XBallardite

Electric Guitar in an apartment???

XBallardite    0

Hi,

I'm getting a larger-than-expected tax refund this year and have been toying with the idea of getting an electric guitar (I have my eye on an inexpensive Agile telecaster copy). But here's the problem: I live in an older apartment building where the walls aren't soundproof and was wondering if it's a) even worth considering. I already have a nice classical guitar that I practice on; and B) feasible to set up a system where I play through headphones or my laptop or some other ultra-low-output way.

I like the idea of playing with an electric, but I really don't want to bother anyone else.

Ideas? Am I wasting my time? Should I stop being so greedy and be happy with the nice acoustic guitar that I have?

Thanks,

Adam

justinthyme    3

Hi Adam

Some ideas - get a PODXT or similar. That way you will be able to plug in headphones and play in a variety of styles - from heavy distortion, through jazz, blues, surf and clean etc without disturbing the neighbours. (see the Line6 website)

Also, I believe the 'Roland microcube' is a great little amp that will distort at low volumes and by all accounts sounds great for very little money. That way you could hear yourself play without headphones and the neighbours should still be happy!

Now - please send me your accountant's details :) Just kidding.

Cheers.

krissovo    0

+1 to the pod, I have a Pod 2 that I jam with when I have to be quiet. I often plug my computer speakers into it if I dont want to use headphones.

To make life easier I use wireless headphones and that works well for me.

XBallardite    0

Good advice, all. I like the headphones idea.

And I also like how no one suggested (yet), "Are you crazy? Electric guitar in an apartment? Wait until you can play in a soundproof room, far, far away from civilization! Let me warn your neighbors so they can move!"

:yes:

Stratrat    0

I like the Roland Micro Cube better than the various Pods, headphone amps, etc. because you can use headphones and play totally silent when you need to, but you also have a fun little amp for the times when you can actually unplug the headphones and make some noise. It can get surprisingly loud for such a small amp.

Another neat alternative is the Boss Micro BR. It can be used as a headphone amp and has onboard effects, amp/cab simulations, etc., but it's also a very capable little 4-track recorder. It has programmable drum sounds, a phrase trainer which allows you to slow music down to learn licks, etc.

TigerKraw    0

One of the interesting and handy things on the Vox Valvetronix

is the ability to adjust the power output of your amp

30W Models and up, not available on the 15W valvetronics.

so you can push out that tube like sound but without the loud

volume. on top of that, like most practice amps you have the

headphone option as well.

Music Man    0

As much as going with some headphones is a great way to lower your volume, It would be in your best interest to ROCK! Now I know that most places you can be as loud as you want during a certain timeframe, but HERE is a great item that will allow you to play anytime at all! Trust me, it aint worth your time playing if you can feel your music.

XBallardite    0

Well, this has certainly been a useful discussion -- not to mention sealing my decision on whether or not to leap into electric-land. Thanks, everyone! After a lot of looking around, I think I'll go for a regular ol' practice amp that has a headphone jack. That seems to be the best option. I've found a few nice headphones that I like. If anyone's interested I'll post more information about my upcoming purchase when the time comes.

Thanks! :claping:

Adam

Huge    0

I would suggest getting an amp with a volume knob.

Then, turn it down. :winkthumb:

EDIT: Oops, I didn't read all the posts. Congrats, I can't wait to see what you get.

Huge    0
A volume knob ... interesting.

What is this "knob" you speak of? :)

They're these little plastic things on the front of most amps. Often set to "10".

Some people seem unaware that they can be rotated counter-clockwise. :D

D-Dawn    0
They're these little plastic things on the front of most amps. Often set to "10".

Some people seem unaware that they can be rotated counter-clockwise. :D

C'mon...thats an urban myth right!?! Next you'll tell us there's not a Santa Claus or Easter Bunny!!

JessThrasher    10

I am thinking of getting a pocket amp or a 1 watt amp becuz I always have to play unplugged late at night so I don't wake up sleeping mom/sleeping dad. Got afew in mind though.

Marshall MS-2R. I got my daughter one last xmas. Its only about 6 inches high, has a clean and a od setting with a clip you can hook on to your belt if you want to. I use it a lot. Awesome little amp only cost £20.:winkthumb::smilinguitar:

JessThrasher    10

I think its time i show some respect for my parents. Don't want to give them any more reasons to kick me out. I even stopped listening to heavy metal so much. Well I still do, but not like all the time and not so loud.

I think its time i show some respect for my parents. Don't want to give them any more reasons to kick me out. I even stopped listening to heavy metal so much. Well I still do, but not like all the time and not so loud.

Thats nice Jessica. "Respect equals respect" it's the "equals" in the middle that really matters. Good luck.:winkthumb::smilinguitar:

XBallardite    0

Hi Jessica,

I went with the headphones option and it seems to work well- no complaints at all from my roommate, and I tend to play about 1 in the morning after I get home from work. I ended up getting a Crate FW-15 and a nice pair of headphones (which cost under $25). So you still get full sound without bothering anyone.

For the record, here's where I posted pics of the new toy:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/lets-see-your-equipment/19228-now-i-just-have-learn-what-do/