allthumbs

1/2 watt tube amp. LOL.

P-90    1

That does look very cool, but I, too, am afraid to look at the price tag.

DIYers have been making 0.3-1.5 watt tube amps for some time, and many of them sound great. Not usually so tiny, though... most use miniature (rather than subminiature) tubes and have built in power supplies instead of wallwarts. But, on the other hand, I can build one for maybe $50, which is... okay, I'm going to look at the price tag now... ouch... 1/10 as much as a Zvex Nano.

But hey, if you're the rock star with everything, might as well buy a Nano or two to toss into the guitar case, eh? And an attenuator to go with, since they left that part out.

Stratrat    0

It would be cool to have a tiny 0.5 watt amp like that for home jamming/recording - but $500 is a bit steep, even considering that it's a "boutique" tube amp. Looks like it would be a fun DIY project to build, though.....doesn't seem too complicated.

AEngland77    0

lol thumbs. Nice input :D ... and speaking of output of this thing- makes you wonder why people want these occasionally huge amps when this thing can pump out a way better sound.. Ego stroking i can only assume :(

Stratrat    0
...makes you wonder why people want these occasionally huge amps when this thing can pump out a way better sound.. Ego stroking i can only assume :(

Exactly. A 100-watt full stack just looks so "RAWK!". Never mind that they're never going to be able to turn the volume much above '1' unless they're playing a stadium or a 50,000-seat arena. Crank that monster up at home or a small club gig and you're going to make half the people in the place go sterile! :isaynothing:

allthumbs    8

True that. A friend of mine was doing his usual gig in his home base bar playing cranked through a half stack. Two teenage girls danced in front of his stack all night. He was astounded that they could stand the volume and was pretty sure that they incurred some hearing loss that night.

krissovo    0
lol thumbs. Nice input :D ... and speaking of output of this thing- makes you wonder why people want these occasionally huge amps when this thing can pump out a way better sound.. Ego stroking i can only assume :(

Going off topic but I love the feel of the air being pushed against me from a 100W Marshal head and stack. I only do this at the rehersal studio and I play with ear protectors but man call me an ego maniac if you will but it gives a great boost of adreinalin to feel that against you especially if you play in drop d!

Stratrat    0
The irony of that amp is that to get the full range of tones, you have to play it as loud as a loud full sized amp.

I guess you could use an attenuator, but it would be bigger than the amp itself! :yes: I'm not even sure how much attenuation you could achieve on a 1/2 watt amp....that's already pretty "attenuated."

AEngland77    0

It seems about as big as a distortion pedal lol. That little thing could, in theory, be a ego stroker too.. Someone hears you playing and asks where your amazing amp is then you point to that little box lol. then they show you their amp that cant put out half of that tone *grin*

Nice post

P-90    1
Oh and what cool amp! Shame I shall probably never get to try it out, I agree about the project idea though any circuit drawings around?

Schematics for recently released boutique products are extremely hard to come by. I suspect that if you want a schematic, you're going to have to get your hands on a Nano and trace all the circuit connections yourself. Oh, and be prepared for parts with the numbers rubbed off or painted over, some boutique outfits like doing that.

Right now, I know of no closer project with readily available schematics than a DIY 1.5 watt amp, the Firefly, designed by Doug Hammond, or some tube stompboxes (no speaker output), or the traditional, circa 5 watt amps like the Valve Jr and the Champ. Any of those are much cheaper than a Nano, but only the stompboxes are close to its size.