matt31

Amplitube 2

matt31    0

I am trying out a demo of amplitube 2 and once I got it installed and went to try it out there was just a loud squealing/screeching coming from my PCs speakers. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why I am getting this. Also if there may be some way to fix it. Thanks in advance.

matt31    0

I have it set up using the line in..where I have my amp plugged into the back of my PC at. I adjusted the volume on my recording on line in but the controller doesnt look like the one on the link u posted.

matt31    0

ok..i checked everything and seems to look right...but i still get a horrible screeching when i try to play through amplitube....i also have reaper for recording and everything sounds fine through that program.

Tekker    1
ok..i checked everything and seems to look right...but i still get a horrible screeching when i try to play through amplitube....i also have reaper for recording and everything sounds fine through that program.

Are you using the standalone version of Amplitube or as a plugin in Reaper?

-tkr

Tekker    1

Ok, I've never used the standalone, do you also have the plugin version? If so, try to get that to work in Reaper. You can listen to Amplitube in real time (while you're playing) from within Reaper.

-tkr

matt31    0

ok I downloaded version 2.1. How do I go about getting it to work with reaper. Sorry for all the trouble but real new to the recording/pc stuff. And also thanks for all your help.

Tekker    1

You're welcome! :)

I did a tutorial on Reaper that goes through the various things that need to be setup to use effects inside Reaper. So this should get you going.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/13970-reaper-tutorial/

What's very nice about doing it in Reaper, is you can use other effects in addition to Amplitube (which you can't do with the standalone).

-tkr

matt31    0

ok i found the .dll file called amplitube2 it was in VstPlugIns...But my reaper-->effects folder doesnt have the VST effects folder..but what i did find is a plug ins folder in the main reaper folder that has some .dll files as well as an FX file with more .dll files...Is one of these whaer I would put the amplitube2.dll file and i noticed u mentioned i should rename it right?

Tekker    1
ok i found the .dll file called amplitube2 it was in VstPlugIns...But my reaper-->effects folder doesnt have the VST effects folder.

OK, then that was something I did myself and isn't included with Reaper.

I'll explain it here and update my Reaper tutorial.

In the main Reaper directory, the existing folders called "Plugins" and "Effects" are for Reapers included effects and I like to keep 3rd party VST's separate. So create a new folder in the main directory and name it VST Effects.

Then in Reaper go to the Options menu --> Preferences and select VST under plugins (if you don't see VST, double click plugins to expand it). Now next to VST plug-in paths, click the "Add" button and select your newly created VST Effects directory.

Now close and reopen Reaper and your VST plugins should be ready to go.

-tkr

matt31    0

ok yep that worked thanks a lot man...So to add a specific amplitube effect just tweak my amp/pedals etc and add em to the left? oh yeah I also installed ASIO4all and am going to be using it on reaper. Will work some more on it tomorrow its almost 2 am here. I may need your help some more but will try to remember to check out your great tutorials first lol. Thanks again man.

Tekker    1
So to add a specific amplitube effect just tweak my amp/pedals etc and add em to the left?

Are you talking about the effects within Amplitube or adding the Amplitube plugin in Reaper? I have never used Amplitube 2 (just version 1), so I don't know anything specific about working with Amplitube.

-tkr

matt31    0

The plugin through reaper...When I click the amplitube plugin from VST on reaper it shows my amp graphic on the right and I can change its settings as I add it to reaper fx chain. Think i'm starting to finally figure it out. Thanks to your help of course.:)

Tekker    1
The plugin through reaper...When I click the amplitube plugin from VST on reaper it shows my amp graphic on the right and I can change its settings as I add it to reaper fx chain.

OK, I see what you're saying.

When you open Amplitube it is added in the Reaper FX chain. The place to the left of the Amplitube graphic allows you to change the order of all of your plugins. To do this, click and drag the plugin's name. If you press the add button you can add a different effect (such as another plugin or even another instance of Amplitube). You can also use the left area to remove plugins from the chain (using the remove button), or disable (mute) them by unchecking the box next to the plugin name. Unchecking the box disables that plugin from the chain but allows you to quickly add it back in by checking the box again. The remove plugin removes the name from the list, so if you wanted to use it later you'd have to re-add that plugin to the into the chain.

Hope that helps. :)

-tkr

matt31    0

Yeah that does help thnks...been tinkerin around with it for a while today and figuring a lot of it out so far. The main thing I am havin a little problem with now is the squealing is there when I use amplitube as I play/record but doesn't seem to be if I add it into the playback. :dunno:

Tekker    1
The main thing I am havin a little problem with now is the squealing is there when I use amplitube as I play/record but doesn't seem to be if I add it into the playback. :dunno:

This still sounds like a sound card setup issue. There has to be a feedback loop for the squealing to happen, especially if it isn't there when you add it to the playback.

The feedback loop happens using the "stereo mixer" setting one your sound card (instead of the mic or line in) because it records all sounds going through your sound card (both the input and the output). When you play your guitar it records that sound and when the sound is played through the output of the sound card it records it again. So you have the sound going out and back in again (over and over) which creates the feedback squeal.

So double check the sound card settings and make sure that you were in the recording section of the sound card mixer (not the playback).

The other thing it could be is maybe you're recording the output within Reaper (which would also cause a feedback loop). Right-click on the "R" button and make sure that "Record Input" is checked.

-tkr

matt31    0

Ok I think I got what you're sayin now. In the recording control mixer should i have mute checked on stereo mix? (on my recording mixer I have Recording, Line Volume, Microphone and Stereo mix)

Tekker    1
Ok I think I got what you're sayin now. In the recording control mixer should i have mute checked on stereo mix? (on my recording mixer I have Recording, Line Volume, Microphone and Stereo mix)

If you're seeing "mute", then you're still in the playback section of the mixer. You want to be in the recording section.

In the sound card mixer, go to the Options menu --> Properties then select Adjust Volume for "Recording".

Here box titles will be "select" under each channel. Only one channel can be selected, so check the line input or mic input (depending on which input you are using).

That should (hopefully) fix it! :)

-tkr

matt31    0

Hmm this is strange...I followed the steps again to get to the recording..(The only option that will allow recording to be clicked is linein/mic in in the properties) Then once I go into there it has the controls I listed earlier but no select to check just the mute box to check where the select is shown on your and OldG's tutorials. However I did discover something which is embarassing to say the least..The sounds I was hearing may be due to the amp settings that I was using from AMplitube. Other settings work very well but the original ones seemed very extreme to me. Its great having a forum like this to go to and find the help you need without the chance of just being ridiculed. Thanks.

Your mic is feedbacking. It happens if you try to record a guitar on the line-in and you don't have the mic and stereo-mix muted.

Double click that little speaker icon in your tray

Options

Properties

Mixer Device: Line In/Mic In

Check the mute box for both microphone and stereo mix

Once you're done playing around, go in and unmute them and you will be good.