danthelion

What is the best fingerstyle song? (your favourite)

Hi everyone

I want to do a poll on this question. The poll can have up to 20 choices, so rather than me put what I think the 20 choices should be I would appreciate your feedback as to what your favourite fingerstyle songs are. (songs that can be played on a single acoustic guitar)

I will give it about 10 days & then make up a poll influenced by the responses posted here.

Look forward to your replies

Dan :)

Feel free to suggest several songs if you want, in any style (pop, classical, jazz etc...) as long as it's played fingerstyle, I would just like to get a feel for what the general favourites are.

I realize there are other polls on, fav song. fav lesson etc... but there is not one on this. (in fact try doing a search on google on "best fingerstyle song" & you only get one song answers, or books that promote what one person think (which is sales not marketing))

Dan

I can think of a couple

1. Fire and Rain by James taylor

2. Classical Gas by Mason Williams ( although Kirks version is the one i am going to have a crack at soon)

3. and maybe Never going down again by Fleetwood Mac

One of the first finger-pickn' songs I learned was Dust in the Wind by Kansas. Still

one of my favourites...!

The only way I can play it though, is with thumb and index... If another finger tries to join

the fun, it turns in to a rumble...!

Your're a '2 finger picking wonder' like myself.:mad: I can relate to exactly what your saying. One of things I've been working on lately. I mean really man, it sounds "ok" and you can get by with the 2 finger shuffle but can't help but know if the other 3 were in the mix it would sound what....3X better:eek:

I'm easing in the ring and pinky here and there and beginning to see a little improvement any advice from you guys out there would be appreciated:thumbup1:

As far as favorite song....hmmmm tough one:huh: I'm gonna go with the one I've been practicing fingerstyle on for now, Bron-Y-Aur by Mr. Page in C A C G C E tuning. He's famous for alternate tunings and double tracking, but this one just seems to be one guitar all the way through.

Also like 'Going To California' but that's a challenge, if you listen closely, there's 2 guitars and a mandolin in there, little difficult to replicate, but still a fun song to play.

I really, really like the Bluegrass Confederacy's version of Dixie. Good stuff. Most of the stuff by the Buena Vista Social Club, too. Eric Johnson's Song For George, yep, yep, yep...

Oh! And Indian Summer by Poco.

tough question....so many......I like to warm up with one of my favorite artists, Neil Young..and my voice is crappy like his (LOL..I love the guy)...so I'll throw in Needle and the Damage Done.

Not too sure I can claim a favorite "fingerpicked" tune, perhaps style for me would be better. I'm a Travis style picker and love the thumb base runs. On the other hand the intricate finger picking of Celtic music is a big part of my listening pleasure and I'm attempting to learn those 6/8 jigs and 12/8 hornpipes.

Les

Ah, hornpipes... Where would us hippies be without you?

:lol:

Lets see ill add

Freight Train- (my first)

Those Who Wait-Tommy Emmanuel (what in trying:oops: to learn now)

Going to califonia - Led Zeppelin (just a good song)

Windy and Warm, Borsillino sp? - Chet Atkins (wish i had more of his stuff)

Adrian Legg- Old friends (crazy acoustic string bending)

Something Segovia (couldn't say i know any song names ill just set put in an album and listen)

Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges (anything else as well)

Leo Kottke - Ojo (always liked this one, other songs by him as well cant think of any now)

Forbidden Games (Jeux Interdits) (one of my favorites, thanks kirk)

Here comes the sun - Beatles (George Harrison)

Hmmm... cant think of any more, ill add em if i do.