Berlu

Bridge Pin Stuck

A string broke on my acoustic and I pulled out the bridge peg, and it came out easily enough. But then I put it back in and tried to take it out later. But the thing just wouldn't move.

Any tips on how to get it back out?

Loosen off the strings so you can get your hand in the sound hole. Use something with a flat surface to press against the peg to push it out. This works well with broken pegs too. You can get a peg removal tool but, if it is really jammed in it might break. I have had that happen.

What have you tried so far Berlu, there is a tool you can get for removing bridge pins, I had a couple stuck in a guitar I got off a friend and I removed them with a pair of pliers you have to be quite careful though as you don't want to scratch the bridge, the guitar I got had plastic bridge pins, I replaced them with brass ones as they seem to give a bit more sustain and have never got stuck, another suggestion is to reach inside the soundhole and try pushing the pin up with a small flat object coin, bit of plastic something like that, there is though a risk of snapping it so you have to be gentle. Don't know if this helps but hope you solve the problem Berlu.

Thanks for the tips, but I was able to stick my skinny wrist and small hand past the strings into the sound hole. Then I just pinched the end of the pin between my fingers and pushed up.

Hi, :brickwall: I guess it was my brother who put a Bridge pin into the bridge of my STEPDADS takamine which was too big, he tried pulling it out and it snapped, I can;t get it out for the life of me, someone please help, I tried using a flat surface to push it up from underneath, but it hasn,t gone all the way through, I've tried pulling it out but all ive done is made a mess, please help

thanks

Steve

You night have to drill it out as a last resort. You can take it ti a guitar tech. I imagine they have a few tricks we don't know about for this kind of thing.

hmm, only thign is like i said it's my stepdads and i really dont want him finding out, he'll either kick my ass or make me buy him a new guitar :P, but if i do drill it out, what would i use just a normal drill bit? I guess I'll have to find the right size though

but it hasn,t gone all the way through, I've tried pulling it out but all ive done is made a mess, please help

The hole goes all the way through, so if the pin doesn't protrude (that is if you can't feel it sticking inside the guitar) you'll need some sort of pointy object to put pressure on the end of it inside the hole. I hesitate to say this next bit for fear of what you might do, but ... with pressure on the bottom of the pin, a bit of a bump on the bridge could move it. I don't mean hit it with a hammer, or in any way mark the bridge, and don't rest the guitar on the table when you do it. We don't want the top caved in do we?!!!

I've used a very fine drill to weaken a stuck pin, smaller diameter than the pin and drilled down through the middle but you need a steady hand and protection for the soundboard.

Could be time to visit a luthier.

Like we say in the Automotive field ............ Get a Bigger Hammer :eek:

If your not used to using power tools , I think I would bite the bullet and take it to the guitar shop and see what they can do for you !!

It may be worth the money to save the skin on your A$$ ;) ;) :)

I tried using a flat surface to push it up from underneath, but it hasn,t gone all the way through

I had the same problem a while ago. What kind of "flat surface" did you use? Using something plastic won't do much. I first tried using my cellphone but that didn't do anything. Then i used the flat side of some pliers to hammer it out carefully: they came out immediately.

ps : i'm not sure "pliers" is the correct word so i just attached an image to illustrate :)

8424.attach

Done that. I sympathize.

Best way I found is diagonal pliers. Not sure what they're called in England. Even here in Canada most people (even if they own them) don't know the name. They're also called wire cutters.

BE GENTLE. This method works well and easily with a soft touch. The inside of the jaws are on about a 45 degree angle, so they will cradle the head on the bridge pin (peg) nicely. The finesse comes in not closing the jaws once they are resting against the underneath of the peg head.

Use a piece of cardboard or some other protection for the bridge and top of your guitar and just pry up gently. The peg will come out so easily you'll wonder why you didn't do it with your fingernails----until you rememeber how stuck it was in the first place. All the best.

Reach under throught the sound hole and push up gently. If it sticks your finger, use something similar to cushion it. If you have a string winder,it probably has a notched end meant to get under the head. Don't be shocked...we've all been there - done that.

Thanks~ I actually just got it there now! With a pair of pliers, gentle pulls to each side and it popped right out! I did try reaching into the sound hole, but it wouldn't budge from there. The trick is be gentle! Although, now my big problem is getting the strings tight enough, ugh.. Wish me luck! :crying2:

G'day Fairytale, Welcome to the forum.

Avoid this situation in the future by not pushing the pins in so hard. They aren't nails, and work very well when only pressed gently into the hole. In case you haven't seen a diagram, the pin just blocks the hole so the ball end of the string can't push past. The ball end pushes on the side of the pin as you tighten the string, effectively holding the pin from moving. Very simple really, and certainly no need for force.

Keep in touch.

Hi there

I have decided to get back to my guitar after starting to learn a number of years ago but not getting very far. So, picked it up this morning and decided first to change the strings; but one of the bridge pins broke off lodging the bottom half and the string in the hole. Using the info on here, I used flat nosed pliers to hammer gently from inside the guitar which allowed some pin to protrude from the top. Carefully using the pliers on the string which I had cut down to a couple of inches, I was able to release it and, hey presto, the remaining part of the pin became dislodged. Now I just need a new pin and can begin my guitar learning journey once more.

Many thanks for all the info provided on this site as I don't think I would've been able to do it without your help :thumbup:

Well Twinkle Toes, it's good to hear of someone else getting value from the forum. They say a wise man learns from his mistakes, but a wiser man learns from someone else's. We at the forum have between us made about all the mistakes that can be made, so we're in a good position to pass on a bit of advice now and again.

Keep in touch.

:crying2: bugger, umm, what can i use to put pressure on the pin on the end? like a small pencil or somthing?, if that doesn't work then I'll try using a fine drill, thanks

if you have not fixed this yet or haven't yet informed your step dad ..........you can try a nail set (different sizes are used to set finish nails below the suface of the wood ) they are tapered ,tempered and with careful use should be able to push a broken bridge pin up from the bottom with out damaging the pin hole . the operative word is gentle. unles you have a very steady hand and are accomplished with a drill i would suggest you take the beating before trying it( assuming it is figurative and not literal)