stlguitar

$400 - Need Guitar + Amp Setup

stlguitar    0

So I've read all the "starter kits stink" posts but I am going to walk the fringe. I just ordered Learn and Master Guitar by Steve Krenz and now I need some hardware. Since I spent $200 on the dvd's, I need to say at $400 for Guitar + Amp + Cord + Strap. Given this constraint, what would you buy? Individual Guitar new, amp used? All used? Starter kit? Any advice would be appreciated. If there is a thread that offers this type of advice, please point me to it.

Thanks in advance

Mike

bubbafat    0

I just picked up a used (barely) Jimmie Vaughn Signature Strat + Roland 15W Cube for 400 cash out the door at a local "small" dealer.

I also bought a (Fender) Squire Strat with the same 15W cube for $280 out the door at Guitar Center.

Always negotiate. Even Guitar Center negotiates (they took $40 off the squire and threw in a gig bag).

Don't forget about a stand too. $20 can get you a nice stage stand.

My suggestion - to be specific - is to get a used (or a deal on a new) Mexican Strat (make sure it has nice fret ends) - you should be able to get something for under $320 if you are patient (I waited 3 weeks for the Jimmie Vaughan to show up). While you're being patient check out places like Music Go Round for a used amp. You should be able to find something reasonable for under $60. Add in another 40 for extras (picks, strap, stand, extra strings) and you're coming in under 400 with a pretty nice setup.

Good luck!

Andy S    9

I confirmed that at Sam Ash and Guitar Center, they will discount a bit if you pay cash.

I was pricing out a Fender Strat about a month ago at GC and asked how much, the guy told me what was on the tag. After a bit of conversation, he dropped it a whopping $25!!! Big whoop.

Then I asked if I was paying cash, not a check, cold hard U.S. greenbacks, what would it be. He went to the computer, keyed in a few strokes, came back with it $85 cheaper. This was repeated almost exactly the same at Sam Ash, but a bit less of a discount.

That way there is no bank charges on a credit card or trying to process a check. So whatever you get, where ever you go, try to deal in cash.

Never did buy the guitar. But in the future, I'll know to carry the money in with me.

Hope that helps.

D-Dawn    0

Sometimes GC will discount their wall models as well. You know because it has been played with. Just be sure to check it over carefully before buying!

Stratrat    0
...Given this constraint, what would you buy?

I must be starting to sound like a broken record to those who've been here for a while - but my choice for an amp would be the Roland Micro Cube amp ($125).

As far as the guitar goes, it depends on what kind of music you want to play - there are a lot of choices out there. Personally, my choice for a beginner guitar that you could keep around forever would be the Squier Affinity Telecaster - but I play mostly classic rock and country-type stuff, so YMMV.

The reason I like these two choices is that they're both "keepers", even if you stick with it and start upgrading your gear like most do. The Micro Cube is a great travel amp - it's small and portable, can be played anywhere (will run on a set of AA batteries for about 20 hours) and you can also use it as a "front end" for recording (via the headphone/record out), or as a backup amp if you were to ever start gigging - you could plug directly into the board via the rec out jack if needed. The aux in also allows you to plug a CD/mp3/etc. player in to jam along with, and the headphone jack means you can practice in "stealth mode".

The Affinity Tele was the second electric guitar I bought (after my MIM Strat). It plays well, looks good, and was cheap enough that I don't feel bad about using it as my "beater" guitar. I throw it in a gig bag and take it with me when traveling, and don't worry as much about it being damaged or stolen as I would with my more expensive guitars.

The stuff in most "starter packs" will cost as much (or more!) than the above, will be lower-quality and not as versatile, and will end up in the junk closet as soon as you start upgrading. The Micro Cube will always be handy if for no other reason than because it offers portability that other amps don't. Besides, the above choices will leave you with enough change in your pocket to buy a cable, some picks, a couple sets of spare strings and a decent tuner to complete your setup!

knight46    2

I would like to add my endorsement of Stratrat's comments. The Micro Cube is a great amp for the money. Nice tones, portability and price all nice. The Squier Affinity Tele is another great choice, just be sure to visit the store and play a couple. Some are more equal than others.

Stratrat    0
...The Squier Affinity Tele is another great choice, just be sure to visit the store and play a couple. Some are more equal than others.

Good point. It's always best to play as many as you can when deciding which one to buy. I've been lucky with the ones I've bought by mail order, but I know it's a crapshoot every time.

I guess I must sound like a Roland rep sometimes, the way I pimp the Micro Cube. :) It's just one of those things that I consider to be a great investment at a very small price.

stlguitar    0

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. In addition to this, what else would I need. Picks, Strap, and cord? Anything else?

One last thing. Are there any other guitars at this price range with a better color. Sorry, I don't like the fake wood look. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Also, feel free to make fun of me for picking a guitar based on it's color :)

What is the difference between this guitar and the Affinity Series Fat Strat that comes in black?

BTW, I'm a huge Rush fan. I like Rock(classic, alt) and a bit of country as well.

bubbafat    0

Picks ($2)

strap ($10-20)

stand ($20) [if you have a hardcase you don't necessarily need one]

cord ($8)

strings (2 packs - $5 each)

tuner ($10-$20)

Nice to haves are over-the-ear head-phones ($25) and a metronome. ($10-25).

I'd also consider grabbing a copy of a guitar magazine (Vintage Guitar is fun to browse and dream) for inspiration

It adds up but once you've bit the bullet you're setup and it's just the consumables (e.g. strings and picks).

I'd be interested in seeing what others have on their setup list.