Dewy

Parker PM-20 limited

269813.jpg

Wandered into the local music store over a year ago and This Parker was sitting there, owner says he got a good deal on it, and it was a limited "Maple Burl" (the one shown in the pic is quilted Bubinga top).

Later when I had some cash it was on lay-away... so I missed out on it right? 9 months later its back out for sale, guy moved his cash onto another guitar and freed the Parker up... so I left and chewed on it... guitar just sang to me... Ebony fret board... one piece Mahogany neck set into a one piece mahogany body, carved very much like a PRS, for $450!!

Decided to put some cash down on it... and it was gone when I got back to the store the next week. That disappointment only lasted a month and it was back on the floor. This time the owner held it for me, and I just got it home yesterday... trying to get some pictures of it (not the one at musician's friend) and will also post some sound clips as well.

Some links for specifics:

Buy Parker PM-20 Single Cut Electric Guitar online at Musician's Friend

Guitrwiz.com - Parker P-Series PM20QBU PM20 Quilted Bubinga Electric Guitar

Parker PM20 Mappe Burle Top - Limited Edition Guiatar From Parker Guitars

Parker PM20, 2005 Limited Edition, Mappa Burl, BRAND NEW. One of only 100 that Parker made in this stunning Honeyburst carved Mappa Burl. From the Italian Black Poplar, Mappa Burl is usually only found in such prestigious locations as the dashboards of Rolls Royce and Jaguar cars, and in the panelling of private jets, aircraft first class sections and luxury boats. The PM20 features obvious Parker styling, in the first new design since the famous, (but uncomfortable), Fly models. The PM20 is superbly comfortable to play, and its list of features is incredibly impressive.

A solid, one-piece carved mahogany body, with the Mappa Burl cap, the PM20 has a striking string-thru design, magnetic Volume and Tone controls, with push/pull coil-tap available to both pickups! And those pickups are a pair of Ken Parker’s own custom-wound Stinger Alnico humbuckers – one of the best pickups available on a production model guitar. You also get Grover high ratio (18:1) tuners, a polycarbonate nut, and a 25.5” scale maple neck that is not a bolt-on, but a set-neck, topped with a genuine Ebony fretboard! This neck is thin, and it’s blindingly fast.

The combination of innovative Parker design, plus the 2 coil-tap humbuckers allow you to dial in just about any tone you want; Chilli Peppers to Buck Owens, Lee Ritenour to the Stones, Nine Inch Nails to Pink Floyd, this one axe has got 'em all covered. The PM20 isn't just the best value guitar in the entire Parker range, it's one of the most incredible guitars on the planet!

With only 100 of these stunning guitars in existence, to the best of our knowledge, none ever made it into Australia, and there are now none available anywhere in the world. There is a small patch of uneven lacquer on the back of the headstock – the price has been reduced accordingly.

Comes in a deluxe, neck-reinforced, padded Parker gig bag

Apparently there were 3 finishes, and 100 of each. I have one of the 100 natural finishes, and finally some pics.

Stand.jpg

Full.jpg

Front.jpg

Contour.jpg

Back.jpg

You would not believe how comfortable that neck joint is, or how long a note will sustain on the clean channel. I'll work on some sound bytes to demonstrate the guitar's pure clean sound.

Dewey, that is a sweeeet looking guitar! I'll look forward to hearing the audios! I have become a big fan of the string through design since I got my Schecter. I know you'll enjoy playing it - right after you stop staring at it's beauty!

The first pic I posted was before we got the digital camera home from the wife's workplace. Its the current model with a quilted Bubinga wood top, and a beautiful guitar in its own right. I might add its selling @ MF for $599 USD.

Owner of the music store where I bought it informed me of its first lay-away that lasted almost a year before I met the guitar. He thought he would never get rid of it!! After informing him of its "Limited" nature, he offered to buy it back with $100 incentive... but not enough to get the newer Bubinga... so no deal.

I love the natural wood look, and the Ebony fretboard is a dream. While the gig bag that came with it is extraordinary... I think my next purchase will have to be a hardshell case.

Dewy, is the Parker a 24 3/4" scale? I think I counted 22 frets. Is that correct? I see that the general body style of the Parker seems to be a take off from the general LP body style, so I was thinking that it might also have the 24 3/4" scale. Beauty of a guitar, and I am a big fan of the string-through-body design ever since I got my Schecter! The sustain on a string-through-body guitar really is amazing. Bet you hardly put that guitar down!

Bear in mind this is a Parker in name only. The Company was bought by the same folks who own Washburn these days... and the "P-Series" are generally disdained by the owners of the higher end Ken Parker designed "Fly's". They would be offended that we even called this a Parker.

Most of the Parker Guitars are odd shaped with light weight resonate bodies. So this solid mahogany body style is a departure from the majority of their line.

I too have fallen in love with the increased sustain from the String's through the body... and can't believe there's another way to do it after playing one. I've played Floyd Rose, 1 & 2 piece stop tails... even Fender type top mounts & tremelo's... none of them sing like a String through the body design.

The specs list it as a 25.5" scale... longer I believe than the Gibson Les Paul. PM-20 specifications

...and the "P-Series" are generally disdained by the owners of the higher end Ken Parker designed "Fly's". They would be offended that we even called this a Parker...

Hmmmph. There are Tele purists with similar views. They get all huffy-puffy when anything is called a 'Tele' unless it has "Fender" on the headstock and all the traditional Tele appointments (3-saddle bridge, two single-coil pickups, vintage tuners, 7.25" fretboard radius, etc., etc.) - if it don't meet all those conditions, it ain't a Tele to them.

Ignore the "cork-sniffers" and enjoy what you're playing. If it doesn't meet some headstock snob's definition of a particular guitar, too bad. That's a nice-lookin' axe you've got and it sounds great - anything beyond that is pretty much irrelevant. :winkthumb:

To tell you the truth, I think it looks better than the Parker Fly anyways! :yes:

Amen... I would like to try a Fly, but I'm very happy with the tradition represented from this LP single cut-away design, and the mahogany+ebony has been high on the dream list of tone woods I would use in a Dewy Custom.

I think Parker/USM has designed a beautiful guitar, and brought it to market at a GREAT price. I am what I have always called "A Happy Camper".

Plus I hear cork sniffing is the leading cause of death by cork inhalation... so always a good policy to judge something by its merits, not its pedigree.

...Plus I hear cork sniffing is the leading cause of death by cork inhalation... so always a good policy to judge something by its merits, not its pedigree.

I agree 100%. I can't buy into the school of thought that a top o' the line, 100% American-made, vintage-spec guitar through a 100% genuine, vintage tube amp and boutique true-bypass pedals is the *only* acceptable rig for *every* guitarist. There are plenty of people having lots of fun and making good music through far less sophisticated (and far less expensive!) setups than that.

I think many people miss out on a lot of fun and some great deals by being so preoccupied with what label is on the headstock, what country it was manufactured in and what other people may think of their gear. If I ever reach the point of being considered a smokin' guitar player, I'd take great pleasure in walking into a jam/gig with the cheapest beater guitar I could find, a solid-state amp and a board full of stock Boss pedals and watching all the cork-sniffin' gearheads snicker and roll their eyes....until the music starts. :yes: