both sound cards.

To hear the improvement, you could do two recordings, one with the old sound card and one with your new interface. Try to mimic as best you can how and what you play and also the distance from the mic, as all of these will affect the sound to some level.

-tkr

Thanks Tekker, recorded in mono{wasn't sure if stereo would be a good representation}

I'll take your word on the testing{had a wee bit of trouble getting set-up and hate to do myself in again if you know what I mean}

I never knew that BT's don't go thru the interface...Hmmm I learn something new everytime you come on here........Thanks

To be honest I'm not sure what type of channel I used, there's a whole lot of new terminology with this to me...here's a peek at the control panel, I selected mono over the other choices under input{stereo, direct, Quad and 6 types of surround sound}..

[ATTACH]6819[/ATTACH]

I never knew that BT's don't go thru the interface...Hmmm I learn something new everytime you come on here........Thanks

The interface is only used when sound enters or leaves your computer. If you mixdown within the software, the interface is not used as it is all done within the software. So on your end you hear the digital to analog conversion in your interface (to go from your computer to your speakers) but when I listen to your mp3 on my end I only hear my interface (digital to analog conversion) going from the my computer to the my speakers.

Mono is what you want to record on, so I don't know why it only appears in one speaker. It seems like the guitar is being recorded in "mono" but onto a stereo track, so only one of the stereo channels (the left side) is being recorded to while the other (right) side has nothing. I have no idea how to fix it though, because I don't know anything about that program. Sorry. :(

-tkr

Thanks Tekker for the lesson, I thought it was all done within the interface.:beer:

I found the reason behind only one half of the channel recording, it was due to an improper device selection within Adobe Audition's input. Just got to love these learning curves! :brickwall::)