- - - - -

Fretsource's lessons forum - new trainer.

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Fretsource

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,403 posts
  • Joined 27-May 06

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hi all, I've added a new chord ear training program to my tools and trainers. It includes all majors, minors and three types of 7th chords. in 4 levels of difficulty.

Have a look (or listen) here -see if you find it useful. I've already found it quite useful - and also depressing, as I've discovered my ear isn't quite as good as I thought it was.

#2 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,053 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:47 AM

Thanks Fretsource.
Boy do I got work cut out for me on this.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#3 OFFLINE   Europa

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 08-February 07

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

I'll be checking this out later.

Thanks again Fretsource, your teaching methods and lessons have helped me alot. :D
I miss the comfort in being sad

#4 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,878 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

Your lessons are great Fun Fretsource thanks for putting this one on it's a real test.:winkthumb:
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#5 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

Thanks Fretsource, great training aid.

#6 OFFLINE   billywhitebread

• Active Members
  • 214 posts
  • Joined 01-June 07

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:46 AM

thats pretty cool and alot of work went into that i can tell...it would have been easier for me to identify the chords from an acoustic guitar and a slower strum speed but alas i am still learning....

#7 OFFLINE   Fretsource

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,403 posts
  • Joined 27-May 06

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Thanks guys - I hope it's useful. I'm now planning a bigger one that will have more chord types as well as inversions.

#8 OFFLINE   si16

• Moderators

• 6,099 posts
  • Joined 07-November 05

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for this Fretsource, I've been using this quite a bit, really useful. I surprised myself by how well I did on level 1 both in identifying individual open chords and also the relationships. Level 4 is pretty tough though. :winkthumb:

#9 OFFLINE   Fretsource

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,403 posts
  • Joined 27-May 06

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

Cheers Simon - I was a bit surprised too by level 1. I expected to hear every chord in relation to the key chord - but I didn't expect that each chord, even the first chord you hear after starting, would be instantly recogniseable without reference to the key.
I was beginning to think that maybe I had perfect pitch until I realised later that it's because each of those chords has a unique arrangement based on the most common shape on the fretboard. No two chords at that level have the same 'shape' so that's how we recognise them so easily. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
I'm working on a new one (piano based) that allows chords to be played with many different arrangements, including inversions. I'm making it piano based because the program will choose any arrangement of chord tones it wants and many of those combinations would be unplayable on the guitar.
That shouldn't matter to guitarists though. The purpose is to give practice at identifying the harmonic effect of chords regardless of instrument, rather than their arrangement of chord tones. - But if you can recognise both, that's even better.

#10 OFFLINE   tonedeaf

• Active Members

• 217 posts
  • Joined 25-October 06

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the great tool. It's coming in very handy.

Is there also a tool for interval training? I think you have one for chords if I remember.

Thanks,
John

#11 OFFLINE   Fretsource

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,403 posts
  • Joined 27-May 06

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

Glad you've found it useful, John. Yes there's an interval trainer too. You can find all my tools and trainers here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users