Fong

My first attempt at a little solo with Chord Tones

You hear them a lot on this site, I know that Kirk is a big fan and I have even heard a few people say they are more important then scales.

I never tried it though, so I thought I would give it a go, see how it came out.

It is short and it is not very good. I know this.

BUT....and this is very important to me.

It don't sound like me soloing. I know that sounds wierd, but what I mean is that I can recognise my soloing a mile away, it has become predictable to me. This wasn't predictable.

Which is great!

I am working on the CAGED system now, so that I can open up more of the fretboard, on this little solo, I had to stick to the basic E Barre chord patterns as they were all I could work out in my head fast enough, since it was a live situation.

Looking forward to getting better at this though.

Thanks Kirk and Co for consistently pushing the idea into my thick bone headed skull.

ps, yeah i should add the attachment for sure.

ChTones1.mp3

Fong,

I thought that sounded pretty good. I think that one of the great things about using Chord Tones is that break with predictability. Congrats on the "Ah-Ha" moment.

Cool, Fong. I think you're seeing (and hearing, of course) that it's melody that quickly emerges when you concentrate on chord tones. Scales have their place, when you want to sound scalar, but if you want to switch to melodic, then chord tones are the easiest way to get there.

Now that you've embarked upon this new way of choosing notes, you're in for a lot of fun. :yes:

Let's be honest, it wasn't very good :P I appreciate the kind comments though. Given a bit of practice I am hoping to get to grips with it.