carol m

Strats and Teles What's the difference?

I don't know much about the different electric guitars, so can someone explain (simply) the basic difference between a strat and a tele? Is it sound, or effects, or something else? I read the Fender entry in Wikipedia a couple of weeks ago and learnt about humbuckers and single coils etc but didn't see a description of the difference between the two types (strats and teles).

Now I see someone has a thread about a Gibson Tele.....isn't Fender the maker of both?:dunno:

Basically a Tele has a fixed bridge, (no vibrato) 2 pickups and a three postion selector switch for them. Simplicity itself. A Strat has, (usually) a vibrato, three pickups and a five position selector switch for them. They are both solid bodies with bolt-on necks. The Tele was based on Leo Fenders original design, the Broadcaster, I think. The Strat came later. Essentially they both do much the same thing and can have any amount of variations or modifications, particularly with different combinations of pups and hard tail vs. vibrato. Some players swear by Tele's and some love Strat's. I've got one of each and love them both. Tele's are usually favoured by Country players for their natural 'twang'. Gibson don't make a Tele, it's uniquely Fender.

Hi 737Blues and Carol just thought I'd put this on it's an original Broadcaster from the 50s in mint condition, the Tele would still be the broadcaster today but Gretsch had a copywrite dispute with Fender as they owned the name Broadkaster which they had for their Drumkits, the Tele was called the no - caster for a while Fenders equivalent of sticking their fingers up at Gretsch hopefully some of them are still around, and finally the Tele, the Broadcaster is one of the Grandads of guitars a revolutionary invention in guitar terms:smilinguitar:

Fender Broadcaster

Thanks 737blues and Starsailor. That gives a really clear explanation. I have bought a strat-style guitar on ebay, so I expect my learning curve to start properly soon. Its been a week and after the initial email from the seller, I haven't heard back. I hope all is well with the deal.

Strats generally have a wider neck... but not much. They are a little more versatile on the sounds, and always seemed to balance better for me than Tele's.

There is a steep learning curve with a tele if you want the twangyness

Lots of multiple bends and stuff. Good staccato picking. Check out some tele playing lessons on Youtube and buy a book on it. It is almost in a class of instrument by itself that way. Smother it in effects if you want the twang to go away.

You get more tonal variations on a strat with the middle pup and 5 way switch. Plus you get a trem on a strat. On the con side some people find strats to be cluttered and controls get in the way of your strumming hand.

Thanks everyone I think I'm glad I bought a strat-style - the name did attract me but only because I saw that people here liked them. Who knows what it will actually sound like.

It's main selling points were it was cheap $60, and lefty, so if its not perfect I won't mind. If its worst feature is the controls getting in the way, I don't think I'll notice with all the other difficulties that will be getting in the way of me playing well!

I'll post a demo of its sound - if I ever get to pick it up.

Carol, I have a Mexican Strat, and although I prefer my Schecter because of the slightly narrower neck, I still enjoy playing the Strat, and I don't have any problems with the controls being in the way. As Fly said, I also like the variation of tone that I can get with the three single coils, and the 5 way switch. I'm sure you'll have a great time with your Strat-style guitar. Hope you get it soon!

Oh, Carol! That Strat'll steal your heart away ......

(and then you'll have to start saving for a real one which will steal your bank balance away too) Enjoy. :)

and then you'll have to start saving for a real one which will steal your bank balance away too Enjoy. :)

yeah, that thought had occured to me too, even as I pressed the 'bid' button! Still haven't heard from the guy even though I sent him another email..:dunno:

Carol, I have a Mexican Strat, and although I prefer my Schecter because of the slightly narrower neck, I still enjoy playing the Strat, and I don't have any problems with the controls being in the way. As Fly said, I also like the variation of tone that I can get with the three single coils, and the 5 way switch. I'm sure you'll have a great time with your Strat-style guitar. Hope you get it soon!

That's good to know pb, because even when I get it, it'll take me a while before my skill level will be such that I get any good idea of what it will do.

Here's my 2c worth..if you use a strat on any of its single coils, it will sound quite different to any of the single coils used on the tele..esp the bridge pickups - much more twang from the tele.. the tele doesn't get a middle pick up so there's a whole different tone straight away, but the clincher is the "out of phase" sounds on the strat when you combine the bridge and middle together or the middle and neck together..you'll recognise it as soon as you hear it..think Mark Knopfler or some of Stevie Ray Vaughan tunes (eg Lenny).. Sweet Home Alabama intro riff is Strat on bridge and middle pickups..

A cheap copy may not have the same quality of sounds but you still should get a fair idea..

Have owned both Strats and Teles in the past and think of them as very different guitars to each other, both tonally and mechanically (vibrato bar, playing comfort etc)..can't wait to buy another example of each one day as I miss the old axes but for the moment I'm in humbucker heaven with some other guitars..

Cheers

Rich K

When I went into the music store in Sept 07, it was my intention to purchase a Fender telly. But I picked up a Strat that was hanging next to it and I changed my mind in two seconds. The Strat seemed to play much easier and just felt better overall. I love the sounds that come out of both the Telly and the Strat. I'm a Fender freak now and I don't leave the house without my Fender wrist bands.

madshadow

Great news felllow twangers! I picked up the strat copy today. Now I have to work out what the knobs do. :winkthumb:

Hey that's great Carol, hope you have lots of fun with it.:smilinguitar:

Great news felllow twangers! I picked up the strat copy today. Now I have to work out what the knobs do. :winkthumb:

Uh, Carol, they make the sound change! LOL

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! LOL

Congrats on getting your prize!

I have a tele and I tried a strat,I thought the major difference for me anyways was the tele gave me more of a country sound which I was looking for.

Strats and teles ,like mash and chips different but the same. some like one some like both ,different texture but still potatoes !!!

I am a fender kind of a guy so I like both .

I was thinking strat,tele, les paul and maybe gibson 335 have been going since the 50s/60s. They have been cool and very much in use for the whole 50 odd years they have been manufactured.

Ask anyone to draw an electric guitar of any age and they will draw one of these ,probably a tele/strat .

Even today people still pay the most for the original spec.!! Can you think of anything mass produced that has worn that well remained that popular for that long ?? These are desighn classics ,like a spade or a broom difficult to improve on .

Strats and teles ,like mash and chips different but the same. some like one some like both ,different texture but still potatoes !!!

MMmmmm now you're talking in a language I understand (I like both too) :winkthumb:

Uh, Carol, they make the sound change! LOL

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! LOL

Thanks PB, I thought they were to wind the windows down. :winkthumb:

I have a tele and I tried a strat,I thought the major difference for me anyways was the tele gave me more of a country sound which I was looking for.

That's interesting Aunkster, at the moment I'm just making sounds, and not all of them recognisable as anything much, but its all good to know. Thanks.:)