D-Dawn

Blues JR or VOX?

fly135    5

I use a 5 watt epiphone valve jr and 1x12 cab for playback. But I use a tube preamp and distortion pedals to get my crunch. And I like the clean thru the tube preamp better than straight into the amp. The 5 watt Vjr takes pedals very well and doesn't muck up the sound. I can turn as low as I want and still get my tone.

I'm not really thrilled with the crunch of the Vjr cranked with a strat, although my Dot with humbuckers sounded decent. I tried putting an 8 ohm resistor on the Vjr as a load, and then using an Ultra-G DI box to record the sound of the amp cranked. Didn't really care for it that much. I like keeping the Vjr clean. And I highly recommend it for home practice in conjunction with pedals. Better than my Peavey Bandit 112 that I just sold on Craigslist for $125 two days ago.

scott58    0

Thanks for the link Stratrat. Some of the lower watt amps I've been looking at were hovering around $2000. This one sounds really nice (especially demo 11 & 14) and the price is certainly right. Thanks again

Stratrat    0

No prob - Z's are absolutely awesome-sounding amps, and it's hard to beat the Doc's price for a hand-wired "boutique" amp like that! I have the Maz Jr. head and a 2-10 cab on order along with one of his "Air Brake" attenuators, so I'll be able to give you a review pretty soon.

If you're comfortable in that price range, you may want to take a look at some of the other Dr. Z's too, like the Ghia, Maz Jr. or RX Jr. (all 15 or 18-watters) - with an Air Brake you'd end up with a great-sounding "bedroom" amp that would still be easily capable of jamming/gigging.

fly135    5
I have the Maz Jr. head and a 2-10 cab on order along with one of his "Air Brake" attenuators, so I'll be able to give you a review pretty soon.
Thats pretty cool Stratrat. I can't wait to hear about it.

scott58    0

That is pretty sweet. I'm also trying to decide between the 2x10's and the 1x12 with celestrons. Think i'll make a few inquiries concerning pedals. Be a shame not to go with analog pedals. As much as I like my Pod there really is no substitute for the real deal.

P.S Sorry D-Dawn I feel like I hijacked your thread, but after reading all this you may want to reconsider. You only live once! :yes:

fly135    5
Be a shame not to go with analog pedals. As much as I like my Pod there really is no substitute for the real deal.
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the distortion and amp modeling in the multifx. Here's how I'm running my gear right now. The loop switch is currently under construction. I bought a box and parts from pedalparts.com to make it.

mysetup.jpg

D-Dawn    0
I've been pretty happy with the sound from my Fat Strat and a Roland cube. Butshe sounded sooooo sweet when I bought her wired into a nice Fender Tube amp.(Forget which one) Check out the $300 Super Champ...15 watt with different voicing and effects built in.

:claping: Whaddaya know?! I ended up with The Super Champ XD! Gonna play with it more tomorrow since I just got it tonight. I have the 15W Vox too, but I'm taking it back ;) Besides the fact that I'm fed up with GC and their missing parts at the moment (no cable in with my amp and I have to drive an hour to get there!) I just plain like the Super Champ tube sound so much better!! Super clean cleans and different effects is enough for me...and loud too! So Thanks GDB! :yeahhh:Great recommendation!

Stratrat    0

Congrats, D-Dawn - I haven't had a chance to play one yet, but those new Fenders have been getting rave reviews just about everywhere, sounds like your ears agree! :yes: Have fun with it!

GotDeeBlues    3

Glad to hear you liked it that much. The shops near me don't have them in stock, but a Sam Ash about an hour away does.So I guess my Strat and I will be taking a ride next week end. Hope your hand is letting you play enough to enjoy you new gear.

fly135    5
:claping: Whaddaya know?! I ended up with The Super Champ XD! Gonna play with it more tomorrow since I just got it tonight. I have the 15W Vox too, but I'm taking it back ;) Besides the fact that I'm fed up with GC and their missing parts at the moment (no cable in with my amp and I have to drive an hour to get there!) I just plain like the Super Champ tube sound so much better!! Super clean cleans and different effects is enough for me...and loud too! So Thanks GDB! :yeahhh:Great recommendation!
Nice! I congratulate you on your decision to exchange the Vox for the Champ.:winkthumb:

D-Dawn    0

I'm very pleased with the Super Champ! Playing with the 2 together in the quiet of my own home really allows me to be able to hear how much cleaner the SC is.

My hand is better! Well enough that I can barre again, but for switching quickly between certain chords there's some restriction. It's still not completely healed so I'm taking it easy. I give it another 2 weeks before I can play like before :( But at least I get to noodle around a bit now!:smilinguitar: