carol m

Strats and Teles What's the difference?

I have a tele and I tried a strat,I thought the major difference for me anyways was the tele gave me more of a country sound which I was looking for.

While the Tele does have that "twang" (which I love) and is widely looked upon as a country guitar, it's a lot more versatile than that. Look at all the rockers who have used Teles at one time or another - Jimmy Page (the "Stairway" solo was done on a Tele), Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Strummer (Clash), Tom Petty, Chrissie Hynde, George Harrison, Pete Townshend, Alex Lifeson, Prince....the list goes on and on.

I haven't played a strat ever, but I did try an Epiphone Les Paul at a Guitar Center a few times. Felt waaaay too powerful. Love my tele copy. Nice, simple, clean sound but I can fuzz the bejeezus out of it if I feel like Joe Strummer.

But I'm not at his level of playing yet. :)

Interesting list there Stratrat, but didn't you forget someone? (username starts with S) :winkthumb:

Nah, I'm still GASsing for a real Tele.

Nice, simple, clean sound but I can fuzz the bejeezus out of it if I feel like Joe Strummer.

But I'm not at his level of playing yet. :)

Maybe next week? :)

Skrik: any gas is good.:winkthumb:

tele=single coil

no tremblolo

sound twang

As I alluded to above, I'm willing to bet that Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Keith Richards (Rolling Stones), John 5 (Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie), Andy Summers (Police), Jim Root (Slipknot, Stone Sour), Steve Cropper (Booker T and the MG's), Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders) and countless others would disagree that the Tele's sound is exclusively "twang".

....and there was also that dude named Jimmy Page who played for an obscure little band called Led Zeppelin a long time ago...he used a Tele on their entire first album, and the iconic guitar solo in Stairway to Heaven was done on a Telecaster.

Oh, and the "Deluxe Telecaster" model comes from the factory with two humbucker pickups.

strats usually come with 2 pickups the first one came out with 2 single coils. on the other hand a telecaster usually comes with 3 sinlge coils usually the middle one is tilted, and has a sort of twangy sound to it... now there are fat strats and super strats fat strats are strats with single coils replaced with a humback as to the details to this I'm not quite sure, then there're super strats... idk the difference between the two all i know is that both differ from the normal strat bacuse they have humbacks... mostly lately setups aren't designated as tele or strat unless they mean the original setup, the rest are defined by how the pickups are setup, or the most popular models with that setup...

strats usually come with 2 pickups the first one came out with 2 single coils. on the other hand a telecaster usually comes with 3 sinlge coils usually the middle one is tilted, and has a sort of twangy sound to it
You got that backwards. Teles have 2 SC pups, Strats have 3 SC pups.
... now there are fat strats and super strats fat strats are strats with single coils replaced with a humback as to the details to this I'm not quite sure, then there're super strats... idk the difference between the two all i know is that both differ from the normal strat bacuse they have humbacks...
Actually Fat Strats are Strats that have the bridge pup replaced with a Humbucker. Super Strat is a loosely used term that may refer to a Fender Strat w/ upgraded hardware or guitars that are not really strats at all, but resemble strats. Usually loaded up with HB'rs and FR type trems.
mostly lately setups aren't designated as tele or strat unless they mean the original setup, the rest are defined by how the pickups are setup, or the most popular models with that setup...
Can't really parse this. Teles are designated as Teles and Strats are Strats. No "mostly, lately" about it.

'twanginess' of the tel depends on the bridge and bridge as much as the pickups and wiring, change any of these parameters you change the tonallity of the guitar. Just as important are the hands that drive the instrument. As Strats tend to have slightly larger cavities to Teles (specially those that have universal routes for the pups) due to the routing for the trem they tend to sound different even all the other factors were the same.

As my guitar teacher says he never heard two Teles that sound alike - I think the aesthetics of the look play bigger part in choice then the actual quality of the instrument.

(Notice that people mention the middle pickup on Strat's to me its not usually a fantastic sound unless blended with the bridge or neck)

Hi ya Carol, Welll.... i had always wanted a Strat... as all my guitarist hero's and heroins play them.... soooo i got one... and yeh it took me awhile to work out what worked for what etc... seems i was spending more time trying to get the right sound i wanted than actually playin' :( But i did like having one :) Hmmmm now i have a Tele and....welllll its different ...looks different... less knobs.. same amount of strings ... less pickups.... the reason i picked up the Tele was 'cause the guy in the shop said... ( see i had a choice between a strat and a tele ( tele was a bit more expensive )) if i like to play slide then a Tele is the go... so i went with that :) simple eh... LOL

Anyhoooo i does love the sound and playability of the Tele..slim neck...great for little hands :) .... And guess what ... did you know that you can make a Tele sound like a Strat and visa versa...? Ya can ! :) :) Hey have fun playin'.... cause its not the guitar its the guitarist !:smilinguitar:

...Hmmmm now i have a Tele and....welllll its different ...looks different... less knobs.. same amount of strings ... less pickups....

As Bill Kirchen says about the Telecaster in his song Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods, "It was born at the junction of form and function". :yes:

As my guitar teacher says he never heard two Teles that sound alike - I think the aesthetics of the look play bigger part in choice then the actual quality of the instrument.

(Notice that people mention the middle pickup on Strat's to me its not usually a fantastic sound unless blended with the bridge or neck)

That's quite true. I bought my first Tele thinking I'd be able to get everything from Bruce Sprinsteen to Bill Kirchen. Not so! Thankfully I bought some pickups and got them put in by a Tele lover who worked a bit of his magic as well. I told him I wanted it to sound like Bill Kirchen's. He said that Mr Kirchen uses/use(d) Bardens (a pickup type/brand/guy), but he'd see what he can do. Now it sounds like a Tele should sound to me. I love it! :yes:

By contrast, I'm pretty confident when I pick up a strat, that the neck pickup sound will be familiar. It's like a solid benchmark tone. Doesn't matter if it's a $100 copy or an American Standard, that front pickup always sounds stratty.

I definitely think it's easier to listen to a Strat and know for sure it's a strat (especially the neck pickup). By contrast, you hear country guys and think they're using a Tele, but watch them live and they're playing some modern thing instead. Weird.

Very interesting to check the late works of Leo Fender: G&Ls.

The ASAT has a Telecaster like body.

The Comanche, with Z pickups (a la precision bass) is probably the ultimate Stratocaster. You can even tell it to play the lower 3 strings with one pickup, and the top 3 strings with another one.

G&L has the Tribute series, made in Indonesia, which is generally considered the best relation quality/price there is out there.

Very interesting to check the late works of Leo Fender: G&Ls...

Oh yeahhh. G&L's are great guitars. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a used ASAT at a good price, I'd snap it up right quick.