shonie777

Raven West Guitars

shonie777    3

:winkthumb: I been eye-balling these Raven West Guitars for awhile now and have been reading nothing but positive reviews about them. I finally placed a bid on one (RM300DX) on E-bay and won. I also won another bid for a Raven West (RX620J) from another seller, it's a wicked purple.

I own a Gibson Studio and Takamine 370 acoustic. I was looking to buy another Gibson and came across the Raven West line of guitars. I am quite happy with my Gibson Studio, but I really like the look of the Raven West line of guitars and I was willing to take this chance, simply because of all the good reviews they have been getting. Personally I think they are gonna get pretty big real soon. But that's just my opinion.

I'll be sure to post a review of these guitars when I get them.

Has anyone else here bought or used a Raven West? I'd like to hear from you.

By the way, this is my first post here. Glad to be here.

Shonie

knight46    2

Hello Shonie and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new axes, several of the members have nothing but good things to saw about Ravens. Post some pics when they arrive.

shonie777    3

Yeah, thanks for the feedback. All those positive reviews on them ultimately made me decide on purchasing these two (yes, 2 guitars) on E-bay.

Like I said, I was looking to buy another Gibson Le Paul, but I dunno what came over me to want to try these bad boys out.

I'm not a hard-core serious player, I just love a good guitar I can play around with. I have no dreams of becoming a rock-star or joining a band, like I said, I just love guitars.

I have many friends that have bands here in Arizona. One in particular is Ethnic De Generation. One hell of a Native American metal band that's been around for sometime. The leader of the the band (Billy) is one of my best friends and he's really interested in trying out my Ravens when they arrive. He has been using ESPs for a long time and he's looking forward to giving these Ravens a try. You can check out their music on myspace. I'd post the URL but this forum won't let me until I post 5 or more posts on here. But you can do a search on them on myspace and find their music there.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post some pics and sound samples on my website sheepheadfilmsdotcom for all to see and hear.

Anyone else with any comments on Ravens, please let me hear what you have to say.

Thanks,

Shonie

shonie777    3

Thanks for the link to that thread. Interesting. One of my Ravens (RM300DX) is suppose to arrive today. I sit here waiting for the UPS dude to show up. I hate waiting.

Shonie

shonie777    3

My RM300DX came Just came in! Good God! I've died and gone to guitar heaven! This baby is beautiful!!! And well made!! One heavy guitar too! I can not wait to plug this puppy in to my Line 6 Spider III 120 after work. Oh yeah, I finally got my FBV board in too for my Spider III. That's nice too. Anyway, here's some pics.

6559.attach

6560.attach

6561.attach

6562.attach

6563.attach

Animalfarm    0

I just recieved my first Raven West RM300DX git 2 days ago, will provide a bit of feedback. I currently own a 1979 Gibson "the Paul". and an Epi Les paul Studio "Worn Brown" finish, sO I have a couple of others to use a comparison standards:

Out of curiosity, I scarfed up a Raven West LP copy based on appearance and previous

product reviews. I 've had the Raven git for a day, played, did string change and set-up,

stripped it apart to look at the insides, looked for blems, etc. Info as follows:

EPI LP Studio -

Duh, we know what it has. Specifically, Alnico Classic humbuckers, Grover Tuners,

Big 500K pots inside. It plays like it plays, yassuh! (Me like how it plays).

Raven West LP (RM300DX) - (Now coming to you from Indonesia?)

Body Weight - Same as Studio.

Neck - Slightly thinner than studio, feels thinner when played, but not bad.

Visual appeal - Wow! What you see in the website pix IS what you get, It is one

pretty guitar! All trim and inlays up to snuff. The Gold plated Pickup covers go with

the finish (+10), however the tuners, bridge, and tailpiece are "satin" finish. Blecchh...

would look 1000% better if ALL were shiny gold.

Electronics - Has G and B brand pickups (who dat?). Adequate output, but doesn't have the sustain

or "kick you in the nads" output/sound of Alnicos or better. (Not a lot of low-end output).

The tone volume pots are 500K, but are only as big around as a US nickel. HUH? When turning up the knobs, the pickup out put gently increases, but no significant crunch until hitting volume/tone level 7 out of 10, then it kicks in. I play my EPI around midrange, then turn

up from there if needed.

Overall - Actually a decent guitar, but needs upgrades to make it PLAY as good as it LOOKS.

But what do you expect for Ebay $250 - $300? I'm actually pleased with it, but gotta admit, it

sho' don't play as good as EPI! Beautiful git, with upgrades would be a keeper.

My long range plans are to upgrade my EPI pickups, then tranfer the "stock" Alnicos to the Raven,

change small pots to larger EPI-style pots, look for bargains on gold plated hardware... That's it, folks.

7990.attach

7991.attach

shonie777    3

Dude, my Raven totally out weighs my Gibson Studio big time bro. At least by 1/3 more. Hurts my back after a while.

According to the guy from Raven West, mine came from Korea.

My Raven neck is basically the same as my Gibson Studio. Just the Raven neck is bound and my Gibson Studio is not.

I never took mine apart. I change the strings and set it up. Mine friggin' rocks, nearly or just as good as my Gibson Studio.

Only problem I had was the nut gave out a few months ago. I got that replaced, no biggie.

I agree that all the gold hardware on the Raven should be all glossy instead of satin. It definately would look much better.

I wish they made an all black Raven LP, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I too bought my Raven out of curiosity. I already had a Gibson Studio LP. The Raven look purdy, so thought I'd give it a shot. it is a good deal for the price. In my opinion.

Shonie

eddiez152    129

Very, Very nice. I have a RG450 blue/purple quilt, another young fellow I know here has one as well, and my friend smort has the RG450 VBY. Thought about the one you got, love the color. Congrats.

eddiez152    129

Ha!

I did not notice that. But I don't remember seeing the picture of the sunburst red. But then again :wheelchai don't help.:winkthumb:

By the way, you and the band are doing fine out there.

shonie777    3

Thanks Eddie. We're trying to get a new album (CD) together. My first time wearing the hat of the recording engineer. I'm learning a lot though, lots of fun exploring what I can do with my recording stuff. Mics, firewire mixer, monitors, Apple Soundtrack Pro, etc..

FYI....I got Cubase LE software with my mixer. The program crashed on me the first time I tried recording with it. I went through all the troubleshooting to try and fix the problem, but it kept on crashing. So I stuck with my Apple Soundtrack Pro. It does everything Cubase LE does, but it doesn't crash on my Mac G5.

Shonie

Hey Shonie, how does the sound of your Ravenwest compare to your Les Paul?

Do you still have your Raven West RM300DX?

Did you put new pickups in it? I just ordered the LP Knockoff...RM300DX and I'm waiting for my Alnico II Pro Pickups to arrive so I can ship them to Eric so he can get them installed for me and send me my guitar... I hate waiting. :( But I can't wait to get my hands on it!

I chose to buy it over a Gibson LP...Hopefully it wasn't a mistake!

shonie777    3

I'm pretty sure once you do all your upgrades you'll be happy with it. I still have mine. Aint played it in months, it's just hanging on the wall with some of my other guitars. I been busy with my new VG Strat and my Seagull S12 I just got back from the shop. The Raven just seems too darn purdy to play with. It still looks brand spankin new and I'd hate to scratch it or something. But since you mentioned it, I think I'll take her down and play with her a bit today after work.

I was thinking of replacing the pick ups too. Dunno what kind just yet. I know I'll void the warranty if I do it my self, but heck, it's a solid guitar and I don't see anything major happening to it anytime soon. I had a fret buzzing on it awhile back, but I took it to my luthier for repair instead of shipping it back to Raven. My luthier replaced the nut and it was gone and good as new again. That is the one and only issue I had ever had with it.

As far as how it compares to my Gibson, it's pretty darn close if not equal to it. I hear some say the Raven don't even come close, but maybe I got a good one. I ran it through my line 6 spider but that's not a tube amp. Had my friend use it a few times (twice) he plugged into his Krank which is all tube and it friggin rocked hard. A Gibson LP is a Gibson LP. My Gibson is nice, it's my very first electric and I have a bond with it. The Raven is really heavy, much more heavier than my Gibson. It gives me a back ache after playing it standing up for awhile. My Gibson is lighter and don't hurt my back, it's played much more and is in no way in mint condition. It has it's share of dinks, scratches and buckle rash, but nothing really major and I love it.

I have another Raven West too, but it just sits there. I got it off E bay real cheap. It's a shredder model RX620J A real purdy one too, but I'm not a shredder. Only a handfull of people have played it and they seem to love it. Mainly the neck because it's so fast. Maybe someday when I'm long gone and my daughter has all my guitars, it will be worth something. Hopefully more than what I paid for it.

All the best to you and your raven when you get it. let me know how the pick ups work for ya.

Shonie

Ahhh... The VG Strat is one sweet designed guitar.

I'm having Eric install the PUPs for me so that I don't void the warranty... I did mention installing them myself... but didn't want to void the warranty and he said it's usually not a problem if something happens like a loose wire... So I'm not exactly sure where the line draws as far as the warranty issue goes... Although, to be honest... I don't even know what the warranty is. I haven't seen it yet. :eek: Ha.

And thanks for the quick response.

I hear mixed reviews about those G+B (I think they are?) pickups... I haven't played em' or seen em', but on youtube I did manage to find like 3 videos of people playing their RWGs. Not the RM300DX model unfortunately, though. :crying2:

But I still figured I'll throw in some good Duncan pickups for the heck of it. Whats funny is, the pickups cost just as much as the guitar... :claping: I hope they are worth it!

And weight isn't much of a problem for me, I have a Schecter Omen, and that thing is like a hugee paper-weight. I'm not into metal, so I hardly pick it up - but compared to my other guitar (Similiar to a Fender Strat) the Schecter is like a tank in terms of weight.

This will be my first Les Paul style guitar, and hopefully my last... (GAS anyone???) I'm really an acoustic player (absolutely LOVE my Blueridge BR-160A)... I just want the option to have, and own, one of these guitars. :claping:

Cool, thanks man. Unfortunately, I'm at work and can't view the link... :reallymad:

But I'll be sure to check it out when I get home...Tomorrow... Going to the beach for a bonfire tonight after work. :guitardude:

Got home yesterday and watched the video, pretty cool band your friend has goin there :winkthumb:

The stock PUPs sounded pretty good, surprisingly! My Alnico II Pro's (Got both the neck + bridge version) came in the mail yesterday while I was out boarding at Huntington Beach yesterday :eek:

Gonna mail the pickups over to Eric at RavenWest and have him or his tech finally get to installing them... I asked if I could drive there, it's only an hour from where I live but Eric said due to his schedule and how busy they are, they can no longer deal locally :brickwall: That's too bad, I hate being patient. haha.

Anyways, I can't wait to hear those puppies in that guitar, and I can't wait to actually have my hands on it! The time for me to play it is coming.... :guitardude: