79Lespaul

Metal Vs Glass Slide

the one I have so far is a piece of light brass tubing taken from the bottom of a sink drain. Its oversized for my finger(1 1/4") but its the straightest and smoothest I've found so far. nice gritty sound.

Yes Kirk....I agree Duane is one of the kings of slide guitar! I understand what you are saying about the feel you get with a favorite metal! Thanks for taking the time to talk about slides and strings! Most pros like you wouldn't bother with us newcomers so I give my Kudos to you for caring enough to help me!

Beer bottles don't really have enough weight in the glass to allow for a good slide tone (due to the glass not being of a very good quality), we recommend the darkest green wine bottle glass (or if it's perfection you're looking for - an olive oil or balsamic vinegar bottle from a deli) that fits your slidin' digit snugly;)

...and a big 'Hi' to all our good friends here again - it's been a long time!

Slide On!

Ian.

Diamond Bottlenecks - Home

I play acoustic slide and was using chrome ( or stainless steel?) slide for years. About a year ago, found out my new neighbor ( a geologist of some kind) had some kind of a buffer with a rock cutting blade, asked him to cut some wine bottlenecks for me. I'll never go back to anything else. Heavy, nice and positive feel, and I love the vibrato and tone.

IMO, no rules.

Have a variety of slides made from different materials and use 'em all.

I like brass for its stickiness on the strings

I like glass for its slipperiness

I like using cheap nasty steel one, for its tinniness

I use a Rockslide for versatility sometimes.

Use all kinds of slide, leave em lying round the house, and use whatever is nearest when inspiration strikes.

There are no "rules"

Do slides come in precious metals like gold , platnium , silver?

I've never seen one if they do!!!

How about crystal glass...too much class for a slide?!

Duane was the only one to really get a good sound out of a light slide. To my ear anyway.

Take a listen to some of Blind Mississippi Morris' stuff with slide in it, his guitarist (Brad Webb) can tear it up with a thin little coricidin bottle...in my opinion of course :)

jetslide glass on brass:

"The innovative JetSlideā„¢ guitar slide allows you to play slide guitar licks, while retaining full use of your fretting fingers for playing normal

guitar chords and solos. JetSlide guitar slides work equally well on

electric guitars, acoustic guitars, and resonator guitars."

Precious metals like Gold & Silver wouldn't be useable as guitar slides due to the softness of the material - both would suffer from deep surface scratching on the wound strings. Platinum would work as it's a hard metal.....but i wouldn't like to pick up the bill:D!

Crystal glass, especially hand-blown leaded crystal is superb for guitar slides - the secret is to find a glassblower who can hit the necessary internal/external diameters when blowing the 'bulb'. We can only tell if we have a useable tube when we receive our shipments from our glassblowers by cutting them up! The fullness of tone & sustain given by a lead crystal glass slide is truly amazing (try the old test of finding if a glass goblet or tumbler is true crystal - tap it with a nail, and if it rings out & sustains like a bell - it's lead crystal, and it's this same tone & sustain that'll apply to your instrument;)).

Slide On!

Ian.

Diamond Bottlenecks - Home

Question...if one were to put 16,18,24,34,44, & 54 on a guitar to accommodate a slide, should the guitar be set up for that ? Is there one kind of guitar that would be better for this than another? I have Kirk's "Slide Guitar" DVD and I would like to try the heavy gauge strings on one of my guitars..... 54' strat custom shop rep....79" strat......83' strat..... Gretsch Nashville Jr hollow body electric, not sure of the year..I think 03' or 04'......Martin and Fender accoustic both 07'.......60' Kay Silvertone solid body DeArmond single pickup.

Thanks for any advise I can get.

Jobone

Most of the time just adding the Heavy strings is all the setup you need. Heavy strings will give you a higher action which is prefered by many...(but not all) for slide.

Most people with Strats also Block The Tremolo with a piece of wood. (but not all)

You see.........most sliders are a picky bunch. :D They like a certain action on the guitar; special custom gauged string sets and a slide that fits just right made from a certain material that give them that special MOJO :eek:

Come join the fun !!! :lol:

My least favor slide is a jetslide & I'm still waiting for my diamond bottle neck slide.

I have a jet-slide too! Itried to use it for about a week ............tossed it in my gig bag and never used it again.

Hopefully I will be getting my diamond slide today in the mail if didn't get lost in custom's. I'm really looking forward to using my new slide and I don't think a thin copper slide sounds all that good on an acoustic LOL.

Question...if one were to put 16,18,24,34,44, & 54 on a guitar to accommodate a slide, should the guitar be set up for that ? Is there one kind of guitar that would be better for this than another? I have Kirk's "Slide Guitar" DVD and I would like to try the heavy gauge strings on one of my guitars..... 54' strat custom shop rep....79" strat......83' strat..... Gretsch Nashville Jr hollow body electric, not sure of the year..I think 03' or 04'......Martin and Fender accoustic both 07'.......60' Kay Silvertone solid body DeArmond single pickup.

Thanks for any advise I can get.

Jobone

I'd say a solid body with a screwed on neck would be best, jbk. I did hear from someone once who damaged their guitar by putting heavy strings on it. I suggest trying slightly heavier than you're used to first, seeing what happens to the action/tone/playablity, then trying slightly heavier again if you're still not pleased. Also, it's the treble strings that need to be heavy, not so much the bass strings -- they already have mass and tension because they're thick to begin with. It's those E and B strings that need beefing up.

I'd say a solid body with a screwed on neck would be best, jbk. I did hear from someone once who damaged their guitar by putting heavy strings on it. I suggest trying slightly heavier than you're used to first, seeing what happens to the action/tone/playablity, then trying slightly heavier again if you're still not pleased. Also, it's the treble strings that need to be heavy, not so much the bass strings -- they already have mass and tension because they're thick to begin with. It's those E and B strings that need beefing up.

I agree with Kirk...........be very careful putting heavy strings on a nice acoustic.....I have seen Bridges rip right off or crack.

Im using 13 17 20 26 36 46 as my slide set on my Telecaster.

I have 2 slides that I use primarily, and about 60 of them laying around the house for easy access, I use a brass slide for about 99% of any of the acoustic stuff I do and if I happen to be playing an electric I reach for a coricidin bottle.

Hello all

:)

I thought I should give you all my "five cents" about the topic. First though,

I'm not really a good slide guitarist (hope to improve as I just ordered the slide DVD)

but I've messed around a bit with it anyway. For me this is what works best as for now.

I use a socket wrench that I shortened to the right length and it is heavy and really

comfy cause I could really take the one that suited me perfect. While doing that I made

maybe 5-6 of them from a cheap socket wrench set in my world they are perfect.

I got that tip from Rory Block

:)

Playing acoustic, the socket slides works best for me,

on my resonator I use a mud slide which is porcelain I believe

and regular electric I use a plastic slide, or one of my shortened

socket slides.

my tip. go buy a set of socket wrenches or a couple of them cut them

up in various length using an angle grinder and find

the one you like. I have an angle grinder stand that I used and it

worked perfectly in case anyone wonder how to cut them into length.

since I'm new around here this tip maybe already appeared in this

forum, but in that case it could be viewed as a reminder

:tongueyes:

you all have a good one

:smilinguitar: