crazyseoulsister

Strap locks on electric acoustics?

I searched on strap locks and couldnt find anything before posting this so here goes...

My new acoustic electric guitar has strap buttons and the electric plugs into the bottom of the guitar. My guitar strap keeps slipping off the bottom peg (for lack of a better term) because it isnt deep enough and I have always caught my guitar- thank God. I would hate to drop it. If I get a strap lock do they come with the plug in?

Sorry if this was already asked and anwered but for the life of me I couldnt find it.

P-90    1

The strap locks that I use would allow for a peg like that, as long as the diameter wasn't too huge. You might want to go to your local guitar store and try a few out, since it's likely to be too fat for some.

knight46    2
I found these Dunlop locks. Looks like they snap right over the strap pins. No permanent work.

SameDayMusic.com: Dunlop 7007SI Ergo Strap Lock

Now, this is for U.S but perhaps you can find an international dealer.

Hope it helps,

I just hit their web page, JimDunlop.com they list for $4.77 U.S.

I use these and they seem to work really well, I found them in the StewMac catalogue.Lokstrap System at Stewart-MacDonald

Tako Kichi    0
I use these and they seem to work really well, I found them in the StewMac catalogue.Lokstrap System at Stewart-MacDonald

I have a set of these for my acoustic/electric bass and I had to make the hole bigger in one to fit the strap button on the bottom of the body as it is the type where the guitar lead plugs into the button. They do work quite well considering they are just plastic.

For my solid bodied bass I use a different type of lock that has a spring loaded plunger that engages into the screw hole on the button.

I don't use a strap on my acoustic guitar as I am always sitting down when I play it.

For what it's worth I have used strap locks for years when standing on stage after my strap came off once and I only just managed to catch my bass before it hit the deck! Better safe than sorry if you are gigging musician! :winkthumb:

I went to Taegu yesterday to find some strap locks. I found out that acoustic electrics plug ins are larger then an ordinary one. None would fit over that. I really dont want to add any hardware to my guitar.

The guy at the store told me to take some thin plastic- like you would find shrinkwrapped on a watch or something else and cut a piece out and put that on the guitar.

I am really frustrated cuz I dont want to drop my guitar. I have caught in in my left hand while standing and DON'T want to drop it!

Woe is me-

Tako Kichi    0

That's what I had to do with my strap locks for my acoustic bass X4StringDrive (although I didn't use the figure 8 leather piece). I sewed my locks onto my leather strap and had to open up the hole to fit over the larger button as shown on your linked page. They work well for what they are.

Speaking of bass days, I still have my strap from my old bass, its a planet waves strap with built in lock, has a pretty good size hole, maybe CSsister can see if any shops in her area carry these for a trial fit.{not cheap tho}

[ATTACH]6735[/ATTACH]

Stratrat    0
...The guy at the store told me to take some thin plastic- like you would find shrinkwrapped on a watch or something else and cut a piece out and put that on the guitar...

Another alternative I've seen mentioned many, many times is to use the rubber washers that come on the top of "Grolsch" beer bottles. Their bottles have a funky cap with big red rubber washers, which a lot of guys say fit strap pins perfectly.

starsailor    20

Hi crazyseoulsister, along the lines of Stratrat's idea another option could be to use neoprene faucet washers, that will go over the button and hold the strap tight, here's the link to the ones you could use.

http://doitbest.com/Faucet+parts-Danco+Perfect+Match-model-61805B-doitbest-sku-485837.dib

And here's the link I got the idea from, it's lesson 5 and tells you how to do it, the idea came from a guitar tech so should be reliable and they only cost a a few dollars, hope this helps:winkthumb:

AdamLevy.com - lessons

Well,

I think I found a solution.

I did try a planet waves strap that has the strap locks on it and there was no way the strap lock was going to fit over my button.

I went to the shoe repair place today and he stitched a piece of leather onto my leather strap sewing the hole that fits over the strap lock smaller. I hope this will work. It seems pretty tight. It only cost 2000 won. Not bad. =) Keeping my fingers crossed here.

DSC01072.JPG

The pic isnt showing so if you want to see what it looks like click on my name and take a look at my blog by clicking on my profile. Sorry I wish it would show here. =)

rdharris55    0

Santa was pretty sweet and brought me a Taylor 810ce this year. I have been fretting over the strap deal since Christmas. I even bought a Taylor strap, hoping for a more secure fit. Not so.

A slightly oversized strap hole combined with a custom plastic snap ring would be great. I have yet to find a real elegant solution but think this may be the best one yet. See the StrapKeeper at TapaString Guitar which uses a leather extension to take care of the oversize hole and combine it with their own snap ring. It should do the job...it's just $10. You'd think Taylor could include something with each guitar.

I would have posted the link, but this site is silly about not being able to post links prior to 5 postings...so google!