- - - - -

Metal Vs Glass Slide

48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   79Lespaul

• Active Members
  • 375 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

I'm told that the only true slide is the glass medicine bottle , but I see mostly metal. How do you decide? Glass, Stainless steel, Brass,Copper? Whats the pro vs con of each?

#2 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

I have a custom made heavy leaded glass slide which is the exact brother of Kirk's brass slides. I prefer the brass and almost never play the glass. I prefer the growl of brass.

#3 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,244 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

I'd always heard that the 'true' slide was a bottle neck. The more I got into slide, the more I found that weight was the best asset when it came to slides. The heavier the slide, the better the contact with the string, the clearer the tone, the longer the sustain. But, the trade off is that you need to use heavier strings. The ones I have made for me are as heavy as I could get, that's why I love them. Those Coricidin bottles are the exact opposite: almost no weight, thin sides, zero sustain (for me, anyway) and mosquito-like tone. I used one for years before realizing that dense weight was the answer for me.

#4 OFFLINE   79Lespaul

• Active Members
  • 375 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Hi Kirk,
What gauge strings do you play on slide? I saw this gadget for lap steel guitar that looked like an anvil with a handle. Is this too much or should I try a particular brand? which one do you prefere?

#5 OFFLINE   RockabillyBomber

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 29-November 07

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Hey '79. Do you mean a Steel?? I saw that a few times in Musician's Friend!

As for the main question, I use brass 'cause it's indestructible (damn near, anyway).

#6 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

You really want to get authentic use a hambone or a straight razor.

#7 OFFLINE   RockabillyBomber

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 29-November 07

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

I actually used my pocketknife's blade once for a slide! It was cool!

#8 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,244 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

79Lespaul said:

Hi Kirk,
What gauge strings do you play on slide? I saw this gadget for lap steel guitar that looked like an anvil with a handle. Is this too much or should I try a particular brand? which one do you prefere?
I use 16 - 18 - 24 - 34 - 44 - 54, so that's a B string I use for the E string. Gives me a BIG note on that top string.

I'm nor sure about brands, I'm afraid. I have my slides made for me and I sell them if you're interested. They're a little shorter than most as I don't need them long to play in Standard/Dropped D. Here is where you can find out more:

Brass slides

#9 OFFLINE   79Lespaul

• Active Members
  • 375 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hi Kirk...Wow! 16 0n the E ! I looked at the brass slide you suggested and I wanted to know why go with the short slide vs slide that covers all strings?
I'm interested in seeing these custom guitars you spoke of. Are these for more advanced players like you or for most anybody wanting a great slide to play?
Is a lap steel slide overkill?

#10 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,244 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

79Lespaul said:

Hi Kirk...Wow! 16 0n the E ! I looked at the brass slide you suggested and I wanted to know why go with the short slide vs slide that covers all strings?
I'm interested in seeing these custom guitars you spoke of. Are these for more advanced players like you or for most anybody wanting a great slide to play?
Is a lap steel slide overkill?
In Standard or Dropped-D, you don't really need to span the 6 strings. Chords are 'smaller' than that in those tunings, whereas open tuning chords are the full span. It's more comfortable wearing a shorter one.

I'm not sure what custom guitars you're asking about. :dunno:

#11 OFFLINE   Music Man

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 22-January 08

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

Its true that there a lot of different types of Slides, and how to use them. However, no one has talked about Porcelain. Lets get with the rock people! If Porcelain was good enought for Aerosmith its good enough for me. Plus this slide will absorb moisture from your finger so the slide dosen't slip off. Here is an example of a Porcelain slide.

#12 OFFLINE   SlickCat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,649 posts
  • Joined 25-March 06

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

I have tried Brass, Chrome, Porcelain,Glass and copper.
The Copper slide had a gritty thin tone.
The Chrome gave a lot of harmonics and was bright sounding.
The brass has nice sustain and isnt as bright as chrome. It gives a nice growl to the notes..
Porcelain is smooth has less sustain has a mellow tone.
Glass sustains well (if its thick) Its very smooth on the strings (less sliding noise) has less harmonics than Brass or Chome.
My fave is heavy brass...followed by heavy glass.
I like 15mm ID and 2 inch length (I bar all six strings)

Trying lots of slides is part of the fun of slide guitar :)
SlipSliding_______away

#13 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

I had a carbon fiber slide once. It sucked. No tone, no volume.

#14 OFFLINE   GeetarGal101

• Active Members
  • 259 posts
  • Joined 19-June 07

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

I use all kinds of slides...brass, copper, glass, steel, and a ceramic Mudslide. I have even put a glass slide over the top of a brass Rockslide. My least favorite is steel...just too bright of a sound for me. I prefer the thicker Dunlop glass slides, the 215 in particular, for electric guitars. On my acoustic, I use the Mudslide.

#15 OFFLINE   79Lespaul

• Active Members
  • 375 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

I have not heard anybody say yet if a lap steel guitar slide was good for an electric guitar or if it was too much slide!
Ob-La-Di , Ob-La-Da , Life Goes On !, La La La La Life Goes On! The Beatles

#16 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

It is too much slide unless you play lap style.

#17 OFFLINE   GeetarGal101

• Active Members
  • 259 posts
  • Joined 19-June 07

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

79Lespaul said:

I have not heard anybody say yet if a lap steel guitar slide was good for an electric guitar or if it was too much slide!

I can see no reason why it wouldn't work, but they are designed for playing a guitar while it sits on your lap, flat in front of you. Since they don't fit on your finger, I would think it hard to use one while holding a guitar in the normal manner.

T-Bone Walker played his guitar adjusted where it was nearly flat in front of him while he played, though.

#18 OFFLINE   79Lespaul

• Active Members
  • 375 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

Well, whats got me on the lap steel guitar question is I've been struggling with slides for years and never realised why I was having difficutly until Kirk suggested a HEAVIER slide! It has dawned on me that the WEIGHT of the slide helps you to play slide easier and sound better! Kirk, correct me if I'm wrong! The composition of the slide obviously matters too, but only an expert can take a light weight slide and make it work!

#19 OFFLINE   bolerama

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 19-March 07

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

Lap slides are like bars of metal, all heavy steel chrome or brass. You certainly would have to play it lap steel style with your left hand cupped over the slide, your back fingers muting what you don't want sounded and your guitar turned flat like a dobro. I have to agree with guitar gal. To each his own but I'd stick to a nice heavy brass slide. The heavy strings that Kirk suggests are needed partly so you don't bang into your frets and make a bunch of unwanted noise.

#20 OFFLINE   79Lespaul

• Active Members
  • 375 posts
  • Joined 31-December 07

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

I guess the best thing to do if you can is to have a guitar set up just for slide and nothing else! ? The perfect setup? ? Best to let a pro do it for you?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users