X4StringDrive

The egg or the chicken?

Which would make a better first choice {since funding has been tight somewhat}....more RAM or a better interface? I understand thats two different ends of the rainbow, but doesn't it make more sense to improve the processing before investing in an interface? I will end up with both, just not sure of the order I should go....Thanks for your thoughts

Chicken.... Er... I mean, interface. :D

It's best to get the recording right from the recording phase and better interface will go a long way.

-tkr

Thanks Tekker, could you expand with your reasonings, I would appreciate your insight.

I just edited in another line.... Do you still want more?........ ;)

If so, what's your current interface and your current amount of RAM?

-tkr

No thats fine, Thanks

I'm using a cheap Soundblaster card and 512Mb/2.8 Ghz,

Just wasn't sure if the newer higher quality interfaces would require more power to show their colors.

No thats fine, Thanks

I'm using a cheap Soundblaster card and 512Mb/2.8 Ghz,

Just wasn't sure if the newer higher quality interfaces would require more power to show their colors.

I don't think so, at least I haven't seen any noticeable difference.

Soundblaster = New interface 110%! :winkthumb:

More RAM will be useful during mixing when adding multiple realtime effects (EQ, reverb, chorus, etc.) these will use up RAM and processing resources (some plugins use a lot more resources than others). But the good thing about mixing on computers is if your computer starts getting overloaded you can mixdown individual tracks without deleting your original tracks to free up computer resources. Although it is nice to have the resources to keep from having to constantly mixdown and switch tracks, but at least its a workaround that will get you unstuck when your computer gets overloaded.

-tkr

Once again I owe you...sincere thanks for your time!

You've peaked my interest in midi recently...do most of the interfaces nowadays have midi capablities? Any recommendations in say... the $200- 300 range?

You've peaked my interest in midi recently...do most of the interfaces nowadays have midi capablities? Any recommendations in say... the $200- 300 range?

The MIDI keyboard I have is USB, it doesn't use the standard MIDI interface. I just plug it straight into the USB port and it automatically shows up in my recording program as a MIDI recording device. It's super easy.

My keyboard is the 88 key M-audio Keystation 88es ($200) and they also have the 61 key Keystation 61es for $150.

If you don't want a new keyboard, then something like the M-Audio USB Midisport UNO ($40) will convert MIDI to USB, so you can use an existing MIDI keyboard via USB.

For a recording interface, the M-Audio Delta44 ($150) is a great interface. There are other interfaces with MIDI, but the Delta44 is probably THE most popular M-audio interface, but it unfortunately doesn't have MIDI.

Are you going to be using a mic (for vocals or miking guitar, etc.)? If so, the Delta44 doesn't have mic preamps built in so something like an Art Tube MP ($30) would be necessary to be able to use the mic.

-tkr

This is great Tekker, Thanks...:yes:

I'm happy with my keyboard so the Midisport UNO looks just like what the doctor ordered. The M-Audio card looks great as well, I run everything thru my dual amp PA/Mixer so the pre-amp is covered. Geez at this rate Maybe I can go ahead and grab these and some Ram and still stay with-in the budget, and maybe...just maybe have enough left to pick up our tab for drink or two of thanks :winkthumb:

You're welcome! :)

Also, when you buy RAM, Corsair is THE brand to get. They have a lifetime warrantee, so you get free replacement if something goes wrong with it (which I did once and they replaced it very quickly).

-tkr

I would also recommend Kingston memory for the budget minded. Same guarantee. Their web site will state that you will have to pay shipping but it appears this has changed.

I went to the site, entered my info, got an RMA a few days later. You print the form and bring the package to Fedex with the form, they scan it and your done. Week later I had new RAM. :yeahhh:

Wayne

I agree with getting the interface sorted first - I just upgraded to an ex demo Tascam fw-1804 from the local big music store.

It has great preamps and no noticeable latency ( even with 8 tracks recording together). I'm using Reaper as my DAW now and the combination gives me everything I need and more.

As for RAM, grab 2 gig off t'bay (RAM is unbelievably cheap atm) - and enjoy recording with several monitored instances of Amplitube/ guitar rig/ freeamp 3.5 etc :)

Thanks again Tekker and to you Wayne for the RAM tips, I'll look into both!

Just reading some reveiws on the Midisport link, just my luck they seem to have quite a few negative remarks about working with Yamaha keys{which of course I have} driver problems, latency etc...so I will look to an alternative there as well.

This site makes me smile...thanks for sharing guys!.........Kenny

Edit..Thanks OldG, appreciate it.

Kenny, I don't have the knowledge that Tekker and the other guys do, but the Toneport KB37 has all the recording inputs you need, and a 37 note midi keyboard, and retails at around $300. You also get Gearbox, which has a gazillion guitar sounds, bass and vocal presets too.

Just my two centsworth

:cowboy:

Ian

Uhg, just went out today and picked up the Alesis I/O 26 Firewire interface, and wouldn't you know it my firewire card has to be upgraded to 1394a, I have just 1394{no "a"}, oh well have to wait till tomorrow now. I chose this one for the multiple in & outs{8 analog inputs 8 line level outs 18 digital inputs, midi ready, high definition, dual headphone outs,etc etc...:) I've had good luck with my alesis SR16 drum machine{dropping it, beating the %!@# out of it, and it just smiles waiting for more}. And I could only add another 512 of Ram, my machine is almost as old as me{lol} Best Buy had a sale on the Kingston so thats what I went with. Yeah, I went a tad over my budget, but I shouldn't have any regrets later on{I hope} as to not having enough ins or outs, at my age it's a hassle crawling around hooking this or that up all the time....I'll let you all know what I think of it in a month or so.:winkthumb:

Anyways just wanted to say thanks again for pointing me in the right direction guys, I appreciate it....well maybe not "too" much until after the learning curve {LOL}

Are you saying you bought more RAM? How is that installed? Do you just screw it into a spare slot at the back, or is it more complicated than that and would need to be installed professionally?

Yes Carol, I bought more, only screws were on the case it self{thumb screws}, inside where they go {in a slot} there are snap type retainers , just release them by pressing away from the card to remove and insert new card and snap in place...easy, but I'm not sure if they're all like that. I have a HP Pavilion a647c desktop.

So did you take out the old Ram and replace it with a bigger one, or add the new one on the the system you already have?

added to what I had, my system specs showed 1 gig max and I didn't need to run a matched set, so this was the cheaper way, although whee-bay would of been cheaper, I took into account Tekker & Teddy's remarks about replacement/warranty.

Your welcome Carol :winkthumb:

Well guess I didn't need a new firewire card after all, since nobody locally had one {thank god} I decided to uninstall and start over, I found an update to the card I have and all is well.

Tekker, I have to shout a huge thankyou out to you again, your recommendation to get away from this cheap soundblaster card I was using, has caused me to be unable to quit smiling tonight. Man the difference in the quality of anything I put thru this new interface is as awesome as Kirks slide playing :winkthumb: I know I didn't get the one you recommended {I did and do appreciate your taking the time} but it was like going looking at guitars....this time the pretty, fancy one with all the bells and whistles caught me in its trap, I hope I don't live to regret not heeding your choice, but so far so good...I mean SO GOOD what a difference....Thanks for being here TKR... your a Godsend of information and knowledge......Kenny

THANKYOU

Tekker, I have to shout a huge thankyou out to you again, your recommendation to get away from this cheap soundblaster card I was using, has caused me to be unable to quit smiling tonight. Man the difference in the quality of anything I put thru this new interface is as awesome as Kirks slide playing :winkthumb:

WOW, it sounds that good huh? How much did you say that unit was???? :D

I know I didn't get the one you recommended {I did and do appreciate your taking the time} but it was like going looking at guitars....this time the pretty, fancy one with all the bells and whistles caught me in its trap, I hope I don't live to regret not heeding your choice, but so far so good...I mean SO GOOD what a difference....

I had never heard of that Alesis unit, but after some searching it gets very good reviews. It looks like a very impressive unit (you can NEVER have too many channels :thumbup:), I'm interested in hearing it in action. The M-Audio stuff is what I generally recommend because that's what I see get recommended the most in this price range on the recording forums I frequent, but they're certainly not the only good ones out there. Based on the reviews I've seen thus far, I don't think you'll regret it at all.

-tkr

WOW, it sounds that good huh? How much did you say that unit was???? :D

-tkr

Well compared to how I described it.....priceless :winkthumb:

But upon going to their site for updates and what-nots, I found out they're offering a $40.oo rebate{downloadable pdf coupon} from purchases made from Mar1 - may31{08} which is cool, I got the saleskid at GC to knock off $50.oo so all in all reasonable IMO.

I had every intension of staying with M-Audio, I had picked out the 4-10 firewire but upon opening{which I always insist upon nowadays} we found out that their last one on hand was missing the driver cd and the firewire itself. Since I had such good luck with the drum machine and the fact he came down in price, really made my mind up{the channels were the icing}

As soon as I can come to grips with all of it, I'll post something, hope it makes me sound better as it has with samples I've been running thru it :winkthumb: