ozboomer

New Guitar Problems - Return, Repair (Refund?) ... or a Job for my Regular Tech?

Stratrat    0
...but I wonder what people do when they purchase on-line? Do they go through the 'try it out' process 'at home' or something? That is, they choose a guitar, it gets delivered, they find it's a dud. They ship it back, get another one.. and repeat. Going through that process could take months!?.....

Buying online can be a crapshoot whether you're buying a cheap offshore knockoff guitar or a vintage American-made instrument. Many of the online merchants offer a 30-day trial period and free exchange - I certainly wouldn't shop for a guitar online at a place that didn't. As far as having to ship back and forth over and over again, getting two "duds" in a row is unlikely unless you're buying from a manufacturer with extremely poor quality and quality control. If the first one was bad and the second one was bad, I'd seriously consider buying elsewhere or trying another brand.

I've bought guitars online and been lucky, I guess - got good ones each time with no "issues"....but if possible, I'd much rather be able to inspect, hold and play a guitar before I plunk down my money. Even better yet if they have several of the same model so I can try each of them and pick the one I like best.

Noodler    1

The quality tag looked like it had been stamped with "B7." But the tag also said "set-up" which to me means it should be playable on purchase. Some guitars I've bought haven't needed one or it's been done already.

As for on-line, what you see is what you get. If it looks lovely and shiny, you will get a lovely, pretty, shiny guitar. I'm looking at one I bought online right now. Really beautiful. Plays horribly even after a pro set-up and has no tinny resonance, which is bad because it is a resonator. But gee it looks great!

In future I will only ever buy a guitar that, when I pick it up and play it I am in love. I don't care what the brand is.

ozboomer    0

Well, the latest attempt at getting some information is interesting...

Something over a week ago, I tried sending some e-mail (with the photos) to the manufacturers, to see if they would give an indication as to whether the guitar I have is, in fact, genuine.

I've had no reply... and the e-mail hasn't bounced, so I don't know what to make of that.

In short, I'm thinkin' I'll just give-up on the silly thing... and just make sure I wander around the guitar shops, trying guitars (and NOT worrying about feeling like an eediot 'coz I can't play that flash - yet).. and buy the guitar that feels best...

...but again, I appreciate the help from everyone..

allthumbs    8
The quality tag looked like it had been stamped with "B7." But the tag also said "set-up" which to me means it should be playable on purchase. Some guitars I've bought haven't needed one or it's been done already.

As for on-line, what you see is what you get. If it looks lovely and shiny, you will get a lovely, pretty, shiny guitar. I'm looking at one I bought online right now. Really beautiful. Plays horribly even after a pro set-up and has no tinny resonance, which is bad because it is a resonator. But gee it looks great!

In future I will only ever buy a guitar that, when I pick it up and play it I am in love. I don't care what the brand is.

Swap out the cone for an after market upgrade. Do the mushroom mod. That is moving the support stems. One you remove and the other you move up to the heel of the neck. I found a post for you with more detail.

Don Young of National Resophonic was the source of the first version of the mushroom mod that Grady performed on his Johnson. (Moving the center mushroom originally located at the center of the soundwell to the neck end of the body.) Discovering a defective mushroom in mine, I went a step further with no mushroom in the midsection of the body. Just one at each end. I can't compare the two versions without fixing up a replacement stem on the mushroom I extracted, but I sure do like the way I've got mine now! I suspect it'd sound great with no mushrooms at all, but haven't tried that either. The mushrooms, like the soundpost in a violin, define nodal points on the back. They kill several lower order vibrational modes. Removing the ones in the center cranked the bass way up. Actually, the midrange volume is up quite a bit, too, and the sustain certainly is. Didn't have as much effect on the treble. It's got a lot more "honk" on the attack and the guitar rings much more with noises in the room. Somebody with different tastes than mine might think it boomy or "muddy," and it does sound more like a single cone now. (That banjo-in-a-well sound that National single cones all make.) The 'shrooms may well have been put there to kill a tone that someone found objectionable. But I love it!

karcey    42

Ozboomer, I can't understand how you can be purchasing a defective article from a shop in Australia and have no security in your purchase. Surely you must have a receipt, a warranty, some sort of documentation. You said in your original post that you paid for the more economical setup. Isn't this shown on your paperwork? I must say I'm a bit disappointed that shonky deals are still happening with all the consumer protection we have. For my part I make sure I get what I pay for (... I suppose after so many years on this planet I'm a bit cynical about trusting retailers too far!)

ozboomer    0
...Surely you must have a receipt, a warranty, some sort of documentation.

Naaah, tha's why I say I think I "lost my presence of mind" or something. I have the receipt but there was no warranty statement from them, or any document.. and no manual with the guitar. All round, it was a pretty dumb thing to go on with for my part.. but in future, I'll do my normal, methodical, pain-in-the-neck checklists and things that I normally do when buying anything :)

Actually.. if I went back to this silly shop, I expect I'd get the line "you agreed to the purchase of the guitar 'AS IS' and if it's not suitable, that's not MY problem". Pffft.

As I said, it seems to be the type of place that is more focussed on doing what they want, rather than satisfying their customers. They won't last in the game with that sort of attitude.. and I admit, I'm helping them survive by not making a lot of noise about it...

Maybe they'd be different if I was spending $1000s but if my entire transaction is $300 or something, they probably don't care, 'coz they can get that sort of $$ by selling one pedal effect these days..

Anyway, they've only been around a couple of years.. maybe they won't last much longer; I was just trying to think about helping out a local shop rather than dealing with a conglomerate(!)... but even there, I was ignored today when I was looking at some of their guitars - how did they know I wasn't going to fit-out my band?

*mutter, mutter*

Still, when it comes to my next purchase (and there will be some, I expect - I still have to get my 'real' strat sometime :) ), I'll go to the couple of local shops I normally visit... and grill 'em with my requirements... and! find out their policies, etc. :)

Y'live'n'learn... well, y'HOPE y'do :)