tonedeaf

12-strings for 6-string guitar

Hello all,

Can I use the strings for a 12-string guitar for my 6-string guitar? And before anyone says anything, of course I am only going to use six of them. :)

Thanks,

John

I can't really see a problem. However the fretboard is considerably wider so it may impair your playing. I'm only guessing at this point. I have a twelve string, and I just had a look at the string positions. If you take away the higher octave strings, you are going to have at least a quarter of an inch gap between each string. Personally I think I would find it a handicap to my playing as my fingers would feel an emptiness on the fretboard. As I've said "I'm only guessing" but I don't think I would do it. I reckon you need feedback off the more experienced players of a twelve string.:dunno:

Doug I think Tonedeaf means he wants to put a set of string for a 12 string on a six string , I would presume that would be fine but it does sound like an expensive option .

Doug I think Tonedeaf means he wants to put a set of string for a 12 string on a six string , I would presume that would be fine but it does sound like an expensive option .

Thank you Matt, that's what I was asking. Sorry Doug that my question was not clear. If I have a pack of strings that are for a 12-string guitar can those strings be used on a 6-stringer, that's what I am asking. Some of the prices look more economical if I purchase the 12-string batch. I'll work that out as I go along but I was wondering if the strings themselves are the same for both gutiars.

Thanks guys for the posts,

John

Yeh, you can do it. And , if you were interested in trying Nashville tuning, you could use the higher octave strings from the 12 string set.

There was a recent thread about Nashville tuning. Look it up , it sounded pretty interesting the sounds you can get with that set up.

uhm..i wouldn't recommend it personally. if you decide to do it use the heavier gauge strings of course...the the b and high e strings are the same but the rest are slightly different. remember a 12 string is played on octaves except for the b and e. most packs of 12 strings are light or extra light gauges or even custom light. i would only do it if it were my only option that i was without strings...i've tried it myself and wasn't happy at all with the tone, playability or presence. but then again this is just my personal opinion....and 12 string sets cost way more that a 6 string set...you'd be left with 4 useless octave strings if you did that....