XBallardite

Electric Guitar in an apartment???

karateQueen    0

If you can play a tune - does it matter who can hear you?

but your bound to get some grumpy person complaining, (probably jealous cos they cant play) better off plugging in headphones or keep the volume to a minimum.

:walkman:

allthumbs    8

I just spent a week in the I.C.U. with my sick wife. I took my electric and played it quietly to while away the hours. I enjoyed it immensely. Didn't bother me a bit not having it plugged in.

Stratrat    0
If you can play a tune - does it matter who can hear you?...

For somebody living in an apartment who has neighbors on sides, top and bottom, it surely matters....especially when the eviction notice is served. If you're a parent and the only playing time you can sneak in is when the kids are asleep, it definitely matters. If you're a kid living at home and your practice space is close to the room where your parents watch television (or sleep), it matters. If you take your guitar along when traveling and want to sneak in a little jam time in the hotel room (most hotels have paper-thin walls), it matters.

There are a lot of circumstances where it matters who can hear you...whether you're a great guitarist or not. Having a headphone amp, or at least an amp that you can play at volumes below normal conversational level, comes in real handy. While some people are fortunate enough to live in a place (or have a practice space) where they can crank up their 100-watt 4x12 half-stack whenever they want to, there are many, many more who don't have that luxury.

I have certain times when I can 'dime' the volume and play as loud as I want to - but there are plenty of other times when I have to keep it quiet. I don't think the neighbors would have the same appreciation as I do for 1:00 a.m. practice sessions, nor would my wife have much appreciation for the great tone of my amp and the nuances of my playing if I was cranking it up while she was watching television in the chair next to me! :isaynothing: Times like that it's either unplugged (as Allthumbs said), or through the headphones or the Micro Cube.

XBallardite    0

Headphones are the way to go -- not iPod headphones because, you're right, they're no good. But a good pair of around-the-ear headphones will kill any outside sound and can be had for about $25. I have a pair of Sonys I picked up off Amazon. The nice thing is, besides keeping the music to myself, the cord is pretty long, so I'm not tied to my amp.

JessThrasher    10

Ipod headphones is all I could wear because I have my upper ear pierced on both sides. So I just have to deal with the outside noise. I just managed to pick up a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter at the source by circuit city. (an electronics store)

I just spent a week in the I.C.U. with my sick wife. I took my electric and played it quietly to while away the hours. I enjoyed it immensely. Didn't bother me a bit not having it plugged in.

Sorry to hear about your wife AT. How is she now.

JessThrasher    10
Stratrat I couldnt agree with you more. We've got to enjoy our guitars and music. But as you say other people have to be taken into consideration. And that matters.:claping::smilinguitar:

Yes I am trying to find a way to respect the parents more.

Stratrat I couldnt agree with you more. We've got to enjoy our guitars and music. But as you say other people have to be taken into consideration. And that matters.:claping::smilinguitar:

Consideration & respect for others is commendable.

Living in a flat (apartment) myself, turning the knob pass 7 will constitute noise pollution. Even in mid-day. And i'm only using a 10-watt practice amp. I have it down to 4-5 so as not to bother the neighbours and wife and kids (LOL).

The downside in using a ear or headphone is that you can't get to enjoy the 'natural' sound of your amp (with sound bouncing off the walls, floor etc.).

Consideration & respect for others is commendable.

Living in a flat (apartment) myself, turning the knob pass 7 will constitute noise pollution. Even in mid-day. And i'm only using a 10-watt practice amp. I have it down to 4-5 so as not to bother the neighbours and wife and kids (LOL).

The downside in using a ear or headphone is that you can't get to enjoy the 'natural' sound of your amp (with sound bouncing off the walls, floor etc.).

Well compromise is always half an up and half a downer.:dunno:

Stratrat    0

My neighbors are very considerate and respectful of my peace, so I owe them the same. My wife doesn't watch tv in bed when I'm trying to sleep. You can't expect to receive respect if you won't give it. If one is of the mind to do whatever they want without taking others into consideration, they shouldn't be surprised when they receive the same treatment in return. If that means I have to sometimes do without the sound of my amp bouncing off the walls and my speakers flapping my pants legs, then so be it.

Actions have consequences, and "payback" can be a real bummer.

PepticDust    0

Sorry for the thread jack. Just figure it's easier to ask my question here than start a new thread.

I'm moving into an apartment in two weeks. Right now I have a 50W tube amp and was wonder if I should invest in a smaller practice amp. My landlord says he prides himself on nice quiet buildings and my amp gets pretty loud even before the 9 o clock point on the volume knob.

Right now I play through a GNX3 workstation straight to headphones. I have a house but I also have a wife who doesn't think hearing the guitar most of the evening is a good thing. (Yeah, we all have our flaws lol).

But anyway, the GNX3 is great, all the effects I could ever need plus 8 track recording :claping:

Probably more cost than the other options but headphones work just fine whatever way you go.

Wayne

XBallardite    0

I have just a little 15W Crate amp, but with the $25 set of headphones I can play to my heart's content and not bother anyone. Headphones seem to be the way to go, IMHO.

Adam

I am still trying to make the Ipod headphones work with the GNX3.

What is it that doesn't work? I never had an Ipod (more of a Creative guy) but I do remember hearing something about the jack being non standard, so is it that they don't fit the jack?

Wayne

No, the jack is standard. I found an adaptor, but the sound quality sucks. I'm just trying to find a way to improve the sound quality using ipod headphones.

Not gonna happen with those. :) You need either the in the ear plug type or something that goes over the ear.

I tried a few Ipod types and none carry the dynamic range that let you feel it.

It's like Floyd on AM. Well, that's not accurate, Floyd would sound good with two cups and a string. But you get my point. :winkthumb:

Wayne