D-Dawn

Blues JR or VOX?

D-Dawn    0

I don't have a clue! I'll have around $400 to spend on an amp next week, but I need a bit of imput.

I just got a new Fender Fat Strat and I want my own amp...I like my sons G-Dec ok but I prefer a cleaner sound. I know I can get the clean sound from the Blues Jr, but I've had a lot of ppl recommend the VOX amps...andbody own a VOX? What do you like about it?

Opinions?? I do like the distortion occasionally, but I prefer a really clean (loud long lasting heh) amp. BTW this is just for at home so I don't need anything huge or really expensive!

GotDeeBlues    3

I've been pretty happy with the sound from my Fat Strat and a Roland cube. Butshe sounded sooooo sweet when I bought her wired into a nice Fender Tube amp.(Forget which one) Check out the $300 Super Champ...15 watt with different voicing and effects built in.

Stratrat    0

D-Dawn - I've got both of those amps (Blues Jr. and Vox AD30VT.) The Blues Jr. is a great-sounding little tube amp, and the Vox is a great-sounding little modeling amp (yeah, like THAT helps you at all!) :D

With that said, I'll try to narrow it down for you a little. The Blues Jr., like most tube amps, sounds kinda 'thin' at low volumes. It hits its "sweet spot" when it's cranked up enough to get the power tubes working....only problem is that it's LOUD when you get it to that point! You can use an attenuator to overcome that problem, but we're talking about a different topic (and another couple/few hundred dollars!) It's also a one trick pony as far as tones go - you can get a pretty clean tone or a slightly overdriven tone by playing with the master/vol settings, but it's pretty much the same tone - just with a little more or less 'hair' on it.

The Vox does have one tube in the signal path, but it's not a true tube amp - it's considered a "hybrid", but at its core it is still a solid-state modeling amp. The Vox is more versatile than the Blues Jr. as far as the sounds you can get out of it....from a very sweet clean to a filthy, grungy metal-type overdrive, and everything in-between. It has built-in effects you can play with, and you can dial in a sound you like and save it as a "patch" so you can always come back to it with one button push (it actually saves two separate patches). It also has an attenuator built into the amp (control is on the back panel), which allows you to get "loud" tone at low volume. IMO the Vox is much better suited for low-volume home practicing, but it can easily get loud enough to jam with others too....I play it when I jam with my drummer and the Vox holds its own just fine volume-wise. A guy on another board has gigged for a couple years with his Vox AD30VT (mic'ed, of course), and says he sold his Fender Deluxe Reverb because he likes the Vox so much.

D-Dawn    0

Oh why do they give us so many choices?!?!?! Thanks stratrat! I'll play both...but I agree that the Blues Jr is way loud lol...I cranked it in the shop and was like "WOW" *giddy* lol I'm such a kid! But looking and listening to the VOX is getting me more interested! Its cool that they give you a bit of a preview online :)

s1120    0

I have a VOX ad30vt also and like it. Grated I am new, and have nothing to compair it to so take it for what its worth . :D :D

For that money you could jump up to the ad50vt also, and have more power, and some extra goodies over the ad30vt.

D-Dawn    0
I have a VOX ad30vt also and like it. Grated I am new, and have nothing to compair it to so take it for what its worth . :D :D

For that money you could jump up to the ad50vt also, and have more power, and some extra goodies over the ad30vt.

LoL my neighbors would disown me if I go any louder!!

P-90    1

Too many choices, yes! But look at the bright side... you want good cleans. Good cleans are FAR easier to find than good dirties. You almost can't go wrong.

stratplayer    0

You could always go with a low wattage tube amp I have a 5 watt frenzel amp $345.beautiful clean tones and nasty breakup that i love still gets loud but will keep you in good with the neighbors. :smilinguitar:

krissovo    0

I have both, I love the Blues Jr its just a shame that I live in an apartment and I never get the chance to play cranked so if I play with a amp its the Vox mostly.

Either would suit but the BJ......hmmmmmm

D-Dawn    0

LoL the Blues Jr is loud huh? I played with it in the shop and was very impressed. I just don't want to decide til I play the Vox as well. Your input has been a big help all! Thanks again!!

D-Dawn    0
I prefer to go through my Hotrod when I use my fatstrat. The clean valve tone "for me" is unmatched.

Hotrod? You're talkin' to an amp newb here doug lol...what is a Hotrod? :dunno: Thanks in advance!

Hotrod? You're talkin' to an amp newb here doug lol...what is a Hotrod? :dunno: Thanks in advance!

Sorry. I don't know a lot about the Blues junior. But a "Fender Hotrod Deluxe" as far as I can gather is the daddy version of the Blues junior. I may be wrong. I'm sure someone will put me right.:dunno::smilinguitar:

Stratrat    0

There are actually several "Hot Rod" models. I guess the Blues Jr's "big brothers" would be considered the Blues Deluxe (40 watts, 6L6 power tubes, 1-12 speaker) and Blues DeVille (60 watts, 6L6 power tubes, 4-10 speakers) - but the tone of a 6L6 amp is markedly different than the Blues Jr's EL-84 tubes. In fact, ALL of the Hot Rod series are 6L6-based amps, the only other one that uses EL-84's is the Pro Jr.....so in the most technical sense, I guess the Blues Jr. doesn't really have a "big brother" in the Fender line.

GotDeeBlues    3

Dawn, a 5 watt tube amp is more than adequete for home use, and would sound great with your Strat. If you find one with a line out for a cabinet you could always add one later like a 12" or a 2X10 or 12 and tear up the neighborhood. When you posted about the new Fender, I suggested the new 5 or 15 watt Fender Champs @ $249-$299. There is also a nice Blackheart head/cab set up at Musician's Friend for $250.

TigerKraw    0

Tough decision, yet another Vox owners to put his two cents

I know The blues jnr is a highly regarded tube amp, and a favourite

amoungst fellow forum members here.

I've been using the VOX AD30VT and been having a lot of fun with

it. there is a site ValveTronix Presets with a lot of presets to look

at, to help you in picking the right settings for a lot of popular songs.

there is a good range of clean tones, so you should find what you

want. the money you save on effect pedals would make purchasing

the Vox an easier choice. then again the pure true guitar sound you

would get from a blues jnr is worth thinking about.

If I was in your shoes and if I had enough money I would get both.

but for practice and versatility I would choose the Vox.

scott58    0

I'm in the same boat you are. I want a tube amp, but even the little 5 watters are to loud for my needs. I'm saving for one of the little 1 watt guys, but they are hugely expensive compared to what I'm used to. You'd probably be happier with a Vox. Try a DA 20 before you jump into the AD series. Got a really nice blues tone to it. Although the effects aren't up to the AD series level I think it sounds better as long as your not diving headlong into metal. It's a more classic rock/blues orientated amp. (unless you add a pod to it, then it will do about anything).

It sucks when even a 5 watt tube finds it's sweet spot after the neighbors call the cops and not before. :isaynothing:

P-90    1
I'm in the same boat you are. I want a tube amp, but even the little 5 watters are to loud for my needs. I'm saving for one of the little 1 watt guys, but they are hugely expensive compared to what I'm used to...

It sucks when even a 5 watt tube finds it's sweet spot after the neighbors call the cops and not before. :isaynothing:

If anyone is interested in the DIY approach, the site ax84.com has a lot of low powered tube amps one can build for $300 or less, some of which are available as kits. I don't *think* there is a kit available for the Firefly, but that was what your post made me think of, since it's about half a watt. Here's a sample: http://annex.ax84.com/media/ax84_m277.mp3

And the page on it: AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project

I doubt that this approach will appeal to most guitarists, but it's nice to know that it's available.

Stratrat    0
I'm in the same boat you are. I want a tube amp, but even the little 5 watters are to loud for my needs. I'm saving for one of the little 1 watt guys, but they are hugely expensive compared to what I'm used to....

...It sucks when even a 5 watt tube finds it's sweet spot after the neighbors call the cops and not before. :isaynothing:

I'm not sure what you consider "hugely expensive", but here's a great little 5-watt tube amp with a built-in attenuator so you can "crank it" without cranking it: Dr. Z Mini-Z.

There are soundclips near the bottom of the page to give you an idea of what it sounds like.